Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Pietta 1851 Navy .36 And Confederate Cousins  (Read 6124 times)

Offline sourdough

• 1851 Navy Parts Changer
    • View Profile
Pietta 1851 Navy .36 And Confederate Cousins
« on: October 20, 2016, 04:38:59 PM »
My project is to use 3 Pietta 1851 Navy .36 pistols to create an 1851 Navy Second Model, an 1851 Navy Third/Fourth Model, a Leech and Rigdon, a Schneider and Glassick, and a Griswold and Gunnison, along with a fantasy 1851 Navy Dragoon, and at least 7 other fantasy pistols (your choice: mix and match parts).

All are Italian replicas. All were bought from Cabela's on sale except for the G&G (at full price) over a 3-year period. I have ~$600 invested.

(In advance, I apologize for the picture quality. My 10-year-old Olympus digital camera went south a few weeks ago, so these pictures are from my wife's phone camera.)

One may notice that Pietta (before 2015) case colors the trigger; these are now blued.

The goal, using 3 Pietta pistols, was to create them by only swapping frames, barrels, and cylinders. No screws or screwdriver involved.

The original pistol for the project was an 1851 Navy (2014 [CM]) steel frame with a RB TG. I ordered a SB TG from Taylor's for this specific model, and while it took a bit for the total shipment of parts from Pietta to clear Customs, et al, it arrived and was installed with no fitting. Hence, an 1851 Navy Second Model. The wood is not original; rather from Ebay and is European hardwood, not walnut. It has the "tail" gripframe configuration, not to be confused with the next two pistols. Engraved cylinder.

The 1851 Navy (2016 [CP]) steel frame Third/Fourth Model. Engraved cylinder.

The Leech and Rigdon: 1851 Navy steel with the G&G barrel and plain cylinder. [CP] frame.

The Schneider and Glassick: The G&G brass frame with an 1851 navy octagonal barrel and plain cylinder. [CN] frame.

The Griswold and Gunnison: Brass frame and half octagonal/half round barrel, plain cylinder [CN] frame.

And my fantasy pistol: an 1851 Navy Dragoon .36. The lines are better than the octagonal barrel, and it is just purty! [CM] frame.

Well, I hope you enjoyed.

Any critiques welcomed.

Jim

We have met the enemy, and they is us. Pogo

Offline LonesomePigeon

• View Profile
Re: Pietta 1851 Navy .36 And Confederate Cousins
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2016, 07:13:16 PM »
Yes I enjoyed it. 

Offline sourdough

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2016, 04:08:42 PM »
I posted this on this forum, as well as on another well known forum. I got many more replies on the other forum.

Are you folks lame insofar as responses? I hope not.

I challenge you.

Good luck with that.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 04:10:48 PM by sourdough »

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2016, 04:50:39 PM »
LAME?!!! Why...I oughta.... J*j
Nice job of mix 'n match, Jim.  The last one is a real interesting piece. Wondering if you couldn't do sort of a London Navy thing by blacking the brass on it? Anyway, props on using the ol' noggin and mixing it up.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2016, 06:14:24 PM »

Are you folks lame insofar as responses?

It's only been 24 hours since your original post.   Maybe you should give it a little more time before insinuating this forum is inhabited by a bunch of lame individuals insofar as reacting to your post......   Or maybe I just don't have anything to say about part swapping the '51 Navy.

Offline sltm1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2016, 09:03:59 AM »
Nice pic's...feel better now?

Offline Fingers McGee

• Branson State Match, 2009
    • View Profile
    • Central Ozarks Western Shooters
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2016, 04:37:54 PM »
I posted this on this forum, as well as on another well known forum. I got many more replies on the other forum.

Are you folks lame insofar as responses? I hope not.

I challenge you.

Good luck with that.

Nice work Sourdough.  I have been having hip trouble lately   (^^

Been out of town & not checking internet. 
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts; SASS 28564-L-TG, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline sourdough

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2016, 04:59:45 PM »
Sorry for posting the "lame" response. Apologies to all. You folks have always been VERY good here and I just might have had a slip of the mind (most probably so).

Thank you all for your responses, positive and negative. I am embarrassed at my actions.

Humbly,

Jim
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 05:01:17 PM by sourdough »

Offline sourdough

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2016, 05:22:48 PM »
Nice job of mix 'n match, Jim.  The last one is a real interesting piece. Wondering if you couldn't do sort of a London Navy thing by blacking the brass on it? Anyway, props on using the ol' noggin and mixing it up.

Never occurred to me to black the brass. Is that to make it look blued like an 1860 Colt or an 1851 Colt London Navy? If so, I would have to procure more parts in order to do so, and that would not be in the budget. Nice idea, though.

I still want to entertain the idea of ordering a Pietta J.H. Dance and Brothers pistol in .44, but this pistol has a non-rebated cylinder and a non-cut water table, and fitting a Pietta .36 1851 Navy barrel and cylinder to it might be an option. It might be a long shot, and others have done it with mixed fitting results, but I would have to save up ~$350 for next years project as no one is giving them away.

Pie in the sky, so far.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2016, 07:48:35 PM »
Sourdough,  wasn't looking for an apology.  Just thought you might want to give it some time.   I realize you were looking for some enthusiasm for your projects.   I'm guilty of reacting too harshly to your comments,  I don't normally do things like that so I apologize for my reaction.    I don't want to discourage anyone from posting about whatever interests them.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2016, 03:35:52 AM »
Hi sourdough, doesn't that leave you conflicted trying to decide which revolver combination you want that day? Those poor revolvers must be having an identity crisis not knowing who they will be?  (7+" (7+" (7+"

Seriously, there is one thing nice about the Pietta's, parts can be swapped and they fit together. I'm almost convinced that Pietta would like to have only one revolver to machine and then paint it to look like different models. This was one of my confused revolvers that kept screaming to be returned to original after physiological counseling, an 1860 frame with .44 1851 barrel in .45 Colt:

Regards,
Richard

There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline sourdough

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2016, 04:53:02 PM »
Hi sourdough, doesn't that leave you conflicted trying to decide which revolver combination you want that day? Those poor revolvers must be having an identity crisis not knowing who they will be?  (7+" (7+" (7+"

Seriously, there is one thing nice about the Pietta's, parts can be swapped and they fit together. I'm almost convinced that Pietta would like to have only one revolver to machine and then paint it to look like different models. This was one of my confused revolvers that kept screaming to be returned to original after physiological counseling, an 1860 frame with .44 1851 barrel in .45 Colt:

Regards,
Richard

Well, Richard, as soon as I find a pistol psychologist/psychiatrist I'll let you know what the pistols think!  )lI

You are most correct about interchangeability of Pietta CNC parts. I sure hope they don't paint parts like some of the 1911 enthusiasts prefer. Seriously Ugly!

If I had the money, I would do a .22 conversion cylinder with the Navy .36, but that is a long way down the road, if that. I envy you folks that do conversions.

You folks have a good evening.

Jim