Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Bolt Spring  (Read 3213 times)

Offline oldfart

• View Profile
Bolt Spring
« on: January 14, 2017, 05:59:52 AM »
after reading Mikes Advice I'm wanting to do what he is saying,

before i do it I want to make sure I've got it in my head what he is saying,
please excuse my cruddy picture and drawing,

do i have it right?

thank you for your patience
John

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
Re: Bolt Spring
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2017, 06:46:33 AM »
Hey John,
  That is the combination spring. The long side can be very slightly tapered just to help keep it from touching the frame. That is the trigger return and you need all the tension you can get from it. The short side is the bolt spring and you can taper it quite a bit. The bolt only needs 3-4 lbs to do its job. Any more than that will cause unnecessary wear to the bolt arm, cam and cylinder. I recommend putting a thin washer under the spring to help with easing the tension over all, then respective tensions can be "dialed " in.

The trigger sear is what i was saying needs to be rounded (if that is what you were referring to).  The sear is the part that engages the notches on the hammer. Sometimes it will interfere with the left arm of the bolt. I recommend rounding the top corner that would be next to the arm when installed (the upper right corner  (as installed)). If you look at these parts as mounted, you can see that they rub against each other.

I'll try another setting for taking pics, mine have way to much info for most forums.

If you will p.m. me your number I'll call you.

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram  @ goonsgunworks

Offline oldfart

• View Profile
Re: Bolt Spring
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2017, 07:28:09 AM »
THANK YOU Mike,  that put the picture in my noggin,
now i get it, my lefty was a righty,
and DU on the "Sear " part  brain fart

ill send my number later on,

John

Hey John,
  That is the combination spring. The long side can be very slightly tapered just to help keep it from touching the frame. That is the trigger return and you need all the tension you can get from it. The short side is the bolt spring and you can taper it quite a bit. The bolt only needs 3-4 lbs to do its job. Any more than that will cause unnecessary wear to the bolt arm, cam and cylinder. I recommend putting a thin washer under the spring to help with easing the tension over all, then respective tensions can be "dialed " in.

The trigger sear is what i was saying needs to be rounded (if that is what you were referring to).  The sear is the part that engages the notches on the hammer. Sometimes it will interfere with the left arm of the bolt. I recommend rounding the top corner that would be next to the arm when installed (the upper right corner  (as installed)). If you look at these parts as mounted, you can see that they rub against each other.

I'll try another setting for taking pics, mine have way to much info for most forums.

If you will p.m. me your number I'll call you.

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram  @ goonsgunworks