Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Colts on the Big Screen!  (Read 6551 times)

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
Colts on the Big Screen!
« on: August 21, 2013, 09:00:21 PM »
One of my favorite portayals in recent history of the Colt firearm was Jeff Daniels in 'Gettysburg' atop Little Round Top, shooting his 1860 Army .44. Although it is likely not historically correct (there is still raging debate among scholars and historians as to whether officers actually carried extra cylinders during the Civil War) or technically correct (in the heat of battle, it was not likely that an officer would have the time, nor care, to have a cylinder topped off with what appears to be Crisco at 05:40 in Part 2) the scene of Daniels (Chamberlain) reloading and seating the barrel on a log over the freshly-loaded cylinder is soul-stirring to any BP enthusiast. I give very, very high marks to this flick despite the horrendous whiskers.
Can't say for certain what his brother is shooting, but it appears to be an 1851 Navy.
PART 1

PART 2

PART 3

PART 4 (different poster-lower quality. Why? I don't know.....)

« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 09:12:18 PM by Captainkirk »
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
Re: Colts on the Big Screen!
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2013, 12:14:20 PM »
Hi Captain, yes, that is my favorite civil war movie. This summer we went to Gettysburg and saw the Little Round Top location. It was very moving.

I must admit to being an 1858 snob, but am learning about the utility of the 1851/1860. With some practice, I can change out 1851/1860 cylinders almost as fast as the 1858 Remington.

There is little new under the sun. If we find cylinder change out a useful attribute to BP revolver use, I have little doubt that our grandfathers did the same. Logic always rules! The obvious is rarely recorded.

Regards,
Richard
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 12:16:00 PM by ssb73q »
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Saranac Sam

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2013, 01:40:57 PM »

I was browsing last night through "Sixguns" by Elmer Keith, 1961 edition; looking at chapter 8, Gun Rigs And Holsters.  He says:
 "Many Confederate cavalrymen carried as many sixguns as they could lay hands on, often as many as four so they could keep up a continuous fire when necessary.  They often carried extra loaded and capped cylinders in a pouch on the gunbelt as well as in their pockets for a quick change when one cylinder ran dry in combat." (boldface added by me)
  Interesting if true, but he gives no attribution for this.  Keith's book is considered a "bible" by some.  He certainly has a lot of colorful stories.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 08:15:12 PM by Captainkirk »
Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

Offline dc7x64

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 09:11:17 PM »
Dang! Did we loose that one too? My team never wins :D

Offline omarkw

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2014, 09:15:15 PM »
it seems like a search of colts records would tell if extra cylinders were sold with revolvers. or if many more cylinders were made and sold than guns. either case would tend to prove the extra cylinder theory. would some one please check that out???? L@J    mark
on these walks make your gun your constant companion.   TJ

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2014, 04:36:37 AM »
During the ACW, there was a fire at the Colts plant and most of the records were burned.  Not much available for research.
Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline omarkw

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2014, 11:42:15 AM »
How bout Remington or some of the other makers?        Mark

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2014, 12:26:24 PM »
The problem with the "cylinder swap theory", Mark, is this:
Back in the day, Colt and Remington cylinders were not cut on precise CNC machinery as today. Each gun was hand-assembled and fine-tuned at the factory. If you bought a spare cylinder, you would likely have to get it custom fit to your gun and tuned/timed for proper operation & lockup. Not a realistic proposition for the average cowpoke or infantryman. It would be way easier to just buy another gun or two.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline omarkw

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2014, 09:45:50 PM »
I understand that, capt, but if the research was done it would lend physical evidence, circumstantial as it would be, to either credit or discredit the theory, instead of speculation.    Now, was that sentence long enough?    Mark

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2014, 03:59:52 AM »
Early on, the Paterson was issued with extra cylinders and it made a difference when the Texas Rangers went against the Commanches.  That is the ONLY historical reference of which I am aware and it was brought to my attention on anohter forum.

While an interesting thought, during a shooting fracas, which is faster?  Swapping cylinders or drawing a second (or fourth) revolver?  I opt for the extra revolver.  Your option may be different but I believe we hear about the two gun cowboy for a reaon and not the guy with extra cylinders they buried on Boot Hill.
Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline omarkw

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2014, 06:17:59 PM »
I understand that guys, but the debate rages and that research would help prove or disprove it. And I know switching guns is faster but you can carry a lot more cyls than pistols.  As with many things, there are advantages both ways. I'm not arguing one way or the other as I don't KNOW. And speculating is not knowing.    Mark