Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Paper cart's  (Read 5318 times)

Offline bigted

• when all is said ... more will be said then done.
    • View Profile
Paper cart's
« on: May 03, 2017, 08:47:29 AM »
Well "rolled" 30 paper round ball cartridges last week and took em out and proceeded to burn em ALL in the one setting. No fouling ... No missfires ... All very accurate.

Zig zag rolling papers rolled diagonally on my tapered stick.

20 grains GOEX 3Fg powder.

Topped with a .375 ball into the belled paper cartridge then squeezed and twisted into a tail.

These dandys were shot with crisco over the chamber mouth (i call BS on the mess factor) and proceeded to load and shoot them as fast as i could load em and cap the nipples.

VERY FUN
BIGTED

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
Re: Paper cart's
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2017, 09:21:55 AM »
These dandys were shot with crisco over the chamber mouth (i call BS on the mess factor)

Wait until a hot summer day with 100+ shots before making a judgement on the mess factor.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline bigted

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 11:19:33 AM »
Well my experience for some years has me convinced that for target practice where ill shoot many cylinder fulls that the greese of some sort does the trick with lubing as well as making clean up a snap.

I have a good towel and wipe er down every cylinder full. As mentioned ... Cleanup is a snap and ive never had any rust issues doing it this way as well as having the cylinder turn just as free after a bunch of shooting as it did at the begining. I also greese the arbor with copious amount of synthetic greese which helps the turning thing greatly as well.

Real story for me tho is the cartridges. These work so well i can hardly believe it. They load very easy and the same cartridges load in my Colt 62 as well and function in that well also. Stay accurate throuout too.
BIGTED

Offline 99whip

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2017, 02:20:15 PM »
Bigted,

I like shooting paper cartridges too.  They are enjoyable and also a time saver, which is handy when range time is limited.  Did you have any paper residue left with the Zig zag rolling papers?  I sometimes have small amounts, but I use those beauty supply hair papers.

Paper cartridge or not, in the South FL heat I like 50/50 beeswax/olive oil over ball lube.  Very stiff, doesn't go anywhere.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2017, 03:16:42 PM »
Hi Whip, while 50/50 beeswax/olive oil is much better than Crisco as an overball lube, it still gets all over the gun and hand. After awhile it's like holding an eel that doesn't want to stop squirming. The 50/50 beeswax/olive mix also plates my steel targets where overpainting becomes difficult. I much prefer lubed wads between powder and ball. A good price for lubed wads is Sagebrush:
http://www.sageoutfitters.com/catalog/item/7230243/7463802.htm

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline 99whip

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2017, 03:39:37 PM »
I haven't really found the 50/50 b/oo to get everywhere, but I also use a filler to get the ball as close to the chamber mouth as possible, so the amount of over ball lube I need to use is a thin ring and much less than when the ball is seated deeper.  I feel like that's probably making the difference for me in terms of potential mess.     

Offline bigted

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2017, 05:37:46 AM »
Yes I get small bits of paper from time to time but they never cause trouble for me (yet).

As for over ball lube ... I have tried the wads and such and the hassles in loading don't turn my crank. The over ball lube is the stuff for me and like I mentioned above ... A wipe down after each cylinder is emptied keep my 'eel' from getting slickery. I never had the ease of cleanup using the lube wads either ... Maybe they were lubed with the wrong lube?

At any rate I find char in the cylinders when cleaning and is weird but as. Stated ... No problems thus far and I spose I have shot around 3 or400 of them with no issue's. Thought about trying to nitrate the cig papers but they are so thin.

Sho nough fun tho.
BIGTED

Offline bigted

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2017, 06:14:44 AM »
I guess next should be a pictorial on my system ... So simple i ALMOST hesitate to share for the sipmlicity of it all. I can roll and complete these cartridges much faster then reloading my empty blackpowder fouled cases for the 1873's. Almost as fast as charging and loading the smokeless cases for the 38 and 45's.

I will work on getting some pictures of the whole procedure.
BIGTED

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2017, 07:09:46 AM »
Looking forward to it!
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2017, 08:28:41 AM »
Hi bigted, I look forward to seeing your paper cartridge pictorial. For the life of me, I can't do more than glue paper to my fingers. Either my thumbs are too big, or I'm just a klutz. Probably both.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline bigted

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2017, 06:02:34 PM »
LOL I guess it helps to have been a cigarette roller and stuff back when.
BIGTED

Offline wicket

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2017, 10:37:20 AM »
  Since limiting the amount and weight of paper limits the amount of paper residue, most shooters seem to roll their cartridges from rather small pieces of paper, which are difficult to handle and may require the application of glue. I find that pinching one edge of the paper to the former with a single edge razor blade, applying a line of thinned Duco cement to the paper's edge, and then pressing the unglued edge down onto the glued edge works well.
  Though generally nervous about loading a cartridge into a chamber which may hold smoldering paper residue from a previous shot, I have come to believe that a shred of untreated tissue weight paper is unlikely to burn through the wrapper of a subsequent cartridge and detonate it. I've yet to come across any record of it happening.