Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Shooting in my living room  (Read 2192 times)

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
Shooting in my living room
« on: March 22, 2019, 06:48:16 PM »
Well, not exactly. But close!

Have any of you ever heard of or used the iTarget system? It's an app for your phone that registers hits from a laser in your gun. I bought it last year for my 1911, so I could do a little practice in the house. It actually works quite well.

Here's what the app looks like running.

In a nutshell, it works like this. The target is in a holder and the phone is set up in front of it in it's own little clamp. The target is nothing more than a plastic sheet with the target printed on it. You put the laser in the chamber of the gun (making 100% sure it is unloaded), cock the hammer and fire at the target. The phone's camera picks up the laser hits and keeps score. it even makes a gun shot sound. Of course if that get on your nerves, just put the phone on mute. That's it. It works pretty good. But I had to modify it to work in my Navy.

iTarget only has lasers for autoloaders. So they have .45 ACP, 9mm, 10mm, .40 S&W and I think a couple more. But no revolver chamberings. So I had to get creative to make it work in my revolver.

The laser mine came with is for the .45 ACP. So it would chamber in my .45 Colt conversion cylinder, but of course it would drop right through because it has no rim. What I did to fix that was, cut the rim off a .45 Colt case, enlarge the primer pocket to fit around the boss on the laser that houses the switch, and solder it on. It works perfect.

I also had to take a few 1000th's off the hammer face. it wasn't rebounding like it should, so it basically just turned the laser on and it stayed on. A little judicious file work and that problem is solved.

Here's a quick shot of the business end of the laser if you're interested.

I just fill the rest of the cylinder with snap caps, just to protect the firing pin.

The setup cost $49 if I remember correctly, and you have to download their app to your phone. It was worth it to me, just to relax in the living room and tinker with my gun. The kids really seem to enjoy it too. Makes it easy to teach them how to control a gun and go over gun safety. If you're interested in one, they're available on the website iTargetpro.com. I am in no way affiliated with these people. Just passing on a little info if you're interested.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
Re: Shooting in my living room
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2019, 08:38:21 AM »
Interesting! What is the max distance you can shoot?

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2019, 09:06:17 AM »
Interesting! What is the max distance you can shoot?

That's a good question Mazo. The instructions don't give a max distance. I just measured off the area in the living room, and it's right at 25' distance to the target. I'm sure I could stand a lot farther away from it than that too. Even at 25' the laser dot is very small.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2019, 09:10:52 AM »
Hi Dave, that's a pretty neat system. Thanks for showing it to us.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!