Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Richards Model  (Read 17292 times)

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
Richards Model
« on: September 14, 2011, 03:00:56 AM »
To open this category, an old shot of my Richards conversion.  This revolver is cut for the original 44 Colt cartridge and is a joy to shoot.

Nice smooth path to the chambers.

With a watch from 1870 built by the National Watch Co.

And finally with another conversion, a bastardized conversion no less!

Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline Rock Island

• The Man With The Gun
    • View Profile
Re: Richards Model
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 05:44:44 AM »
Very nice, I collect watches as well as other things, that's a nice one, running?
Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready

Don't hit at all if you can help it; don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep."

Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far
                     Theodore Roosevelt

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 03:17:44 AM »
Very nice, I collect watches as well as other things, that's a nice one, running?

Yes, it does.  A daily wind, it is key would and key set.  The only problem is that it looses a good deal of time each day and I can not find a watchsmith who can regualte the works.

I will photo graph and post better photos if you would care to see them.  It is a Ryerson model from the National Watch Co.  National became Elgin.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline Rock Island

• The Man With The Gun
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 05:47:17 AM »
I have the same problem with watch repair, my guy up and died a few years ago and I need to find another.  There are places to send them online but I hate to have any of my watches out of my sight.  I have five movements needing repair, everything from cleaning and lube to balance staff replacement.  I bought some inexpensive nickle 18 size cases and swapped my movements into them in case I do have to mail them out.  I am not sending a 18k gold case through the mail insured or not, with todays prices spiking $1800+ an ounce we are talking a serious amount of money these days .  A watch worn daily needs to be cleaned and lubricated at least once every two years, if yours is already losing time stop winding it and let it run down, if you keep using it with dry bearings the damage will only increase as will the cost of the repair.  Already you are looking at near $300 to fix that

Don't hit at all if you can help it; don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep."

Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2011, 08:31:04 PM »
Nice, Rock! I love old watches, but don't own any. :(
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Rock Island

• The Man With The Gun
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2011, 06:14:15 AM »
They can be had for under a couple of hundred bucks if you look for one with around seven jewels and a nickle case.  The skyrocketing price of silver and gold have driven th price of the watches using that metal into the thousands for gold, and at least a hundred bucks or more higher for silver.  That eagle watch of mine is six ounces of Sterling silver, the gold Elgin is 4 ounces of 18 K gold, at $1800+ an ounce you do the math.  I have been priced out of the fancy stuff.  Nickle is the metal that was used in everyday watches because it holds up well, sometimes you will find high grade movements in such plain cases.  Gold was for church, or if you were a banker, it was not an everyday watch.  Silver was stronger, but still wore faster and tarnished, coin silver was also used, it held up a bit better.  Do not confuse gold with gold filled however, gold filling is a layering of a thin sheet of gold over a brass backing, these cases can be had cheaper.  Railroad grade movements were of the highest grade, these cost as much as a years pay back then for the ordinary ticket puncher, 21 jewels, adjusted eight ways, highly calibrated movements, but the cases were open face, and ofte nickle so they would hold up to being handled hundreds of times a day.  I have two such movements in the collection, they are not pictured here, both are works of art as are all of these watches.  Even the parts you never see are engine turned, blued, polished.

Theodore Roosevelt

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2011, 04:25:39 AM »
RI,

Sounds like you and I have a love of the old watches.  Having visited some of the pocket watch sites, we are not alone but those guys are SERIOUS.  Perhaps we need a pocket watch section on this forum ;) not really but watches and Colts seem to go together.

On my monitor, your photos appear so large it makes them difficult to view.  Do you post them that large or is it on my end?

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline Junkman

• Happy in N.E. Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2011, 10:29:16 AM »
It's not your end. The pictures are large 1024x768 pixcels. Usually 800 px wide is MORE than sufficient.
I AM the devil's advocate.

Offline Rock Island

• The Man With The Gun
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2011, 05:00:20 AM »
I link the pics from photobucket.com, I don't remember what the original size was, but I probably took these with a 15 mp camera so they would be big.  I stopped resizing pics when I got out of dialup, took me forever to do it, and I hated resizing.  Yea, they are serious about watches, me, I dabble in it, or used to before they got so expensive.  I used to find them at flea markets, or on ebay sometimes, a few I inherited.

Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Drayton Calhoun

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2011, 09:00:35 PM »
A fine watch and a fine gun are both works of art and you gents have both!

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2013, 09:42:22 AM »
New photos.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2013, 09:45:49 PM »
And it's STILL gorgeous!
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2013, 04:33:01 AM »
And it's STILL gorgeous!

Thank you but that is a different revolver!  Here is a photo of the pair.

www.NoonSharpening.com