Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Remington 1875 .45 Colt  (Read 8623 times)

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
Remington 1875 .45 Colt
« on: July 30, 2017, 03:10:06 PM »
This revolver came up for sale on the sister forum  1858remington.com.   I was familiar with the seller and the price was good so I figured "why not".   I'd never fired one before so I decided to give it a try.   Made by Uberti in 2015,  only a few rounds through it by the previous owner who bought it new.  The seller lives just 15 miles North of me so we met at a local sporting goods store to do the transfer paperwork.

I took it out for a spin yesterday,  I was pleasantly surprised to find the POI just a couple inches high of POA.   It does have a tall front blade sight though so it makes sense.   Compared to Colt replicas it seems a little front heavy.  Probably due to the way the frame extends rearward before the grip frame makes it's curve downward.  Overall it's fun to shoot and I only missed the gong twice out of 36 rounds at 25 yards.  Add the fact that it's a really nice looking revolver and I think I'll end up keeping it for awhile.

Offline bigted

• when all is said ... more will be said then done.
    • View Profile
Re: Remington 1875 .45 Colt
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2017, 06:22:28 PM »
Awsome revolver. My question come from having giant hands ...  do you feel more room for your second finger knuckle. My 58's snip my knuckle regularly and always wondered if the 75 is more roomy for the fingers.
BIGTED

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2017, 07:58:43 PM »
Transfer paperwork, why?
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2017, 08:23:24 PM »
Awsome revolver. My question come from having giant hands ...  do you feel more room for your second finger knuckle. My 58's snip my knuckle regularly and always wondered if the 75 is more roomy for the fingers.

Yes Ted,  there is more room on the 1875.  About 3/8 in or so.  Plenty to keep it from rapping your knuckle unless you have really big hands.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2017, 08:27:52 PM »
Transfer paperwork, why?

Hawg,  in Colorado all firearm sales require background checks,  even private party sales.   This includes gunshow sales too.   The so called gunshow loophole the gun control advocates talk about doesn't really exist,  not here anyway.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2017, 06:48:18 AM »
Hi Mike, that looks like a very nice revolver. I suspect that a new holster is being planned?

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2017, 07:06:02 AM »
Transfer paperwork, why?

Hawg,  in Colorado all firearm sales require background checks,  even private party sales.   This includes gunshow sales too.   The so called gunshow loophole the gun control advocates talk about doesn't really exist,  not here anyway.

OK, I didn't know that.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline sourdough

• 1851 Navy Parts Changer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2017, 12:25:36 PM »
Hawg, it is like that in WA State also, and has been for a couple of years now. The way the law reads here is that a "transfer" of a firearm from one person to another, even for a range session, requires a background check by the transferor of the transferee!

Go figure.

Most rural county Sheriff departments here ignore or don't enforce it, even in the Left Coast counties. Pugetropolis, where there is an average of 1-2 shootings per night, is another story.

Don't fret. We in WA State are all safe now with that law in place.  ^j)

Jim

We have met the enemy, and they is us. Pogo

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2017, 01:55:54 PM »
Glad y'all are so safe.  )lI

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2017, 03:27:27 PM »
Hi Mike, that looks like a very nice revolver. I suspect that a new holster is being planned?

Regards,
Richard

I haven't had a chance to even think about it yet Richard but yes,  there will be a complete rig made up for this one. 

Offline Hewy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2017, 05:14:06 PM »
California also has a transfer law for many years. Buy a gun from an individual or at a gun show or
FFL dealer , plus there is a 10 day waiting period ( so called cooling off time ) after purchase and DOJ backround check . Both buyer and seller must be present to do the transfer.
FFL then keeps YOUR gun just purchased, the buyers goes back to retrieve it, gets a little training by the clerk , how to load and unload and operate the guns safety devices. Minimum fee is $25 for the state, some stores charge more for their time.
Jan 2018 ammo purchases/transfers  will have a similar proceedure.
Hewy
BETTER TO GETTIN than GETTIN GOT.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2017, 08:59:48 PM »
Mike, is that sitting on a pic of Frank James in the background?
FJ was a lifelong fan of the '75 Remmy.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2017, 05:00:43 AM »
Yep,  Capt.   That's a Portrait of Frank.   The book is Guns of the American West by Dennis Adler.

Offline sourdough

• 1851 Navy Parts Changer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2017, 04:39:07 PM »
Mike, is that sitting on a pic of Frank James in the background?
FJ was a lifelong fan of the '75 Remmy.

So, if I may ask, what did Frank use during the ACW, especially in the guerilla years and afterward pre-1875?
We have met the enemy, and they is us. Pogo

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2017, 06:15:20 PM »
I've never heard any mention of the guns used by the James brothers while they rode with Quantrill.   My guess would be a Remington NMA since Frank was enamored with the Remington models later in life.   
The James/Younger gang were known to have used several types of cartridge revolvers including Colt SAA, Merwin Hulbert, and S&W.