Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Ruger New Vaquero  (Read 10955 times)

Offline Saranac Sam

• View Profile
Ruger New Vaquero
« on: October 06, 2013, 10:06:08 PM »
   This was my third venture into cowboy guns, about 5 years ago (earlier being 3rd Dragoon and 51 Navy).  A Ruger New Vaquero .357, straight out of the box (artifacts not included):

then stag Elk grips with silver star inlays:

and gun leather, a double-loop Mexican holster by David LaFlair, Cochise Leather Co, Cochise AZ, and 1940's cartridge belt by George Lawrence Co., Portland OR:

My review of the New Vaquero:  I've always liked the Ruger single action frame design just a little bit more than the Colt, can't explain it, so this is not a pistol for the Colt purist. 

In my opinion, the New Vaquero is a "race" gun for Cowboy Action Shooting (didn't know that when I bought it).  The hammer draw is very fast and smooth, that low "Long Horn" hammer spur is designed for a two-hand hold with the left thumb pulling down the hammer for fast action.  It also works well for single hand "duellist" shooting.  And when the hammer drops, the sight picture is still there.

Rugers are built like a tank, so this is probably heavier than a true 1873 repro.  It has that transverse bar firing pin arrangement, so all six chambers can be loaded safely. 

I chose .357 because none of the local dealers had .45LC ammo in stock and couldn't say when they would have, although they had plenty of pistols to sell in that caliber.  .38/.357 is always on stock around here and offers plenty of options for economy shooting.  Just to stir things up, I have read the .357 will beat the .45 for speed, power, impact, brain splattering, etc.

Knowing what I know now, being a traditionalist and history buff, I would have gone for a more authentic Colt repro as far as design.  But this New Vaquero is fast and strong and reliable, IMHO.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 08:49:39 AM by Saranac Sam »
Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• View Profile
Re: Ruger New Vaquero
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2013, 07:47:18 AM »
I like it!  ;) ;)

Offline bigted

• when all is said ... more will be said then done.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 12:27:01 AM »
id like to revive this thread. I own a new model vaquero and it be 45 colt. 4 5/8ths barrel. I added some pack Myer grips to mine and fiddled the sights to shoot to poa. I really like my Vaquero and hope that others have one and we can compare notes on them.

I find the internals to be just as good an improvement on the original colt design as I could possibly think of. a little more to keep track of when disassembly and reassembly in the coil spring dept. however the smooth action and reliable hand and trigger/bolt springs are a fabulous improvement and the rest is the same ol same ol.

I do not see that my revolver is any heavier nor liter then its daddy the colt model P. my revolver is a very good revolver and comfortable to boot ... and ... it is a bit stronger then the original article.

what say yee ... agree or disagree.
BIGTED

Offline brazosdave

• Redneck Mower Jockey
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 04:03:20 AM »
not owning one, I can't really say if I'd like it as far as shooting, but the differences in it from the originals have always steered me away.  I had originally thought that i would enjoy cowboy action shooting, but the way it's done, it seems to me more like guys with those modern tuner cars in gun form, lol!  And from what i've heard, to really be any good, it helps to be somewhat well to do.
"I don't gotta kill a man, I just gotta make him sit down"

Offline bigted

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014, 12:25:18 PM »
as with most competitions ... it pays to be kinda "well off" which is the real reasons ... well one at least ... that I have not gone out for any such contest. my joy comes from the rocks and swing gong I shoot at here in the yard and the occasional trip to the rock pit for some further targets of opportunity. when I go out ... the grouse population is not in danger much but I do my part to make em feel wanted ... LOL

my joy comes from hitting my target exactly where I desire the ball to go. which brings me back to the Vaquero ... I can now hit the bull at will with it. just had to force my way on it is all. I like it fine and enjoy shooting it a lot but ... it don't take the place of the Colts and Colt aftermarket revolvers. I fully intend on getting another closer to original "73" article as well as planning on an open top in my future.

speaking of the original article ... when as a youth ... I had opportunity to obtain Colt '73's by the bucket load and the caliber 357 mag was abundant in the new Colt line up. I would love to find one of those as I stupidly passed on getting one then ... little did I know huh?

have you seen any real Colts in 357 mag around or are they all snatched up for all time?  ???
BIGTED

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2014, 08:14:39 AM »
I'm glad to see the thread revived; I don't have any New Vaqueros, but do have two "old models". They are built on the Blackhawk frame so are even less authentic, but excellent shooters. I too, was going to go into the CAS mode a few years ago, but my wife talked me out of it....very nicely. She was right, we don't have room for yet more " correct clothing", nor the time to actively enjoy the sport. Ammo availability is not a problem as I reload for both modern and conversion cylinder repros.

Offline Tom-ADC

• Old Salt
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2014, 08:29:40 AM »
I'm a Blackhawk fan, mine are 45 Colt I like the pages in the loading manual that says Ruger and T/C only (not for Vaquro's) The Vaquero on a Blackhawk frame would be cool.

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2014, 09:22:46 AM »
Sam, where did you get your elk grips?  Dc7X64 is looking for a set for his Walker.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2014, 07:59:23 PM »
I like it!
I chose the more readily available Super Blackhawk in (what else?) .44 Remington Magnum for my single-six. Hell of a thumper, that one. At the time I was looking for a good woodsy-companion as at the time I was spending a couple weekends in the spring & summer in black bear country. Had the Vaquero been available at that time it probably would've captured my heart.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline bigted

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2014, 08:08:03 PM »
I wonder if the super Blackhawk grip frame would fit the new vaquero frame? look kinda neat with its squareback trigger guard and be a bit bigger grip for us with the big paws.
BIGTED

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2014, 08:46:06 PM »
I just checked and was shocked to see I had no photos of my SBH in either Photobucket OR Flickr....so I did my gentlemanly duty and shot a few pics for you boys. Put them in a separate thread so as not to hijack this thread, but here's the link.....

http://blackpowdersmoke.com/colt/index.php?topic=562.0
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2014, 09:18:00 AM »
I wonder if the super Blackhawk grip frame would fit the new vaquero frame? look kinda neat with its squareback trigger guard and be a bit bigger grip for us with the big paws.
Ted, just guessing here, but I would say no as to the SBH grip frame fitting the New Vaquero. The new Vaquero is a smaller frame than the SBH.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 08:21:11 AM by mazo kid »

Offline Tom-ADC

• Old Salt
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2014, 09:37:07 AM »
My 5 1/2 inch Blackhawk 45 LC.

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2014, 08:23:46 AM »
Ted, do you have any friends that have the SBH? That way you could determine just how much work, if  any might be involved in fit the grip frame.

Offline Saranac Sam

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2014, 06:30:27 AM »
Sam, where did you get your elk grips?  Dc7X64 is looking for a set for his Walker.

A friend on GunBoards Forum gave them to me.  He got a bunch of elk grips on a trade.  As you mentioned (and he mentioned) these won't fit anything but an NV.  They all might look alike, but 73-style grips can be different from frame to frame.
Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.