Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Is the Colt Navy possibly the coolest gun ever made?  (Read 34377 times)

Offline bigted

• when all is said ... more will be said then done.
    • View Profile
Re: Is the Colt Navy possibly the coolest gun ever made?
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2014, 11:08:02 AM »
im with ya ... i twitch n turn with what seems like the whims of my mind. as long as it be before the turn of the century.

i have S&W's and Ruger's as well as Springfield auto's but when it be a day of relaxing and returning my mind to the real thing of beauty and style ... i always come to my colt replica's and modern Cold re makes of the real deal.

i think that the new stuff being made today is of better quality ...[steel wise]... then it were back when. after a bit of filing and polishing i believe they are better ...[naa put that rope away]... at any rate i am tempted to trade in my modern stuff for the old style stuff and go out with the satisfied grin of a happy man without the crazy new fangled contraptions of this modern society.
BIGTED

Offline Kaboom

• Too many hobbies, too little time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2014, 11:15:22 AM »
It isn't a C&B, but I am just before acquiring an 1880ish H&R top break 22. My son-in-law got one in a deal for stuff to auction (he's an auctioneer) and he wasn't interested in it. I mentioned that I was, and it is coming home with me one day next week. It looks to be in very good condition, and the price is excellent. So one more noise maker for me.   )k*
Black powder smoke is my Aromatherapy.

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2014, 11:40:16 AM »
I like some newer stuff but once you get past 1950 or so its pretty lame pickings. I'm more open minded where .22's are concerned tho. I traded a Cobray M-11 for a repro Winchester 97. One of the best deals I ever made.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline brazosdave

• Redneck Mower Jockey
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2014, 11:56:44 AM »
I do dig those top breaks from the late 1800's.  Though not a colt, I too fancy the S & W lemon Squeezers, Schofields, and the like.  Just fer something different, lol!
"I don't gotta kill a man, I just gotta make him sit down"

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2014, 02:58:20 PM »
I like the top break revolvers too.  I've been shopping for one for a while now but haven't found the right one yet.  The S&W Lemon squeezer is top of my list.

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2014, 05:21:29 AM »
For me, revolver advancements stopped in 1905, rifles in 1896.  However, there is one new model pistol that has caught me attention but it is neither Colt nor a revolver so will remain un-named.
Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline CraigC

• View Profile
    • Graveyard Jack's Sixgunleather
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2014, 07:17:04 AM »
If it ain't, it's definitely in the running!

Offline brazosdave

• Redneck Mower Jockey
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2014, 03:07:09 PM »
I love that little short barrel with the Texas Star!  What a great collection!  )Y%
"I don't gotta kill a man, I just gotta make him sit down"

Offline Fingers McGee

• Branson State Match, 2009
    • View Profile
    • Central Ozarks Western Shooters
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2014, 04:39:59 PM »
I don't know why Pietta doesn't put the London Model grips/grip frames on all the '51.  They are sooooo much more accurate that what they use on everything else.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts; SASS 28564-L-TG, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline dc7x64

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2014, 05:04:39 PM »
I 2nd that motion Fingers. Takes a lot of time and effort on Piettas to get that grip frame even partially right!

Offline Fingers McGee

• Branson State Match, 2009
    • View Profile
    • Central Ozarks Western Shooters
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2014, 08:52:12 PM »
The GWII cartridge gun frames are also more correct.  I've got them on a pair of .36 cal Pietta Marshal models and they look mahvelous
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts; SASS 28564-L-TG, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline Damol

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2014, 10:56:07 PM »
Picked up a Pietta 51 and the more I fondle it the more I like it. Saving for a 1860 backstrap and triggergard to swap ouy so it will fit my hand.
No other gun looks quite like it, and I realy like the 36 caliber its just such a fun little gun thats cheap to shoot. My Walkers have there place
but somthing about the 36 that just screems lets dance.

Offline bigted

• when all is said ... more will be said then done.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2014, 11:34:31 AM »
Picked up a Pietta 51 and the more I fondle it the more I like it. Saving for a 1860 backstrap and triggergard to swap ouy so it will fit my hand.
No other gun looks quite like it, and I realy like the 36 caliber its just such a fun little gun thats cheap to shoot. My Walkers have there place
but somthing about the 36 that just screems lets dance.

i know i really like my navy with the '60' grip frame. now it fits my big ol mitts and makes that 36 even more enjoyable for me. just make sure the other grip frame/grip is from the same manufacturer ... pietta with pietta ... or ... uberti with uberti. you can ensure that the fit will at least be as close as can be that way.
BIGTED

Offline treadhead1952

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2014, 05:34:45 AM »
You can put me in with the 1851 Navy .36 caliber appreciation league.  I like mine alot!  I have carried it for over twenty years, shot the blue blazes out of it with everything from ball to conicals to even shot on occasion.  The first time that I went out with a gent who was my employer and became a great friend over the years, he had a little metal gong target that he shot with his very nice S&W Model 10 .38 Special like it was wa-ay special.  When I hauled out my Navy and clanged it five times in rapid succession, that was all it took to make that the one revolver that he wanted to shoot every time we went out shooting.  It took a few times before he was able to load it and he made his wife purchase one like it for his birthday that year so he had his own.

Of all the hand guns that I own, here are my favorites.

Jay
treadhead1952
Las Vegas, NV USA

USMC Rules!

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2014, 12:36:57 PM »
What's that funny looking thing in the middle?
Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com