Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: "Texas Tuned" Pistols by TheOutlawkid  (Read 5200 times)

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
"Texas Tuned" Pistols by TheOutlawkid
« on: September 27, 2020, 03:24:39 PM »
So I've never had a professionally tuned gun before. And I wanted to get it done. I'm usually not in a financially good enough way to have the work done. When I first met TheOutlawkid, I was impressed with what he did to other people's guns, so I contacted him about doing mine.

Full disclosure, we worked out a trade deal. So having this work done didn't break my wallet. In reality, it's not really expensive anyway, and it's well worth the money.

On to the guns.

I sent him both of my Pietta 1860 Army's and both of my ASM Dragoons. He did a great job on these pistols in the week that he had them. He did his "Texas Tuned" action job and installed his wire spring setup on the trigger and bolt. He also installed hammer stops and action shields on the hammers. He gave me the option of having them made of brass or aluminum. I chose aluminum because I just liked the way they look better. Now cap fragments won't end up down in the guts to clog things up. He also filled the works with Mobile1 grease. These things are SLICK!

My guns already had cap rakes on them that I installed. So he obviously didn't need to do that. But it's included in his regular service if you so desire. I know they're not for everyone, but I like having them, specially on guns that will be used in competition sometimes. Every little edge helps.

I'm very happy with the way they turned out. I can't wait to shoot them! Thanks for doing them Sergio!
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline sourdough

• 1851 Navy Parts Changer
    • View Profile
Re: "Texas Tuned" Pistols by TheOutlawkid
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2020, 04:58:48 PM »
I have seen the replies about the Kid's work and have never seen a bad comment. His turnaround time is nothing short of fantastic. I am so very glad that there is a fairly young guy (as opposed to all of us old farts) who is very serious about this hobby and his work.

Good to hear you were very satisfied with his work.

Kid, I don't think you how much of an impact you have created in our world. Extreme kudos to you, sir!

Very kind regards,

Jim
We have met the enemy, and they is us. Pogo

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2020, 05:26:26 PM »
Impressive work and turnaround, Dave! Nice going, Kid!
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

TheOutlawKid

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2020, 07:06:31 PM »
Thank you for the kind words Dave! And thank you for the kudos Kirk! Them guns were actually difficult to work as they were mix matched parts and had other issues...so it actually wasnt a standard tune up and it took longer than expected. But we got through it in the end. Dave actually called me to thank me and was surprised they were the same guns...and i was very happy to hear that he really enjoyed the outcome and thats all that matters to me...that you like the end result. If anyone has any guns theyd like tuned just lemme know!

TheOutlawKid

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2020, 07:16:30 PM »
Mr.sourdough/jim, truly am humbled by your words. Thank you for the feedback. Im trying hard to provide a good service along with it being a quality product. And as far as age and this hobby goes....i think its because i was born in the wrong century lol. I dont do this to get rich or anything...i try and stay affordable and give deals when i can so i can help my fellow black powder enthusiasts...and the money helps get extra therapy for my daughter. Im hoping i could eventually do this full time

Offline AlaskanGuy

• Old
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2020, 06:44:58 AM »
I am proud of you Surgio.... truely.. Now go get some more...
Any technology not understood, can seem like magic. Bible Believer..

TheOutlawKid

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2020, 07:23:26 PM »
Thanks Mark! now go get some more what? Lol Hey btw you still havent answered my messages about .54 cal on black bear out there in your neck of the woods! :-P Mark...times a tickin and soon ill be out there. Hope youre ready to help this greenhorn out with some of youre alaskan ways!

Offline AlaskanGuy

• Old
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2020, 08:26:58 PM »
50 cal and above for round ball... and I am ready for some help with my wood pile!!!!  Now go get some more interest and work.. you got something awesome rolling!!!
Any technology not understood, can seem like magic. Bible Believer..

TheOutlawKid

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2020, 08:46:57 PM »
Lol mark im tryin! Doin what i can to get the word out! Workin on a facebook page etc.

Offline wattlebuster

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2021, 08:10:10 AM »
I have sent 3 Pietta 1860 armys to the outlawkid for work an I VERY HIGHLY recommend his work. His price is way more than fair an his WORD on his turn around time is true an exact. Your pistol will come back smooth as butter an pleasure to shoot. If an when I ever buy another cap an ball then before its even shot to Texas it will go

Offline Suntiger

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2021, 05:03:05 PM »
Looks like great work... I love my Piettas but they could be "smoother"... I think I may need to look at a Texas Tuning....

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2021, 05:12:32 PM »
Go for it Suntiger. He does a great job and his prices are very reasonable.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Suntiger

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2021, 06:23:46 AM »
You've convinced me ,Dave...I've sent ( or at least tried to send a message ), trying to arrange it .. just not sure if it works because 1. I never tried the pm thing here before and 2 a little red box w an x in it shows up by names?

Am taking the morning off and about to head to the range now to make a little smoke 😎

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2021, 10:16:09 AM »
You've convinced me ,Dave...I've sent ( or at least tried to send a message ), trying to arrange it .. just not sure if it works because 1. I never tried the pm thing here before and 2 a little red box w an x in it shows up by names?

Am taking the morning off and about to head to the range now to make a little smoke 😎

Excellen Suntiger.

Check your PM's. I sent you a message.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Gray Fox

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2021, 11:35:59 AM »
I have two at his place that he says are almost finished.  I sent two unfired Piettas, a full size 1860 Army and one of the much discussed 3" 1860 Armys with the Thunderer grip.  I'm looking forward to getting them back and to the range.  If I can get to the right range I'm going to set up my chrony and try several loadings with loose Pyrodex P, loose KIK fffg and Pyrodex 30 grain pellets.  I'll try both round ball and my self cast 200 grain Lee conicals.  If I'm extremely lucky my backordered .45 Colt conversion cylinder will come from Taylors and I can see how both shoot with Pyrodex loaded .45 Schofield and .45 Colt with my self cast Lee 255 grain round nose flat point bullets.  If that happens it will be the better part of an afternoon just shooting those two guns and I have a bunch of others I need to shoot.  Unfortunately it is 180 miles round trip to the range and gas aint cheap these days in my old V8 Ford 4x4.  I'll report back on this.  GF