Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Conicals  (Read 5639 times)

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
Conicals
« on: May 31, 2017, 04:12:52 AM »
Hi, a new video on the 1851 with conicals:

I like that tripod rest he uses. Got to find out who makes it.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Online mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
Re: Conicals
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2017, 04:57:04 AM »
I watched Duke's new video a couple days ago.   I'm not a fan of his work but this video is better than others I've seen.   I have the mold for the conical bullets he is using.   I have some cast up to try but I have trouble finding a place to shoot these days. 

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2017, 06:14:36 AM »
Hi Mike, I have to give credit to anyone willing to put themselves out there posting a BP video. They help advance the hobby. Of course some are better than others, but with practice they all seem to get better. No matter the apparent YouTube neophyte, I always learn something new. The videos also help me test my closely held beliefs as it relates to BP revolver shooting.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline 99whip

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2017, 07:50:20 AM »
Scooby,

I'd like to hear what you think of that mold once you get it and try it out.  I like that it's based on an original bullet and would lend itself really well to making paper cartridges.  I've been wanting to try some conicals in .36.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2017, 08:22:49 AM »
Hi Whip, these are some of the .375 Lee conicals that I cast last year:

The heel enters into the .36 cylinder chamber easily. However, I load them off the gun using the Tower of Power loading tool. Use a lubed felt wad under them with no lube in the grooves. They shoot very well.

Regards,
Richard

Offline Hewy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2017, 09:49:44 AM »
Richard, I just acquired a Conical Lee Mold. What powder load are you using ?
Hewy
Hewy
BETTER TO GETTIN than GETTIN GOT.

Offline 99whip

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2017, 10:34:13 AM »
Those look good Richard, like Hewy, curious as to load you use.  I usually load off the gun also, though with paper cartridges I generally don't do that. 

I shot some conicals once in an Uberti Navy, I think the load was 20 or maybe even 25?  Was shooting a friend's gun, but I remember loading them evenly was something you really had to pay attention too, especially once a little lube got around the chamber mouths.   

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2017, 12:18:09 PM »
Hi, I use 20gr by volume in my .36 1851s for both balls and conicals. The conicals need some powder compression compared to balls. Of course one could increase powder by eliminating the lubed wad and using overball lube. I must also point out that I use Black MZ that has greater compression than BP.

One could use lighter loadings and still get good projectile velocities. While the following reference is for Swiss in the .44, one could extrapolate:
http://1858remington.com/discuss/index.php?topic=6530.0

Regards,
Richard

Offline LonesomePigeon

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2017, 07:45:06 PM »
I liked the video, my only criticism is I don't think he stated the distance he was shooting from. Like those molds too.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2017, 03:58:18 AM »
Hi Lonesome, I asked the distance in the YouTube comments section. His reply was 14yds on targets.

Regards,
Richard

Offline LonesomePigeon

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2017, 07:13:26 PM »
Thanks Richard! That's good accuracy, I think I would like to get both the .36 and .44 molds.