Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Curious About Italian Replica 1851 Navy Stamping  (Read 3465 times)

Offline sourdough

• 1851 Navy Parts Changer
    • View Profile
Curious About Italian Replica 1851 Navy Stamping
« on: November 19, 2017, 04:13:55 PM »
Found this on GB. It is an Italian 1851 Navy .36 brasser with both proof marks on the frame/barrel lug and date code XXVI (1970). Seller says it was "Manufactured by 'FAGS' ". It appears to me to be an ASM or an ASP, S/N 1035 on the frame and barrel lug. As such, the gun does not appear to be from a kit, but the wood is oversized and has a configuration near the trigger guard strap that is unusual to me. The cylinder appears to be plain with no roll-marking, and the front sight has squared right and left sides. It is basically a neglected Schneider and Glassick although it most probably was not marketed as such nearly 50 years ago.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/715531297

On the underside of the barrel hidden by the load-lever, it appears to have a small milled area (in the white as opposed to blue) with FAGS in a rectangular cartouche, but FAGS seems to be highlighted darker than the surrounding cut. Considering the brass patina/pits and the rust on the cylinder and barrel (it appears to me to have been shot and disassembled very little, per the screw slots, and stored in a damp location), that milled area appears to be a much newer addition, but does not appear to be stamped by hand with individual letter stamps. I would like to see how dark the bore is.

Picture #14 on the seller's listing shows it.

In my literature I can find no mention of this. I am supposing it is an importer's mark, but not comfortable with that supposition.

Once again, I am disappointed with folks on GB who have little/no clue as to what they are selling. I am going to check on how much it sells for.

Anyone have an idea about this pistol?

Jim

We have met the enemy, and they is us. Pogo

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Curious About Italian Replica 1851 Navy Stamping
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2017, 04:37:31 PM »
Probably Fabrica Armi Gradoga. Gradoga was one of the founders of ASP.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline sourdough

• 1851 Navy Parts Changer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2017, 04:46:02 PM »

Very good info, sir. I still puzzle about the white steel where the stamping occurs, considering the condition of the rest of the pistol.

Thanks, Hawg!

Jim
We have met the enemy, and they is us. Pogo

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2017, 04:51:50 PM »

Very good info, sir. I still puzzle about the white steel where the stamping occurs, considering the condition of the rest of the pistol.

Thanks, Hawg!

Jim

I have no idea. The only FAG stamps I've seen were on the butt. LOL that was an unintended funny.  *6'
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline 99whip

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2017, 05:34:41 PM »
That's pretty dang funny Hawg.