Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Old discusion again  (Read 5643 times)

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Old discusion again
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2018, 05:33:17 PM »
It was Pyrodex I was using when I went nine days without cleaning. I've gone three days without cleaning using Swiss.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline bigted

• when all is said ... more will be said then done.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2018, 06:03:53 PM »
Watched a you tube today of a feller that uses no lube at all. I do not know if this works but then again i have fired over 50 of my 36 paper cart's with no lube and was pleasantly surprised that with just pure ballistoll on the arbor, it ran through all those loads and kept on runnin. Load was ... zig zag papers, 20 grains 2F Old E powder, lee .375 inch round balls, CCI # 11 magnum caps.

Sounds like the experimenting is only beginning. Have a .380 lee mold on the way also. Might see another set of circumstances with them.

FUN FUN FUN. 😁
BIGTED

Offline Fingers McGee

• Branson State Match, 2009
    • View Profile
    • Central Ozarks Western Shooters
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2018, 08:48:04 PM »
So all you wad users, question or two.

How long will your 51/61 run with your lubed wads? How bout longevity of accuracy?

Reason i ask these questions is that thick or thin , hot or cold, i run over ball lube and when doing so my barrel remains lubed and acccuracy remains as long as i desire to shoot. My cleanup is a snap and usually takes only two or three wet scrub patch's and three maybe dry and a heavily lubed patch.

I guess i wanna hear that your lubed wads do all and more then my over ball lube.

I rest upon the historic way [ as far as i can ascertain ] i do my c&b revolvers but i still have a lot to learn. Having said this, i wonder how much "RANGE TIME" the Old Dead Guys did. I would really like to find accounts written in the day describing the methods and supplies used for such "practice" times.

As far as i can find, the folks that carried them back in the day, did so DRY. Doing so, i readily see that the every day carry was not in preparation of finding themselves suddenly in a prolonged fight where the revolver might be used for an hours long gunfight where reloading was a thing to be prepared for.

Also wonder what accuracy they held out for and if our 1.5 to 3 inch 20 yard accuracy was/is comparatively similar to their expectations.

I've shot a pair of 2nd Gen '61 Navies in a CAS match over four days that called for 22 stages (12 Main Match, 5 practice stages and a 5 stage Plainsman match).  22 stages of five rounds in each pistol for 110 rds per.  Only maintenance was to relube the arbor and wipe the pistol down before each days shooting.  There was no discernible reduction in accuracy or ease of use.  This was a few years ago and I haven't seen the need to test the practice since.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts; SASS 28564-L-TG, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline bigted

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2018, 03:18:23 AM »
Fingers, thanks for that. Twas what i were lookin for.

I go in spurtz in what i play with. I like all aspects of the shooting arena's and when i get back to the true enjoyment that these revolvers bring, i am amazed all over again with the simple mind mending fun they provide.

Seems as tho every time i return to the original revolvers and their aftermarket twins, i feel less inclined to go back to the metal cartridge affairs.  (jh

When a feller uses these in the manner they were intended and drops into the mindset of the period, a peace comes that is not attainable any other place in the universe.

Just wish more literature were available from those that used them in their hay day. This is sure a fun journey tho and like you, i can hardly wait for the next outting with them. The loading, shooting, cleaning and casting more projectiles for a fairly cheap investment as well as cheap shooting fun is nirvana for this old road weary pilgrim.

Thanks for being pards on this journey.
BIGTED

Offline Fingers McGee

• Branson State Match, 2009
    • View Profile
    • Central Ozarks Western Shooters
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2018, 08:41:48 AM »
Oh, Yeah, I forgot..... I've been known to leave my pistols for up to a week after use before I clean them.  I usually spray them down with Balistol as soon as I return home after a match; but, some times it's late and I forget. Leaving them that long hasn't caused them into hunks of rust yet.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts; SASS 28564-L-TG, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline bigted

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2018, 07:55:52 PM »
Rolled 40 paper cartridges with round balls like this;

Carved a tapered stick into a mold to wrap my TOP papers around.
Wrapped the tubes around the stick mold and left 1/2 inch over hang to be licked so as to stick to the side of the lower end of the small end.
Taking these tubes i scoop 20 grains of Old E 2 Fg powder in each.
Then with tweezers i install a .375 inch lead ball in over the powder.
After each tube is powdered and balled i then twist the left over paper tightly into a skinny tail over the ball.
Next i melt my bee wax, vasoline and olive oil to a melted liquid in the microwave.
Now i grasp each cartridge by the tapered powder end and dunk the ball and around 1/4 inch of the paper just below the ball in the wax/lube and give it a small shake to fling off the excess lube from the twisted tail.
After the lube solidifies again i clip off the tail right on the top of the ball.

This leaves a nice tapered flat bottomed cartridge loaded with 20 grains real black powder and a ball which is then dunked into lube for a complete package.

Other then Green Synthetic grease on the arbor and wiping the cylinder face after 2 or 3 cylinder fulls ... these all 40, plus a few other cartridges i had on hand, all shot well with no trouble ... and ... the accuracy at 10 yards continued to stay inside just under 2 inch's through the whole experiment.

Anxious to see how mucked up the revolver was ... i disassembled the navy 7.5 inch barreled revolver and the barrel slipped rite off with little to no trouble. The cylinder also came off the arbor with no trouble. Next i sprayed down everything with Ballistol/water mix to soak for ten minutes or so.

Picking up the barrel , i ran a wet tight patch thru the barrel from the breech end and examined the patch for leading which would indicate not enough lube on the balls. Found just a slight bit about like running good lube over the loose powder and balls .. no change.

Cylinder had rings in the cylinder chambers but never had a fail to fire with the cig paper cartridges.

Next i gotta try the nitrated  paper to see if i can get less paper left over when done shooting.

Very successful so far and just wanted to share the info of what i have discovered. Next i am going to shoot em in the "61" Uberti and see how they do in it.

Appreciate all the feedback and everybody's systems. I continue with my paper cartridges and now the lube factor on them that seems a success with the exception of the rings left over currently. I do believe that the previous rings get jettisoned with the next cartridge explosion but time will tell.

Pretty exciting and so easy to load. No mess ... no fuss and my fingers smell great after loading these lubed paper cartidges. May try dunking the whole thing to make em water proof just for a s&g.
BIGTED