Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Another Proud Misrepresentation On GB  (Read 3813 times)

Offline sourdough

• 1851 Navy Parts Changer
    • View Profile
Another Proud Misrepresentation On GB
« on: September 05, 2017, 01:12:17 PM »
Another gem from "Gem" Broker. CVA "1861" Colt Navy. I can understand that it might be a typo, but if someone posts this offering with 10 pics, I would think that the seller would have proofread it before posting it. Correctly advertised as a kit gun as it has no visible proof marks or date code. It appears to have a stamping between the hammer screw and the trigger screw, which I presume to be a CVA stamp but I cannot read it. If it had a smooth cylinder, it could be offered as a Schneider and Glassick.

$200 minimum bid for a used brasser with muzzle blue wear, which looks more like improper care as opposed to holster wear? I don't care if the previous owner was a Marine Corps vet. I am a USAF Viet Nam (1971-1974) vet, and that should have nothing to do with an ACW repro pistol sale. Sorry to vent.

There are a lot of new folks on GB and they don't have the expertise and knowledge of old-timers when it comes to BP pistols, and I think of myself as a mid-range old-timer guy. I just wish these newbs would go here first, but they probably don't know about us. 

I am retired and have decided to root out faux sellers, intentional or not, who falsely advertise their wares. I "ask the seller a question" and it is more of a chastisement of their offering than a question. Very seldom do I receive a reply, but I received one yesterday from a seller who hought I was out to bust his b**ls. One of these days I might get banned from GB if I receive many complaints, but I'll take it as it comes.

G Dog, Suzuki Bruce, and I seem to be of the same mind. If you other guys have a problem with my mindset, feel free to expound.

Jim

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/689634461
We have met the enemy, and they is us. Pogo

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
Re: Another Proud Misrepresentation On GB
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2017, 02:25:54 PM »
I used to do the same thing, Jim. Now I just don't have the time. Thanks to you for keeping it real (plus, it's a lot of fun...)
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline sltm1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2017, 03:35:35 PM »
I also call BS when I see it on any site. I just don't buy off GB anymore, just sell occasionally.

Offline Fingers McGee

• Branson State Match, 2009
    • View Profile
    • Central Ozarks Western Shooters
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2017, 11:26:17 AM »
IIRC CVA incorrectly called this pistol an "1861 Navy".  Seems the seller is just perpetuating that mis-identification.

I usually 'ask seller a question' pointing out their errors in listings.  Some are grateful for the information, some never reply, and some get absolutely incensed that I had the gall to question their expertise. There are a couple sellers I won't have anything to do with because of their poor attitudes, no matter if they have something I want or not.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 08:42:45 PM by Fingers McGee »
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts; SASS 28564-L-TG, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline sourdough

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2017, 02:36:49 PM »
Fingers, I agree very much.

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2017, 01:50:24 PM »
I just nicely "ask seller a question", only it isn't a question, tell them what I know. Like Fingers, I get varied reactions. It doesn't hurt to let them know "we" are watching. L@.

Offline sourdough

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2017, 04:00:29 PM »
Got another one. Please point out the problems with this.  :(  Also let us know if the min bid price is a deal or not.

One must read the seller's description of the pistol:  "GUN IS USED. BLUING HAS TURNED INTO PATINA COLORING. FRONT SIGHT. ENGRAVED CYLINDER. WOODEN PISTOL GRIPS. BRASS TRIGGER GUARD/BACK STRAP. GUN HAS HANDLING MARKS."

This gun shop reminds of a few very proud shops I have visited in person who think that they know more than the customer.

I was put off by the barrel: no S/N, short forcing cone, and (obvious) modified barrel lug where it meets the frame, and wrong profile blade front sight (Swayze)(see seller's pics 13,14, & 21). Missing the wedge spring. I think the barrel and many of the screws are not original. And the guy wants a mere pittance for it.  ;)

I asked the seller about this today. We'll see about a reply.

I have the listing saved and will watch it.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/696416936

The GB Nazi,

Jim

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2017, 05:35:01 PM »
Umm..lessee here;
*Grips profiles are very thin and fit poorly
*Large gap between BS and TG
*Appears to be an additional piece of metal between wedge and barrel (could be a nail)
*Rifling looks non-existent at the muzzle
Plus everything else you mentioned.  Price? I don't THINK so...
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2017, 05:57:09 PM »
The grips have been sanded. You see a lot of originals with a bowed trigger guard. The lever screw has been replaced with a modern screw and hack sawed off. I wouldn't go over 500 for it.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.