Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Would this be called a Navy?  (Read 13817 times)

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
Would this be called a Navy?
« on: November 27, 2013, 01:51:31 PM »
This has a very good chance of joining my battery of C&B revolvers; an 1861 Colt by Pietta.  )k* I don't know how correct the steel furniture is as opposed to brass....perhaps someone can tell me? This is unfired and has a twin brother.....who knows? Maybe they will be reunited if my wife co-operates. I have pretty much depleted the gun budget for a while though, and she has been very lenient with me.....so far!.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
Re: Would this be called a Navy?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 02:26:38 PM »
The steel furniture would probably indicate a "civilian" model. Very nice looking gun!
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 05:02:27 PM »
I'm thinking the steel back strap and trigger guard were on models cut for a shoulder stock. Civilian models had silver plated brass.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Fingers McGee

• Branson State Match, 2009
    • View Profile
    • Central Ozarks Western Shooters
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2013, 08:40:18 PM »
Blued steel back straps & trigger guards on the 1861 Navy are perfectly ok.  In the 1851 Navies, blued steel grip frames are generally thought to be an indicator of a pistol made in England - or IOW a London Model.  Back in the day, 1851 and 1861 Colt's Navies could be had with polished brass, silver plated brass, or blued iron grip frames.  The Navy; for some reason, preferred blued iron grip frames while the Army preferred silver plated brass. 

In the modern replica production era, brass is the most common grip frame material.  There is really no rhyme or reason for what Pietta and Uberti use for grip frames.  Currently, Uberti 4 screw, cut for shoulder stock frames are blued steel and 3 screw models not cut, are brass.  20+ years ago, they were the opposite.  Piettas are blued steel now days; but have been brass (even some with square back trigger guard) in the past.  ASMs were all over the place when they were made also.  2nd Gen and Sig Series Colts are 3 screw frames with silver plated brass.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 08:49:51 PM by Fingers McGee »
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts; SASS 28564-L-TG, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2013, 08:58:55 PM »
Thanks all; yep, this one is cut for the shoulder stock.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2013, 09:03:38 PM »
Thanks for clarifying, Fingers. I really like the steel look on the Colts. It's unique.

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2013, 04:53:33 AM »
You really need the pair, they display much better than a solo revolver.

Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline Fingers McGee

• Branson State Match, 2009
    • View Profile
    • Central Ozarks Western Shooters
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2013, 09:06:13 AM »
You really need the pair, they display much better than a solo revolver.

I drool all over the keyboard and turn green with envy every time you post pictures of those Strawhat.  Interesting how two of the same model revolver made in the same year can be so different.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts; SASS 28564-L-TG, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2013, 12:58:16 PM »
As I mentioned above, this one does have a twin brother, however, I mentioned the twin to friend and he REALLY would like to buy it so I will defer to him.  :'( (This makes 8 guns I have purchased from a friend's estate; other friends have bought 4 more, if this last offer goes through! Guess I need to lay low for a while..... L@J

Offline jaxenro

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2013, 07:32:21 AM »
squareback 1861?
Check out my website www.percussionrevolvers.com

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2013, 04:29:17 AM »
...I drool all over the keyboard and turn green with envy every time you post pictures of those Strawhat.  Interesting how two of the same model revolver made in the same year can be so different...

Plastic wrap over the keyboard helps prevent the drool from shorting out the electronics.  And amkes it easier to clean the keyboard.

The revolvers are about 600 numbers apart.  I got them in the mid 70's when The Log Cabin bought a lot of stock from Replica Arms (Marietta, Ohio) as they closing the store after being bought by Navy Arms.   These are the pair that started me on that long lonely trail down of my black powder revolver obsession.
Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline bigted

• when all is said ... more will be said then done.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2014, 10:11:57 PM »
dont have a clue where i got this but i remember from some place that the 36's were navy's and the 44's were army's. somebody smarter then me will have to chime in to either confirm that or set me/us straight.

the downer of getting old i guess ... think i heard this some darn place also ...  (jh    :D
BIGTED

Offline Kaboom

• Too many hobbies, too little time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2014, 02:53:54 AM »
I allas heard the same. Seems the army wanted a bigger ball cause they mighta hadda shoot a horse, whilst the navy was only corncerned with shootin peoples. Makes sense ta me, ennyways.
Black powder smoke is my Aromatherapy.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2014, 08:15:59 PM »
dont have a clue where i got this but i remember from some place that the 36's were navy's and the 44's were army's. somebody smarter then me will have to chime in to either confirm that or set me/us straight.

the downer of getting old i guess ... think i heard this some darn place also ...  (jh    :D

True. The 'Navy' caliber was .36 and carried as a sidearm by naval officers, while the .44 was the 'Army' caliiber carried by Army officers where the added firepower would be needed.

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2014, 02:58:43 PM »
I finally got around to trying to disassemble the gun today for cleaning purposes. I had heard before about tight wedges on some Pietta's... Man! Guess those folks were right about that "technician" being a gorilla. Either that or he used a 3 pound hammer to set the wedge gently in place! The entire gun it's nice and tight!