Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: "A revolver is an admirable tool" said Sir Burton  (Read 2340 times)

Offline LonesomePigeon

• View Profile
"A revolver is an admirable tool" said Sir Burton
« on: December 09, 2017, 10:03:15 AM »
This excerpt is from a book I have called "The Best of the West" edited by Tony Hillerman. It is a collection of shorts works by various authors. This particular one is by Sir Richard Burton, a famous travel writer of the time, telling about when he rode the stagecoach from St. Joseph, Missouri, to San Francisco in 1860.

For weapons I carried two revolvers: from the moment of leaving St Jo. to the time of reaching Placerville or Sacramento the pistol should never be absent from a man's right side - remember it is handier there than on the other - nor the bowie knife from his left. Contingencies with Indians and others may happen, when the difference of a second saves life: the revolver should therefore be carried with it's butt to the fore, and when drawn it should not be leveled as in target practice, but directed towards the object, by means of the right forefinger laid flat along the cylinder whilst the medius draws the trigger. The instinctive consent between eye and hand, combined with a little practice, will soon enable the beginner to shoot correctly from the hip; all he has to do, is to think that he is pointing at the mark, and pull. As a precaution, especially when mounted upon a kicking horse, it is wise to place the cock upon a capless nipple, rather than to trust the intermediate pins. In dangerous places the revolver should be discharged and reloaded every morning, both for the purpose of keeping the hand in, and to do the weapon justice. A revolver is an admirable tool when properly used; those, however, who are too idle or careless to attend to it, had better carry a pair of "Derringers." For the benefit of buffalo and antelope, I had invested $25 at St. Louis, in a "shooting iron" of the "Hawkins" style, that enterprising individual now dwells in Denver City, - it was a long top-heavy rifle, it weighed 12lbs., and it carried the smallest ball - 75 to the pound.

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
Re: "A revolver is an admirable tool" said Sir Burton
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2017, 01:29:37 PM »
It’s always good to come across a reference to Burton.  One would need to look high and wide to find a life more interesting than his.  I was in Placerville (Hangtown) just last month; used to live just north of there up Hyw 49  in the Auburn area.

This was posted earlier in “personal names for pistols”:

Burton was a devotee of Colt Revolvers and carried a selection of them on his mid-eastern journeys including the trip to Somalia and Ethiopia in 1855.

“My revolvers excited abundant attention, though none would be persuaded to touch them. The largest, which fitted with a stock became an excellent carbine, was at once named Abu Sittah (the Father of Six) and the Shaytan or Devil: the pocket pistol became the Malunah or Accursed, and the distance to which it carried ball made every man wonder.”

Burton, Sir Richard Francis First Footsteps in East Africa

Burton was a scholar and adventurer and also did an authoritative translation of the Kama Sutra that scandalized Victorian England.

His Book of the Sword is well worth a consult.  Time spent learning about him is never wasted.  I don't think England makes this type of guy anymore - but America does.

Dover edition:

« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 01:51:27 PM by G Dog »
"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle