Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: New Navy has arrived!  (Read 9930 times)

Offline GaryC

• View Profile
New Navy has arrived!
« on: May 04, 2016, 05:47:20 PM »
Got the Pietta Navy this evening.  Date code CN.  They are going to a grip shape more like the Uberti navy.   The grips feel great in the hand and the pistol balances beautifully.  Visually the grips look to be about the same size as the Uberti London Navy, maybe just slightly longer in the base and slightly narrower in width.  I have Yank, date code CN, the Uberti London Navy (CN), and the Pietta "1862 Army Police" (CL) to compare it with.  The "Army Police" grip has the tail and is longer through the base of the grip, wider, and the wood fit is much worse. 

Wood fit is Much better on the yank than on the 1862 Army Police, on par with the Uberti, but the oil/stain is finish is not up to the Uberti.  Timing and lock up are about perfect.  Action is a bit rough but the trigger breaks clean.  I have not had time to take it apart but external appearance appears to be very good.  So far I'm very happy with it.  Photos will follow when I get time.  Pietta appears to have increased the external quality at least.   Got to get back to work.  $180 was a SMOKIN deal!

&\?

Offline soundguy

• View Profile
Re: New Navy has arrived!
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2016, 06:23:24 PM »
What.. No pics! :)

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2016, 07:07:05 PM »
Got the Pietta Navy this evening.  Date code CN.  They are going to a grip shape more like the Uberti navy.   The grips feel great in the hand and the pistol balances beautifully.  Visually the grips look to be about the same size as the Uberti London Navy, maybe just slightly longer in the base and slightly narrower in width.  I have Yank, date code CN, the Uberti London Navy (CN), and the Pietta "1862 Army Police" (CL) to compare it with.  The "Army Police" grip has the tail and is longer through the base of the grip, wider, and the wood fit is much worse. 

Wood fit is Much better on the yank than on the 1862 Army Police, on par with the Uberti, but the oil/stain is finish is not up to the Uberti.  Timing and lock up are about perfect.  Action is a bit rough but the trigger breaks clean.  I have not had time to take it apart but external appearance appears to be very good.  So far I'm very happy with it.  Photos will follow when I get time.  Pietta appears to have increased the external quality at least.   Got to get back to work.  $180 was a SMOKIN deal!

&\?

GaryC says he'll get around to posting photos later.

Offline LonesomePigeon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2016, 07:21:15 PM »
Nice. Is this one from Cabela's that was on sale $179+free shipping for just one day, a few days ago?

Offline GaryC

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2016, 12:34:00 AM »
Yep LonesomePigeon, it is the Cabela's deal. 

Here are some pictures so you guys can compare the grip shape

The first has the new pistol between the Uberti London Navy above and the "Army Police"  I replaced the fluted cylinder on the "Army Police" so it is more a short barreled 1861 Navy.  The difference in the grip shape between the new and old Piettas is obvious and IMHO a distinct improvement.  The lower rear corner of the back strap is more rounded on The Uberti than on either Pietta.  The new Pietta Navy has no capping groove and the frame is not cut for a shoulder strap but the base of the back strap is.There is more of a gap between the barrel and the loading lever on the Pietta than on the Unerti.  The cylinder scene is clearer on the Uberti.  The trigger guard on the Pietta looks smaller than the Uberti.  The loading notch on the barrel lug is scalloped.  The Uberti Hammer spur is checkered, the Piettas' has parallel grooves.

Here is a comparison photo between the two Pietta grips. 

Here is a comparison photo between the Uberti and new Pietta grip

Just for grins here is a photo of the Uberti 51 Navy and the 61 Navy and the "Army Police" cylinder

Front to back measurement for the base of the grip is as follows
Pietta 1851 Navy Yank: 2.24 inches, date code CN
Uberti London Navy: 2.19 inches, Date code CN
Pietta "Army Police": 2.32 inches, Date code CL

It looks like a good quality gun, especially at the price.

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2016, 04:47:19 AM »
Subtle improvements are always appreciated in firearms, especially handguns.  Of course somewhere, someone, will bemoan the fact the tail is disappearing.

Kevin
Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2016, 09:36:28 AM »
Subtle improvements are always appreciated in firearms, especially handguns.  Of course somewhere, someone, will bemoan the fact the tail is disappearing.

