Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: I got robbed yesterday.  (Read 3734 times)

Offline Necessaryevil

• View Profile
I got robbed yesterday.
« on: June 04, 2019, 10:19:01 AM »
I ordered some new stainless nipples for the Colt Navy original cylinder from Track of the Wolf. The total price was $75 USD including $40 postage to Spain.

They arrived yesterday (quick delivery) and the postman mugged me for 25 Euros on behalf Spanish Customs. Robbing b*stards charged me 25€ Import duty on goods worth 30 Dollars US !

I decided against the alternative from Peter Dyson in the U.K. He does carbon steel blued nipples for original Colts and he wants TEN Pounds Stirling each plus postage. Obviously there would be no import duty.

Still I'm glad I bought the TOTW because apart from the fact they are stainless the quality is superb, I have them in my Uberti and my Pietta Navy Yank snub. On the flats they have the tiny letters COLT.......Unbelievable.

Anyway Today I coated them with Copper slip anti seize compound and screwed them into the original cylinder. They look real pretty. I'm going to have to go and try them this week.   
« Last Edit: June 04, 2019, 10:25:34 AM by Necessaryevil »

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
Re: I got robbed yesterday.
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2019, 10:21:27 AM »
That most certainly is robbery!!!! (jh
Glad you got yourself fixed up, tho...and cool to know about the "Colt" stamping!
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2019, 10:35:30 AM »
Wow, that's a shed load of Euros for such a tiny package!

The pistol looks good though and probably well worth the money spent. Specially to keep an original Colt up and running.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Necessaryevil

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2019, 10:55:54 AM »
Glad you got yourself fixed up, tho...and cool to know about the "Colt" stamping!

Thanks Capt....................If you amplify the photo you can see COLT on one of them  (7&

Offline Necessaryevil

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2019, 10:59:10 AM »

The pistol looks good though and probably well worth the money spent. Specially to keep an original Colt up and running.

Thanks Dave, she certainly is an excellent shooter for sure. I stripped her completely last week for the first time and gave her a thorough clean and lube. I found bits of caps inside the action, God only knows how she functioned ?

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2019, 11:50:48 AM »

Thanks Capt....................If you amplify the photo you can see COLT on one of them  (7&

Yeah, now I see it. So cool you got a 'survivor' up and running!
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Necessaryevil

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2019, 02:06:01 PM »
OH YEAH...................That she is. There's what she shoots like 10 metres free standing two handed grip.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2019, 02:43:21 PM »

Thanks Dave, she certainly is an excellent shooter for sure. I stripped her completely last week for the first time and gave her a thorough clean and lube. I found bits of caps inside the action, God only knows how she functioned ?

That is a testament to the inner workings of a Colt.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline bigted

• when all is said ... more will be said then done.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2019, 04:50:34 PM »

Ol Sam built em to go the distance did he not?  My second gen also had three cap bits in the action. Keept runnin tho.
BIGTED

Offline Necessaryevil

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2019, 02:46:18 AM »
Indeed BigTed, indeed.

I wonder how many of our Italian replicas will be around in 166 years time ? This gun is one of those objects in life I wish it could talk. I'd love to know how it got here from New York when it left  the factory in 1852 and all that happened in between ?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 01:17:26 PM by Necessaryevil »

Offline bigted

• when all is said ... more will be said then done.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2019, 10:01:06 AM »
Indeed. I have several weapons that if they could talk, they would undoubtedly have a entire book worth of stories.

Why does not someone somewhere invent a non marring machine to attach to original items and give a readout of it's history. Hmmm ... maybe over the top eh?
BIGTED

Offline Necessaryevil

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2019, 01:12:59 PM »
Indeed. I have several weapons that if they could talk, they would undoubtedly have a entire book worth of stories.

Why does not someone somewhere invent a non marring machine to attach to original items and give a readout of it's history. Hmmm ... maybe over the top eh?

Now that would be a great invention. I would pay to have it.