Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Thuer 1860 Civilian  (Read 3844 times)

Offline Hewy

• View Profile
Thuer 1860 Civilian
« on: November 27, 2017, 05:07:51 PM »
Yep a fantasy for sure L@.
Photos and write up to follow,
The Thuer was 1st installed in an 1851 44 Navy (as Pietta called it)  I am not happy with the short barrel typical left/high POI.
I then istalled it in an 1860 Army. After some minor tuning to get it operating correctly, I wanted to switch parts and take advantage of
the longer Army 8" barrel. I also like the Navy grip shape fits me well. Both being 2017 Piettas, parts fit perfectly.
Also I like the three screw frame.
Here is 1860 Colt 45 Civilian
[/url]
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 08:22:28 PM by Hewy »
Hewy
BETTER TO GETTIN than GETTIN GOT.

Offline 99whip

• View Profile
Re: Thuer 1860 Civilian
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2017, 07:15:29 AM »
Looks great Hewy, at some point I'm going to need to dabble over there in conversion world.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2017, 08:10:07 AM »
Looks familiar... sort of,  kinda.     I'm happy with my "Improved Thuer" conversion as Gary calls it.    I like the 1860 grip frame better than the 1851 though. 

Nice revolver there Hewy,  now you need to make a holster for it.    Be sure to allow room for the safety selector that protrudes from the top of the conversion plate.   

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2017, 08:46:15 AM »
Hi Mike, Hewy never needs a holster, he sells his revolvers before the holster need occurs.  (7+" (7+" (7+"

I must admit the revolver looks nice and I'll keep an eye on the BUY and Sell section of the message board.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline valforgettaboutit

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2017, 08:58:03 AM »
Very nice Hewy! Have you shot it much/how well does the Thuer work?

Offline Hewy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2017, 09:53:43 AM »

Mike ,what is the "improved Thuer"? Improved over the original ? The reason I say that ,Gary has a video out mentioning working
on a port in ring to load and eject on the gun.
The Thuer shot well in the 1851 short barrel,after a little tuning, however I like it better in the 1860 as does Mike.
This is the third conversion.  Keeping two, the Thuer, and a Kirst gated for 1858 Remington also in 45 Colt .Actually the Thuer is a
modified Kirst cylinder with the special built ring designed to replicate an original Thuer.
I did have a Howell 6 shot, but sold it only because I prefer to load the Remington on the gun.
On Colts, I can live with pulling the barrel to load and eject.
Whip, I figured by getting a conversion I will now have two guns in one.
Hewy

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2017, 11:04:56 AM »

Mike ,what is the "improved Thuer"?

Gary calls this one his "Improved Thuer" because it uses standard 45 Colt ammunition and loads from the rear, instead of using special cartridges that load from the front like original Thuer cartridges.    I talked Gary about his idea of porting the frame for the Thuer.   He has a special ram rod set up that is removable and you use it to eject the cartridges.    I would like to see one before I decide whether it's a good idea or not.   A ported frame will detract from the look of the Thuer conversion but would make loading easier.

Offline Hewy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2017, 03:48:44 PM »
Mike ,I agree the look of a gated or ported frame for a Thuer would be affected. In fact I prefer a "drop in" to a gated on any Colt.
Were as the gate is OK for a Remington. Something to do with the originally of an open top that should remain that way.
Hewy