Kevin
Not me!
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2016, 10:11:11 AM »

Of course somewhere, someone, will bemoan the fact the tail is disappearing.

Kevin

Hi Kevin, I won't disappoint you.  :) :) :)

Those Pietta's with tails will eventually become collector pieces.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline sourdough

• 1851 Navy Parts Changer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2016, 11:48:19 AM »

Kevin

Regards,
Richard

I, for one, like the Pietta tail better than their newer grip in the 1851 Navy, G&G, et al. It has a slimmer wrist and is not as blocky as the new one.

For the purists (from Swayze's " '51 Colt Navies") 3rd Model Navies:

Just a sample from his many plates. You guys tell me which one is correct.   ;)

Jim
We have met the enemy, and they is us. Pogo

Offline GaryC

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2016, 02:01:27 PM »
Personally I think the newer Pietta grip feels more comfortable in the hand and points more naturally than the old Pietta grip, but to each his own.   

I still haven't had time to take it apart or shoot it.  I noted that the cut out in the recoil shield looks rather small.  We will see if capping is harder than on the other two.  Gonna try to shoot it this weekend.  My teenage kids both want to try it.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2016, 02:15:47 PM »
Good photo comparison GaryC.   

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2016, 03:33:27 PM »

Kevin

Regards,
Richard

I, for one, like the Pietta tail better than their newer grip in the 1851 Navy, G&G, et al. It has a slimmer wrist and is not as blocky as the new one.

For the purists (from Swayze's " '51 Colt Navies") 3rd Model Navies:

Just a sample from his many plates. You guys tell me which one is correct.   ;)

Jim

That's not nearly as much flair as Pietta has.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline sourdough

• 1851 Navy Parts Changer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2016, 04:16:00 PM »
That's not nearly as much flair as Pietta has.

I could waste forum space and post all of Swayze's plates to show the differences between all original Colt 1851 Navies, but I would prefer you all to buy the book.

It's pretty close. Most folks don't take into consideration the extreme curve of the pre-2015  Pietta  lower trigger guard that mates with the "tail" backstrap, wherein the base of the backstrap is very long, compared with an Uberti, ASM, ASP, et al.

The "older" Pietta grip/backstrap/TG, (the "tail" version) as a unit, are completely different than the new style. They are not interchangeable within those parts, but are interchangeable as a 3-piece unit from Pietta  pistol to pistol.

I will say this: there are many folks who completely disdain the Pietta "tail" grips and the pistols in total. Good for them.

I challenge anyone to show what a "true" 1851 Navy grip should look like and prove it. Photos, footnotes, et al, are a must.

Any takers?

Bring it on!

Jim

We have met the enemy, and they is us. Pogo

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2016, 05:19:01 PM »
I don't disdain anything about them. I also understand about the front strap but that coupled with the back strap gives Pietta grips the trumpet shape Colt never had. The new Pietta grips are closer to what Colt ended up with than the old grips are to anything Colt ever used.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline GaryC

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2016, 05:43:37 PM »
Jim, I don't disdain the older Pietta grip shape.  I bought one and have shot it a lot and will keep enjoying it. I even had a lot of fun and learned a lot tinkering to get it to run right.  BUT the newer shape feels more natural to me, to my eye looks better and, yes, I think to is closer to the original.  That's my subjective opinion.  I also think that the barrel contours of the short barreled 61 Navy are more angular around wedge slot and clearance for loading than on a original. Other reproductions are closer. So what?  I can understand that it helps keep the price down to do it that way so I'm good with it but I still think it is not as close to the original Colts.  It is still a fun gun to shoot and will still give you a feel for what it was like to shoot the originals.

One thing more.  The overall quality improvement in fit and finish between two Pietta samples I own is significant.  The earlier one required significant tinkering to get it running good.  This one appears to have perfect timing and lockup, the bolt fits the notches, and the wood/metal fit is excellent.  Looks like Pietta is making real improvements in quality especially as they are keeping their price point. 

Just as an aside, one other difference I noticed between the Uberti and the new Pietta was the ram for the loading lever.  The Pietta is about 1/8th inch shorter and doesn't have the sharp edge that the Uberti has.  It is blunter and looks better for round balls and the lee type conicals.

Regards
gary