Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Poll

Which is your Colt manufacturer of choice, and why?

Original Colt
0 (0%)
Second Gen Colt
6 (23.1%)
Signature Series
1 (3.8%)
Centaure
0 (0%)
Uberti
8 (30.8%)
Pietta
9 (34.6%)
Cimarron
2 (7.7%)
Other import (specify!)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Author Topic: Which is your Colt manufacturer of choice?  (Read 12647 times)

Offline Pat/Rick

• View Profile
Re: Which is your Colt manufacturer of choice?
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2014, 08:51:32 PM »
I have to say Pietta Bros. because that's what I have. One remmie .44, a Colt navy .36, an 1861 sheriff .36, and the G&G .36.

None have given me any trouble's other than the one's I created. There are guns I'd like that pietta doesn't make, but may never have the chance to compare. The other make's I have looked at, did not seem to have any noteworthy advantages over the Pietta's.

Offline Fingers McGee

• Branson State Match, 2009
    • View Profile
    • Central Ozarks Western Shooters
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2014, 09:38:00 AM »
My Colt manufacturer of choice............ that's a difficult question to answer.  There are many factors that impact that decision.  I have numerous C&B revolvers made by ASP, Palmetto, ASM, GLB, PR, Gregorelli & Uberti, Ruger (only 2 so please forgive me), Pietta, Uberti, and Colt's that were made from the 50s to the recent past (2012).  I do not own and have never owned any Sig Series Colt's; so, I can't comment on them.  For sheer beauty, it would have to be the C series 2nd Gen 1851s and 3rd Model Dragoons.  The quality of the fit and finish, the deep Royal Blue, and the real case colors just can't be beat.  For shootability, first choice would be my 2007 vintage consecutive SN Uberti 1861 Navies.  They shoot POA out of the box, are easy to load, and have fit and finish comparable to the F series 2nd Gens.  Uberti 1851 Navies and Navy Arms Frontiersmen run a close second to the 1861s with a pair of C series 2nd Gen Navies close behind.  Pietta makes some really nice revolvers that can be had at a good price and are smooth and accurate.  I have a pair of short barreled 1860 Armies that work well in CAS.  Current Pietta offerings from what I've seen are pretty good OOTB; but I wish they would use a more correct grip profile on the Navies.  ASM made some nice pistols in the 80s and 90s.  It wasn't till they got screwed when the Sig Series Colt's production ended that their quality went down hill.  I only own 2 ROAs and have only used them in one match, so will not rate them.  I think they are too heavy and they're not Colt's repros anyhow. If I was forced to rank my C&Bs by manufacturer; I guess it would be:

2nd Gen
Uberti
G&U
Pietta
ASP
Palmetto
ASM
GLB
PR

...............  but, I could be wrong
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts; SASS 28564-L-TG, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline Stillwater

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2016, 11:26:23 PM »
I would rate the 2nd gen Colts as the best, and then rate Uberti as the best "Colt type" Cap and Ball revolver manufacturer...

Bill
A man enters into contention and his mouth calls for strokes.

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2016, 10:01:30 AM »
Out of what I have I prefer Uberti. I have more Pietta's because of price. Out of what I have handled I would say first gen all the way. The second gens would probably be my first choice barring originals if money were no object. The third gens are nice but I can't deal with that signature on the back strap and they're not worth the money IMO.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2016, 03:26:12 PM »
Hi, now after owning a number of different Uberti and Pietta Colt models, I have mixed feelings. Current production Pietta's are shootable right out of the box. The Uberti Colts always need work. Parts for the Pietta's are half the cost of the Uberti's. However, after getting the Uberti set up, I like the feel and there is something that I can't identify why I prefer shooting the Ubert's. Maybe it has something to do with putting blood sweat and tears investment into getting the Uberti running is why they just feel right?

I would always recommend that a new BP revolver shooter start with a Pietta and then decide later what brand he wants for his future revolver purchases.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Suntiger

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2016, 06:26:55 PM »
I only have the two Pietta navy square backs that I got from Dixie this year ... But they have been great right out of the box... And I have put a pretty fair # of rounds through them...

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2016, 06:43:48 PM »
I would rate the 2nd gen Colts as the best, and then rate Uberti as the best "Colt type" Cap and Ball revolver manufacturer...

Bill

Altho Colt did the final fit and finishing they're still made from Uberti Parts so they would also be Colt "type".
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Stillwater

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2016, 08:19:56 PM »
If Pietta did the finishing on the Uberti Parts, would that make the finished guns Piettas?

Bill
A man enters into contention and his mouth calls for strokes.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2016, 10:32:52 PM »
If Pietta did the finishing on the Uberti Parts, would that make the finished guns Piettas?

Bill

Not to me.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2016, 04:21:43 AM »
Hi Hawg, then by your logic, while Colt finishes Uberti's, they are still Uberti's? Then the only true BP Colts are first generation?

BTW, if I remember correctly, some parts of the original 1847 Walker were farmed out, but they are still Colts.

How many angels can fit on the head of a pin?   (7+" (7+" (7+"

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline DoubleDeuce1

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2016, 08:18:12 AM »
For me:
2nd Generation Colts = Really beautiful
Signature Series Colt = Beautiful. Their engraved Paterson = Stunningly beautiful
Centaure = Beautiful
Uberti = Beautiful

8)

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2016, 11:43:12 AM »
Hi Hawg, then by your logic, while Colt finishes Uberti's, they are still Uberti's? Then the only true BP Colts are first generation?

Correct. Farming out parts is one thing but all of them? Colt's says they're Colt's so I'll go with that on the second gens but they're not actually true Colt's IMO.