Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Shot of the Day  (Read 86492 times)

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Shot of the Day
« Reply #180 on: March 19, 2021, 05:19:23 AM »
Hi Mazo, what is the barrel length of that magnificient Sharps (as a cavalry thingie it ought to be a tad shortened) ???

Military carbines were 22 inches. Civilian carbines were 25 inches.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Len

• View Profile
« Reply #181 on: March 19, 2021, 10:35:09 AM »
Hi Mazo, what is the barrel length of that magnificient Sharps (as a cavalry thingie it ought to be a tad shortened) ???

Military carbines were 22 inches. Civilian carbines were 25 inches.
Hello Hawg, so there was no different barrel length between  mounted/cavalry and infantry/sharp shooter's  Sharps (I would have thought that the mounted guys had still shorter barrels)

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #182 on: March 19, 2021, 11:10:59 AM »
Sharps infantry rifles had 30 inch barrels,  carbines (Cavalry)  were 22 inches.

Offline Len

• View Profile
« Reply #183 on: March 19, 2021, 12:04:52 PM »
OK, thanks guys

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #184 on: March 19, 2021, 05:41:11 PM »
I once had a mint Sharps rifle in 50-70 that was an armory conversion. I never should have let that one go as it was one of only 900 converted. I did make a good profit on the sale though.  L@.

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #185 on: March 19, 2021, 05:44:03 PM »
Hi, a powder tester.
Regards,Richard

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #186 on: March 19, 2021, 05:46:07 PM »
Hi, a powder tester.
Regards,Richard
Hi Richard, is this for display or have you used it to test different powders, substitutes, etc.?

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: March 20, 2021, 03:13:17 AM »
Hi, a powder tester.
Regards,Richard
Hi Richard, is this for display or have you used it to test different powders, substitutes, etc.?

Hi Emery, it's mostly for display. It could be useful to test the burning consistency of a powder over time. It is a miniature equivalent of a ballistic pendulum.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: March 20, 2021, 03:23:09 AM »
Hi, this is a photo (screen shot) of a spreadsheet results of ballistic testing Swiss powder. It is a significant test that requires more explanation to appreciate the results:

In August 2013 I conducted velocity tests of 3f Swiss Powder using a Pietta 8" barrel 1858 Remington. Six cylinders were loaded with different weights of 3f Swiss Black Powder and 0.454" 141gr Hornady swaged ball. Powder weights (not volume) of 10,15,20,25,30, and 35grs were tested. Each cylinder was loaded with Swiss powder, followed by a 0.030" thick .45 Colt fiber wad, followed by a 1/8" thick Sagebrush lubed wad, followed by the 141gr Hornady 0.454" ball. The ball, wads and powder were compressed using the Tower of Power loading stand. No filler was used. A Chrony chronograph was used to measure velocity. CCI #10 caps were used. Each cylinder (six shots) were fired and the muzzle velocity measured. The results:

10gr 528.33 fps   25.90 SD   87.38 f-lb
15gr 679.63 fps   15.56 SD   144.58 f-lb
20gr 806.27 fps   17.06 SD   203.48 f-lb
25gr 909.46 fps   11.33 SD   258.90 f-lb
30gr 997.98 fps   18.91 SD   311.76 f-lb
35gr 1076.2 fps   6.83 SD    362.54 f-lb

Some things to note: The 35gr loading was a maximum load, the ball was almost flush with the face of the cylinder. The ball energy at maximum load is consistent with a 230gr .45 ACP. All the weights given are actual powder weight measured by an accurate electronic reloading scale. The reason I used actual weight instead of volume is for weight accuracy for the low weight charges. You can convert the weight to volume if you choose by using the actual weight of Swiss thrown by a 30gr volume measure:
Swiss Black Powder 3f - 24.4gr

Of special interest to me was the efficiency of Swiss powder with different loadings. I created a chart of muzzle energy as a function of powder weight, see chart:

Isn't that beautiful, the muzzle energy is almost linearly directly proportional to the powder weight. It should be noted that from previous velocity testing the new GOEX Olde Eynsford will perform almost identical to Swiss black powder, weight for weight.

If you extrapolate the muzzle energy chart to zero, the intercept is ~2.5gr of Swiss powder. That suggests that ~2.5gr of powder is required to overcome the friction of the ball in the bore.

Therefore a minimum powder loading for an 8" 1858 Remington is ~2.5gr of Swiss. Anything less and the ball will get stuck in the bore.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline AntiqueSledMan

• View Profile
« Reply #189 on: March 20, 2021, 05:56:00 AM »
Hello Richard,

That's amazing. I never would have guessed, but it does make sense.
Would the proportions be same with a heavier bullet? They should.

Thanks for sharing, AntiqueSledMan.

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #190 on: March 20, 2021, 11:15:52 AM »
Richard, thanks for taking the time to do the testing and also for posting the results now.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: March 21, 2021, 04:00:40 AM »
Hi Antique, I agree that the proportions would be similar for different weight projectiles. However, the zero energy intercept would be different due to friction differences of different sized projectiles.

Regards,
Richard

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: March 21, 2021, 04:17:37 AM »
Hi, this is where and how I store my ~50lbs of muzzleloading powder. There is a large Coleman 150qt cooler that holds the powder and that cooler is inside a 150gal deck storage container. The storage container can be locked to keep the curious out. There are slots inside the Coleman cooler were boards were cut to serve as different powder separators. A few pounds of silica gel is also inside the cooler. A concern was that mice would chew into the Coleman cooler allowing moisture to contaminate the powder. Inside the deck storage container I have two small metal cans (Vienna sausage size) with a small rag stuffed inside. Each year I put a few drops of peppermint oil on the rags. So far there has been no sign of mice inside the deck storage container. Three concrete blocks are placed on the lid to discourage curious raccoons trying to lift the deck storage container cover. A photo of my powder storage.

Regards,
Richard

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: March 21, 2021, 10:52:58 AM »
That's a great powder storage container Richard. Keeps it clean and dry, and away from the house for safety.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Retreever

• View Profile
« Reply #194 on: March 21, 2021, 11:49:58 AM »
It hit +14degC today so I brought these guys along for their first shoot of the new year.

Retreever