Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: A Wild Bunch Belt  (Read 4805 times)

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, it makes people wonder what you're up to.
    • View Profile
A Wild Bunch Belt
« on: November 25, 2022, 01:55:32 PM »
Many years ago I made a belt for a friend of mine. It was a copy of a +-1920 work belt that was my father's. It's a great design I've worn myself and I made one to use as a Wild Bunch belt to hold a 1911 holster and mag holders. My friend has worn his for over 30 years and won't wear any other belt. Period. He goes on about how he likes everything about it: the roller buckle, the double tangs and the backing piece behind the buckle. He mentioned the other day that his belt needed to be re-dyed. I told him to bring it over and I'd dye it for him. It needs a lot more than dye but I dyed it the other day. It's totally worn out so as a surprise I made a new one for him over the last few days. I'm giving it to him this weekend.

This one is made out of 8-9 oz bridle leather. I put copper rivets in it instead of the split end rivets the original had. Also, the original only had three rivets but I put four in it. He should be able to pick up a horse with this thing. I worked the whole belt both ways to soften it for comfort and to give it a little surface texture. I may have to make another one for myself.

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
Re: A Wild Bunch Belt
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2022, 02:03:38 PM »
I like it.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2022, 02:31:21 PM »
So do I Marshal 👍👍

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2022, 02:59:03 PM »
Thanks, pards. The original belt had a different buckle, like this one. In fact, this may be the original one. You won't find one of those anymore but a roller buckle is easy to come by. I took the tine off a second roller buckle for this belt.

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2022, 03:15:06 PM »
Unique design! I like it too....... another job well done!
"a dios rogando y con el mazo dando...y un buen cigarro"
-Mick

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2022, 03:19:58 PM »
Marshal, that will a nice surprise for him, I’m sure he will be very happy with it. Very nice gesture.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2022, 04:32:10 PM »
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2022, 09:03:11 PM »
Thank you, Mick, Capt.

Z, it'll be fun to give it to him. He's a generous person and it's nice to do something for him.

I forgot to mention that this belt is 1-1/2" wide where the original one was 2". That's a bit much but in the early part of the 20th century, they seemed to like wider belts. I find that with this design, 1-3/4" is maximum for every day wear. That fits through modern belt loops, too.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2022, 05:02:31 AM »
That is interesting Marshal. So I can only suppose that back in the early 20th century belt loops could accommodate the 2" belt. Switching gears, speaking of holsters,  I do not own a holster/rig myself. So bear with my ignorance here folks. So did folks wear a belt for the trousers and also a holster/belt combination on top of their trouser belt? I realize how stupid that must sound but I've never really considered that until now. I would love to have a couple of different holsters for the varying sized guns that I have. Having said that, you very rarely see someone wearing one where I reside. I suppose that most of the time, unless you are in Tucson or like place, you would not see them often, if at all. I even have a hard time at the thought of wearing a western hat. I would love to wear one but alas those are few and far between here. So it's the story of the proverbial sore thumb? Guess I should move to Tucson. Sorry, I did not mean to veer from topic. I really like your leather craft Marshal!!

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2022, 05:42:01 AM »
Belt loops weren't put on pants until around 1922 and only on dress pants. Baseball players had belt loops well before then and some coats. Before then everybody wore suspenders.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2022, 10:01:06 AM »
That is an awesome design Marshal!! I really like that.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2022, 10:35:36 AM »
Thanks, Dave. It's particularly comfortable, especially after it gets broken in.

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2022, 10:42:05 AM »
Hawg seems to have it right on the belt timeline. I have a family photo from the 1920's and two men in casual clothing have belts and one no belt or suspenders but he's working on a car or something.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2022, 11:18:04 AM »
I used to wear cheap belts when I was trucking but when I went to work in a factory I broke one every two to three months. I finally bought a Bullhide gun belt. It's 1 3/4 wide and 1/4 inch thick. It was tough getting it through a belt loop twice. I bought it in 08 and quit wearing it last year because I've lost so much weight it was wrapping around almost to my back lol. Now I'm back to cheap belts but I don't do anything that will break one.

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2022, 04:42:25 PM »
That sounds like quite a belt, Hawg. Why don't you shorten it so you can keep wearing it?