Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Anybody Still Make Navy With A Square Trigger Guard?  (Read 16194 times)

Offline LonesomePigeon

• View Profile
Re: Anybody Still Make Navy With A Square Trigger Guard?
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2017, 10:03:50 AM »
Eric, thanks for the info. I am glad to hear the Pietta squareback 1851 Navy has the new grip style. I like the looks of the squareback, I definitely want to get one now.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2017, 10:25:55 AM »
Hi Lonesome, i am pretty impressed with Dixie. I ordered the Squareback 1851 yesterday and it was shipped yesterday, due to arrive Thursday. Ordered another Wolff reduced power spring for it. Will adjust the hand so I can shoot 38 colt/38 Special conversion cylinders with it.

The Squareback should also make for a nice display revolver.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2017, 11:17:18 AM »
I seem to recall an employee or member of the family that makes Pietta guns posting on various black powder boards a few years ago. I'm sure Hawg or Fingers McGee will remember him too.

I recall the same.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2017, 01:48:18 PM »
I seem to recall an employee or member of the family that makes Pietta guns posting on various black powder boards a few years ago. I'm sure Hawg or Fingers McGee will remember him too.

I recall the same.

I think that was Alessandro Pietta on TFL. He's Pietta's CEO. Anthony Imperato CEO of Henry Arms has graced a gun forum or two and Martin Tuason CEO of Rock Island Armory posts on one of the 1911 forums and has a Facebook page.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline sourdough

• 1851 Navy Parts Changer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2017, 03:09:04 PM »
Hi Lonesome, i am pretty impressed with Dixie. I ordered the Squareback 1851 yesterday and it was shipped yesterday, due to arrive Thursday. Ordered another Wolff reduced power spring for it. Will adjust the hand so I can shoot 38 colt/38 Special conversion cylinders with it.

Regards,
Richard

The .38 Special is a .357 diameter bullet and will rattle down the .380 barrel with no accuracy at all.

Save your money, Richard.

Jim
We have met the enemy, and they is us. Pogo

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2017, 03:30:10 PM »

The .38 Special is a .357 diameter bullet and will rattle down the .380 barrel with no accuracy at all.

Save your money, Richard.

Jim

Hi Jim, I shoot .38 Special using conversion cylinders in my different .36 caliber BP revolvers. Accuracy is very good using hollow based wadcutters (HBWC). Have over a thousand loaded for shooting this year.

You are correct about the bore size issue, but the hollow bullet base fills the rifling nicely where you can get good accuracy. One could also shoot correct sized heeled bullets with 38 Short Colt, but handloading them is a RPITA, the crimp is the issue. I have all the dies, but it's not worth the effort. The HBWC will surprise you with good accuracy. I use Magnus and Speer 148gr bullets with 2.7gr TrailBoss powder. Of course, the accuracy of 2.5-3" groups @25yds isn't match winning accuracy, but for general steel target shooting works great.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Bishop Creek

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2017, 07:54:58 PM »

I recall the same.

I think that was Alessandro Pietta on TFL. He's Pietta's CEO. Anthony Imperato CEO of Henry Arms has graced a gun forum or two and Martin Tuason CEO of Rock Island Armory posts on one of the 1911 forums and has a Facebook page.

I think you right Hawg, I recall that name now.
My biggest concern is that when I pass away, my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2017, 12:36:18 PM »
Hi, my new Pietta 1851 Squareback ordered from Dixie Monday just came in the door. I will tear down the revolver for a more through inspection tomorrow, but have formed an initial opinion. The fit and steel finish of the revolver is excellent. The timing perfect with a 0.004" cylinder/barrel gap. However, the brass is somewhat stained and not typical of recent Pietta revolvers received. I hope that the staining isn't too deep where brasso will take care of that issue. I will try to polish out the brass tomorrow.

The nipples will be removed and reinstalled with anti-seize. The internal parts will be stoned. The hand will be adjusted to allow use of the 38 Colt/38 Special conversion cylinder. It may be a few days before I receive the Wolff reduced power spring to install.

Bottom line is that this squareback 1851 appears to be an excellent revolver for the $250 cost.

I will post photos when the revolver is cleaned up and assembled.

Regards,
Richard

Offline sourdough

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2017, 02:38:02 PM »
Richard, welcome to the squareback fanciers club! Brass patina is a good thing.

Awaiting pics!

Jim
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 02:39:54 PM by sourdough »

Offline Daf57

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2017, 03:10:59 PM »
Hi, my new Pietta 1851 Squareback ordered from Dixie Monday just came in the door.However, the brass is somewhat stained and not typical of recent Pietta revolvers received.
Regards,
Richard

Got mine yesterday and noticed the same issue with the brass - some staining and a few small pits as well. Also there are some grip fit issues - a bit of excess wood on the heel of the backstrap. Could have used a bit more sanding there. You can definitely feel the sharp lip there. Not sure if I want to send back or try to polish the brass and finish the grips' fit.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2017, 03:13:34 PM »
Patina is one thing staining is another.   Brass on a new revolver should shine.   I prefer polished brass but don't mind a little of the brightness changing to the more dull glow that appears after a year or so.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2017, 03:28:39 PM »
Hi Daf57, I took another good look at the grip on my 1851 and the heel of the grip is indeed slightly proud. IMO that's an easy fix, much better than needing to add wood. One side of the grip has a nice figure. I don't see any visible brass casting pits. I also noticed that the Pietta grip shape is very good, the old Pietta 1851 backstrap tail is gone.

How are the steel parts fit, finish, and timing on your 1851?

I understand that Dixie is very good taking back guns with issues.

Regards,
Richard

Offline sourdough

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2017, 03:34:03 PM »
Got mine yesterday and noticed the same issue with the brass - some staining and a few small pits as well. Also there are some grip fit issues - a bit of excess wood on the heel of the backstrap. Could have used a bit more sanding there. You can definitely feel the sharp lip there. Not sure if I want to send back or try to polish the brass and finish the grips' fit.

I can put up with any "staining" of the brass. My main concern would be the pits on the brass. Those are gas holes that come from imperfect casting of the brass. I have seen that on earlier Piettas, but not so much on the 2014-2016 Piettas. Sometimes the "pits" can be polished out, but many times they are in deep corners of the trigger guard.

Pietta does not pay much attention to wood-to-frame fit and never has. IMO the wood has always been proud where it meets the frame. Anyone who cares about it can use some sandpaper and stain/finish to correct that.  Your call.

Jim

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2017, 05:22:28 PM »
Pietta does not pay much attention to wood-to-frame fit and never has.
Jim

Actually they have. This was my CCH/checkered model. Not a good angle but I no longer have it. You can tell how extremely fat the grips are tho.

This is my navy made in 76 with almost no proud wood at the top and the grips are very slender like the originals were.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Eric N.

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2017, 07:39:32 PM »
Here it is.
The easy we make difficult,the difficult we make imposable.  Some days its so true.