Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Remington Beals .44  (Read 2192 times)

Offline sourdough

• 1851 Navy Parts Changer
    • View Profile
Remington Beals .44
« on: March 08, 2021, 01:51:39 PM »
Better get the rope!

I got this one at auction three weeks ago. It is a Dixie Gun Works Remington (AH/1981), marked ".44 CAL NEW MODEL ARMY", stamped DGG (Armi San Paolo) on the underside of the barrel hidden by the load lever. Assembly numbers (113) appear on the barrel, cylinder pin, frame under grips, and grips. It has a turn ring on the cylinder but the bolt clears early upon cocking until full cock. It is a Beals because there are only less than two barrel threads exposed, unlike the "classic" 1858 revolver. I got it at what I consider a fair price these days ($320). The gun appears not to have been fired, the load lever is somewhat stiff, and the cylinder pin appears to have never been moved.

I decided to venture beyond my Colt Navy "type" fixation after seeing one on another forum with a conversion cylinder. After conferring with our Richard, he gave me cylinder measurements of his Remington Beals percussion cylinder and his Taylor (Howell) Uberti conversion cylinder, and all match my revolver. When the new stimulus checks come in I believe I will buy one. Taylor's has one for $240 and Midway has one for $250.

Regards,

Jim

We have met the enemy, and they is us. Pogo

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
Re: Remington Beals .44
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2021, 07:13:09 PM »
Well look at you Jim!! That's a mighty fine revolver, even if it is a Remington.  L@.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2021, 10:22:02 AM »
Jim, there were other differences in the Beals besides barrel threads, For one, the shape of the sail on the loading lever was different. See photo below...

Pretty sure what you got there is a garden variety Remmy.

"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2021, 10:25:43 AM »
Otherwise, my SS Remmy would qualify as a Beals as well. And it ain't.

"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Len

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2021, 11:16:23 AM »
Threads, sail and the (non existing) safety notches

Offline sourdough

• 1851 Navy Parts Changer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2021, 03:36:11 PM »
Jim, there were other differences in the Beals besides barrel threads, For one, the shape of the sail on the loading lever was different. See photo below...

Pretty sure what you got there is a garden variety Remmy.

I appreciate the input, but it is is not a garden variety Remmy insofar as the ones produced today. Decades ago a few manufacturers must have had an "original" or something similar to copy as ASP was not the only one to produce such a revolver. The "sail" may not be correct but they were different on the 1861 Army and the 1861 Navy also.

Regards,

Jim
We have met the enemy, and they is us. Pogo

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2021, 04:06:28 PM »
I don't think anybody has ever reproduced a true Beals or anything close to one. I don't know if that was intended to be a Beals or just an Italian interpretation of an 1858.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.