Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: What would you like?  (Read 8683 times)

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
What would you like?
« on: November 08, 2017, 10:08:44 AM »
Hi, what replica BP revolver would like to see offered for sale? I would like to see the Whitney Navy replica again offered for sale?

What is your choice?

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
Re: What would you like?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2017, 10:18:40 AM »
Rogers & Spencer
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2017, 10:57:53 AM »
Whitney’s for sure.  Also, Leech & Rigdon.  Pietta, between the 51 Navy and the Griswold & Gunnison, already has all the right parts. 

Does Uberti currently offer an L & R?  I like an L & R.
"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2017, 02:19:07 PM »
I'd like to see a Savage Navy revolver available as a reproduction although it would most likely be expensive as far as replicas go.    Aside from that it would be nice to see the Root side hammer in production again.

Offline LonesomePigeon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2017, 07:27:00 PM »
I like the ones they're already making but I want better versions. Version one would be the same as they are now but with real bone-charcoal color case hardening, at say $125 - 150 extra. Version two would be the ultimate with match grade barrel, all holes properly located, mating surfaces squared and/or properly fitted, stronger internals, polished internals, properly timed action. Bone charcoal and high quality hot salt bluing would be standard with this model. I think these would have to cost close to $2,000 - 2,500. For an additional charge they could be offered with gas oven bluing like the original Colt's. The would probably cost around $2,500 - 3,000.

Offline jaxenro

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2017, 11:47:45 PM »
How about an English revolver like the Adams or Trantner
Check out my website www.percussionrevolvers.com

Offline Ringo

• A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.
    • View Profile
    • répliques Old West
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2017, 11:50:35 PM »
Leech & Rigdon, and Dance & Brothers in .36 caliber.

Offline jaxenro

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2017, 01:34:38 AM »
Uberti makes the L&R in 36 if you milked the recoil shield off it would work as a Dance Bros I think
Check out my website www.percussionrevolvers.com

Offline Ringo

• A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.
    • View Profile
    • répliques Old West
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2017, 01:45:37 AM »
I did turn a 1851 into a Dance & Brothers by milling the recoil shield off and sanding the naval battle off the cylinder. Still I know that I did it, and that it was not a proper Dance from the start.  :(

Offline wicket

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2017, 08:24:14 AM »
The Whitney certainly, and also the Kerr.

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2017, 12:15:19 PM »
I had to look up Kerr to refresh the ol recollection.  Man, another cool gun; no end to it.

"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline Bishop Creek

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2017, 01:00:29 PM »
I like the ones they're already making but I want better versions. Version one would be the same as they are now but with real bone-charcoal color case hardening, at say $125 - 150 extra. Version two would be the ultimate with match grade barrel, all holes properly located, mating surfaces squared and/or properly fitted, stronger internals, polished internals, properly timed action. Bone charcoal and high quality hot salt bluing would be standard with this model. I think these would have to cost close to $2,000 - 2,500. For an additional charge they could be offered with gas oven bluing like the original Colt's. The would probably cost around $2,500 - 3,000.

Here is something close to that for $1,250: http://www.longhunt.com/web/index.php?page=1851-Navy-Colt-Long-Hunter-Premier-Reproduction-Custom-Black-Powder-Percussion-Revolver
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 01:02:21 PM by Bishop Creek »
My biggest concern is that when I pass away, my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them.

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2017, 01:44:45 PM »

Here is something close to that for $1,250: http://www.longhunt.com/web/index.php?page=1851-Navy-Colt-Long-Hunter-Premier-Reproduction-Custom-Black-Powder-Percussion-Revolver

For that kind of money they should have stayed true to the original design.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline LonesomePigeon

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2017, 06:45:57 PM »
Bishop, yes that's close to what I'm talking about. The only thing I don't like about those is that they are special order so you can't really examine one before you commit. A better example would be the later American made USFA Pre-War and Inspector Series Single Action Army replicas. They are truly works of art. I have heard them compared to Freedom Arms in quality. If there was a cap n' ball like that it would be amazing.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2017, 07:02:59 PM »
Hard choice for me. But of course, you men already knew it would be something weird. So with that, I wish for an Alsop Navy revolver. If not that, I could go for a Joslyn,  a Wesson's & Leavitt's Patent Army, a Pettingill's Patent Army, or a Walch 12 shot Navy. Those ones would be pricy, so for simplicity sakes, I would be happy with with either a CSA copy of a Shawk & McLanahan, a Cofer, or a Dimick.

I am lucky enough to own a couple of Roots and a Whitney, but I could go for Uberti making a better quality version of those two shooters as well.

Man, you're going deep into left field, Scooby!
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"