Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Extra cylinders on sale  (Read 4222 times)

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
Extra cylinders on sale
« on: February 19, 2019, 09:44:29 AM »
Hi, Cabelas has the .36 Pietta 1851 cylinder on sale:

https://www.cabelas.com/product/Pietta-Navy-Caliber-Revolver-Spare-Cylinder/705083.uts?slotId=2

I now have a dozen extra 1851 cylinders, but bought two more. One can never have too many extra cylinders.

Paper cartridges seem nice, but there is nothing better than going to the range with a number of extra cylinders already loaded minus caps.

I have many extra cylinders for my 1851, 1860, and 1858s, but would love to have extra Paterson and LeMat cylinders, however they cost too much. I put anti-seize on the nipples of my extra cylinders and use Johnnie's method of boiling the exhausted cylinders to clean them. After boiling I put them in an oven at 250F for 1/2 hour to remove any remaining water. They come out squeaky clean.

Do you use extra preloaded cylinders for your BP revolvers?

Regards,
Richard
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 09:52:20 AM by ssb73q »
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
Re: Extra cylinders on sale
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2019, 09:50:42 AM »
Nope.
I have a couple spares for my Remmies that I got with some used gun purchases, but never use them at the range.
While I admit they would be handy, loading (slow) is part of the attraction of BP shooting for me.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2019, 10:00:38 AM »
I don't have a single spare cylinder. The only one I did have, I let go with the last gun I traded. I just don't like knocking the gun apart every time to reload. I like the slower pace of loading loose powder and ball, or a paper cartridge. Working the loading lever is part of the fun for me.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Len

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2019, 10:05:00 AM »
I have and use one extra original cylinder for my original 58 Remington. They are hard to come by, but Classanr over on the Remi forum got hold of one for me. I'm still on the look out for another. Have this gorgeous rig that I got from Mike, with a two pocket cylinder pouch, so filling the second pocket would be nice.

Offline Rebel Dave

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2019, 10:44:33 AM »
 I would like to find a Uberti 51 Navy cylinder with no Naval scene rolled on it, no luck so far. I would put it on my Leeech and Rigdon.
Anyone know if Pietta cylinders will fit a Uberti,???.

Rebel Dave 
Rebel Dave

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2019, 09:34:12 PM »
Unengraved .36 Colt cylinders are like hen’s teeth.  Fastest way to get one is to buy a Pietta Griswold, if you can find one.

Swapping cylinders on a Colt is not worth the effort.  Never did see the draw on that. Such procedure may be / is different with a Remington, sometimes.
"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2019, 03:58:07 AM »

Rebel Dave

Hi Dave, Pietta and Uberti .36 1851 cylinders have the similar dimensions. However, the Pietta is ~0.030" longer than the Uberti. The main difference between both Pietta and Uberti 1851 cylinders that prevents interchange is the location of the cylinder bolt slots. Therefore Pietta and Uberti 1851 .36 cylinders can't be interchanged.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline LonesomePigeon

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2019, 08:54:47 AM »
Dixie sells a brass frame .36 caliber Pietta 1851 Navy with a non-engraved cylinder. It's on sale now for $185.
https://www.dixiegunworks.com/index/page/product/product_id/8675/category_id/321/product_name/SSB204+1851+NAVY+BRASS+FRAME+REVOLVER

The old Gregorelli & Uberti steel framed1851 Navy and brass framed Leech & Rigdon .36 caliber revolvers both came with non-engraved cylinders.

I think you can also order a non-engraved cylinder from Taylors & Co. but it might take months to arrive.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2019, 08:20:18 AM »
Hi, the two new on-sale Pietta 1851 cylinders arrived yesterday. They are roll engraved and very nicely blued cylinders. The nipples were removed and both nipples and cylinders were rinsed in paint thinner to remove the protective oil. The cylinders were dried, antseize put on the nipple threads, and then reinstalled in the cylinders. 20gr of Black Mz, a .36 sagebrush lubed wad, and Ballistics Products 0.38" ball were installed. It should be noted that the Ballistic Products 0.38" ball is swagged lead, but has a small amount of antimony to harden the ball. The Tower of Power loading tool is too weak to install the balls so an arbor press was used. Ballistics Products 0.38" balls are low cost and very accurate:

https://www.ballisticproducts.com/Super-Buck-Lead-0000-8-lb_jar-380/productinfo/SBK40/

The loaded cylinders were added to my extra preloaded Pietta 1851 cylinders stash awaiting a nice day to discharge.

Regards,
Richard

Offline sourdough

• 1851 Navy Parts Changer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2019, 01:23:40 PM »
Dixie sells a brass frame .36 caliber Pietta 1851 Navy with a non-engraved cylinder. It's on sale now for $185.

https://www.dixiegunworks.com/index/page/product/product_id/8675/category_id/321/product_name/SSB204+1851+NAVY+BRASS+FRAME+REVOLVER

The old Gregorelli & Uberti steel framed1851 Navy and brass framed Leech & Rigdon .36 caliber revolvers both came with non-engraved cylinders.

I think you can also order a non-engraved cylinder from Taylors & Co. but it might take months to arrive.

Historical L&R guns were all steel framed, not brass. The newer Uberti steel L&R guns have an engraved cylinder.

If you are looking for a smooth cylinder AND a part round/part octagon barrel, EMF has the Pietta G&G back in stock. $275. The barrel alone from VTI is $125 and the cylinder is also $100. Don't ask how I know.

https://www.emf-company.com/store/pc/1851-Griswold-Gunnison-36-7-1-2-110p1859.htm

Jim

We have met the enemy, and they is us. Pogo

Offline LonesomePigeon

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2019, 09:30:56 PM »
You're right Jim, L&R were the steel framed ones, I meant G&G. GU did not make a L&R, they made a steel frame 1851 and a brass framed G&G, both with smooth cylinders. Since you like Confederate revolvers, I recently saw in a Rock Island Auction catalog and Augusta Machine Works steel frame, smooth 6-stop cylinder, octagon barrel .36 caliber revolver. Basically just like GU's 1851 Navy.

Good to know that EMF has the G&G back in stock. I would like one but have other priorities now.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2019, 08:19:44 AM »
I would like to find a Uberti 51 Navy cylinder with no Naval scene rolled on it, no luck so far. I would put it on my Leeech and Rigdon.

Rebel Dave

Hi Dave, you could defarb the rolled on scene on the Uberti cylinder and nitre blue the cylinder, see:

http://blackpowdersmoke.com/colt/index.php/topic,2724.msg27590.html#msg27590

Regards,
Richard

Offline Necessaryevil

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2019, 02:18:13 PM »

Rebel Dave

You might want to check this out. It's an auction site in France but there is buy it now button and they will send internationally. Exactly what you are looking for perhaps ?

https://www.naturabuy.fr/BARILLET-UBERTI-COLT-item-5640403.html