Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Bisley, Colt, Uberti, and Ruger  (Read 3193 times)

Offline Electric Miner

• View Profile
Bisley, Colt, Uberti, and Ruger
« on: February 08, 2019, 06:55:29 PM »
I got to handle an Original Colt Bisley Single Action Army today. Also, an Uberti copy of the Bisley model, and a Ruger Bisley Blackhawk, all side by side. The Uberti is almost identical to the Colt. The Ruger is larger, and the grips are different. I discovered that I cannot use the original Bisley grip shape. They are too small, and the grip angle is very uncomfortable for me. The Ruger Bisley grip, however, is the cat's pajamas. I understand that not everyone likes it, but I love it. It fits my hand perfectly, and has the extra length I need to keep my little finger from slipping off the bottom. I might have considered buying the actual Colt, anyway. It was a tad out of my price range.

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Bisley, Colt, Uberti, and Ruger
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2019, 08:48:22 PM »
Have you tried curling your pinky under the grip?
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2019, 08:59:34 PM »
I'm just the opposite.  I like the Colt/Uberti grip with more curve.   The Ruger Bisley is more like an axe handle for me.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2019, 01:53:22 AM »
I don't like the way the Bisley pushes straight back into your hand. I never have liked the way the action works on a Ruger but when I needed a second big bore single action I came across this one and bought it. It didn't take me long to get rid of it. I traded it even for a Uberti Cattleman in 44-40 to go with my Cimarron.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Calibre58

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2019, 03:23:31 AM »
Gentlemen:  Don't you think hand size has a lot to do with grip feel??    ......Jim

Offline Electric Miner

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2019, 05:42:02 AM »
I think I mentioned that above.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2019, 07:01:36 AM »
Gentlemen:  Don't you think hand size has a lot to do with grip feel??    ......Jim

Most people with big hands curl their pinky under the grip. A 51/61 navy has the same grip as an 1873 Colt.

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2019, 08:03:45 PM »
All respect to the guys that like them but I’m feelin contrary and don’t care for a Bisley.  The grip to frame ratios are off and look disproportionate and unaesthetic.  They don’t draw or balance right for me either.  I just don’t like em.
"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline Calibre58

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2019, 03:49:51 AM »
Here is my Ruger Bisley in .22 cal.................................Jim

Offline Electric Miner

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2019, 07:48:16 AM »
All respect to the guys that like them but I’m feelin contrary and don’t care for a Bisley.  The grip to frame ratios are off and look disproportionate and unaesthetic.  They don’t draw or balance right for me either.  I just don’t like em.

And that's perfectly fine. It means you and me won't be competing for the Ruger Bisleys.