Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Pietta 1858 target on sale  (Read 9720 times)

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
Pietta 1858 target on sale
« on: November 25, 2016, 09:24:04 AM »
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
Re: Pietta 1858 target on sale
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2016, 03:27:04 PM »
With your penchant for guns being POA, you will absolutely love it, Richard. )lI
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Eric N.

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2016, 07:06:05 PM »
Besides the sights,is anything else different? 
The easy we make difficult,the difficult we make imposable.  Some days its so true.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2016, 07:37:14 PM »
Nope,  other than the fact the frame and barrel are machined differently to accommodate the target sights.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2016, 04:58:53 AM »
Hi, the $250 sale is gone, gone, gone.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2016, 08:44:58 AM »
Hi, my new $250 Pietta 1858 Target arrived today. It is perfect in both fit and finish, see:

I installed a Wolff reduced power spring and needed to thin one bolt leg so that the Howell .45 Colt cylinder would function properly. A quick check with a laser bore sighter shows that the front sight will need to be increased in height by at least 1/4". There isn't any rear sight adjustment that could bring the poi=poa when using 250gr .45 Colt bullets. I think my path is to make a new front sight out of brass to replace the old front sight.

Regards,
Richard

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2016, 05:06:19 AM »
Hi, I found a photo of what one person did to add height to his Pietta 1858 Target front sight:

That looks a little ugly, but maybe a nicer form could be made with brass and then soldered to the front sight insert?

BTW, the front sight of the 1858 Target is a bit complex, there is a longitudinal dove tail that would be hard to replicate by an amateur. Adding height to the existing front site looks like a good path.

Regards,
Richard

Offline sourdough

• 1851 Navy Parts Changer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2016, 05:28:41 PM »
Richard,

Very nice looking pistol. Have fun.

I just cannot get into Remmies.

1851 Colt guy forever.

Still, you have a very nice looking pistol, sir.

Sorry to reiterate.

Jim
We have met the enemy, and they is us. Pogo

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2016, 07:18:48 PM »
You will enjoy shooting it, Richard.
Even though the sights are not OEM, they work and quite well. I was able to adjust mine to POA at 25yds and it's a tack driver.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2016, 07:52:59 PM »
You will enjoy shooting it, Richard.
Even though the sights are not OEM, they work and quite well. I was able to adjust mine to POA at 25yds and it's a tack driver.

Hi Kirk, you got poi=poa? That was with ~30gr powder and balls?

There is no adjustment to the rear sight of the Pietta Target that will let me get anywhere close to having poi=poa using .45 Colt and 250gr bullets.

I started to cut a front sight extension from 1/8" thick brass. Need to figure a way for a holding fixture to solder on the brass extension true to a replacement part front sight. Then I can keep the original front sight for shooting C&B.

Regards,
Richard

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2016, 08:04:03 PM »
No, if memory serves that was with 25gr Pyrodex? Remember; this is the Project Remmy with the gas ring cut in the cylinder (thus less room for powder & ball). I'll dig through my archives and see if I can find the exact load for you.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2016, 09:03:50 AM »
Hi, I ordered from VTI a replacement Pietta Target front sight to bugger to a taller sight. However, it has now been a few days and still no email that it shipped. This has me thinking that the replacement sight isn't available. I really don't want to screw up the original front sight. The brass extension has been roughed in and will need final shaping:

After rough shaping the upper part extension the extension would be silver soldered to the Target's steel sight. I am still concerned that the finished revolver will look weird and asking myself if I really need this 1858. I already have 11 other 1858s and thinking of just reinstalling the original sight and giving the Pietta Target to my son-in-law for his birthday next year. I understand that the rear sight adjustments are all that is necessary for the Pietta Target to have poi-poa with C&B.

While entertaining this option, I ordered a 1/4x1/4" free machining brass bar to try making the longitudinal dovetail base attachment that would be dovetailed perpendicular to the base length to dovetail in a taller brass dovetail sight. Considering the time and materials, this could end up being a $200 sight solution to a $250 revolver. Oh well, winter is here where shooting anything larger than .22s is unlikely. What else do I have to do.

Edit: just after posting this message, I got my today's mail and there was the new replacement Pietta Target sight from VTI. Interesting that VTI never sent an email on shipping. The brass sight extension option is now back in play.

Regards,
Richard 

« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 10:14:51 AM by ssb73q »

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2016, 07:19:57 AM »
Hi, the brass sight extension was silver soldered to a replacement front sight and cut to shape, see:

The part will be polished, the steel component blued and the brass part blackened.

Regards,
Richard

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2016, 11:40:45 AM »
Hi, well here it is, one solution to a too low front sight on the Pietta 1858 Target:

Laser boresighting shows that the front sight is just a little too high now, but that's with the rear sight screwed all the way down. Raising the rear sight just a little should now have .45 Colt with 250gr bullets hit poi=poa @25yds.

There are a couple things I'm not too happy with, the first is that the sight sticks out past the barrel ~0.008" with the screw installed. I will need to remove the sight to shorten the front of the sight to fit properly. I don't like continually installing and removing dovetails, they loosen up every time removed and installed. The second issue is that the bluing of the original sight and blackening of the brass extension don't match in color. If I do remove the sight, I'll fix the length and paint the sight.

The new sight is so tall that low flying birds better beware.

Franky, it frosts my ass that Pietta offers an 1858 Target revolver where the poi can't be brought to the poa. Shame on Pietta for this. If you are looking for a Pietta 1858 revolver where the poi=poa most closely, the fixed sight 1858 is the preferred revolver. It's also lower cost.

Regards,
Richard

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2016, 10:49:30 AM »
Hi, as most of you that know me, I'm a f...ing perfectionist when it comes to my firearms. I couldn't stand the difference in color and too long length of the brass front sight extension to my Pietta 1858 Target revolver. The front sight was shortened to the correct length and spray painted flat black. This is the revolver with the higher sight installed:

BTW, that yellow line under the sight is uncured Loctite that was removed after the photo.

Being a perfectionist doesn't allow me control the weather, it's snowing outside. It may take a few months before I can do the final sighting in.

Regards,
Richard