Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Got a little shooting in yesterday  (Read 4655 times)

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
Got a little shooting in yesterday
« on: July 08, 2014, 07:46:33 PM »
Yesterday I had a chance to shoot a  little so I took a few guns out to the ranch and made some smoke and noise.   I had 3 Colt revolvers I had not fired before so I took them and my Remington Buffalo with the shoulder stock attached along and grabbed a couple cartridge guns too.   
The Colts I took were a 2nd model Dragoon, an 1851 Navy Civilian model, and a brass framed 1851 51/2 inch sheriffs model.  I had never fired any of them before.   The Dragoon was really temperamental and took some coaxing to get the cylinder to turn after about 10 shots.  The civilian 1851 shot well and rang the gong consistently but had to be cleaned up some between loadings.   My favorite was the short barreled '51 brasser.  It rang the gong nearly every shot from 25 yards.  By far the best shooting revolver of the three Colts.   I will need to do a little tuning on the Dragoon and '51 civilian model in order to make them a more pleasant experience.
I was not impressed with the Remington Buffalo with the shoulder stock attached.  I prefer the Buffalo without it.
After we shot the BP guns we ran a few rounds through the Buffalo with the conversion cylinder without the shoulder stock. 
Last came out the 1911 and the S&W .38 special for a change of pace. I'm still not sure if I like the 1911 well enough to keep it or not.
 All in all a good day with a variety of guns.
No target pics since we shot the 5 inch gong all day but here's a pic of the we fired

Offline StrawHat

• View Profile
Re: Got a little shooting in yesterday
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 04:15:23 AM »
A little work on the Colts will have them humming along in no time.  I view all the Italian copies as kit guns, some need more work than others, but they all need something. 

I have only a little experience with the 1911 (Series 80, Government Model) and am slowly beginning to come to terms with it.  I started out shooting S&W revolvers, than C&B Colts, than S&W and been switching back and forth all my life.  The only self loaders I fired were one or two magazines only, just to say I had fired them.  Except a S&W m3913, that one lived in a holster on the straps of my vest so it got fired at least every other range day. 

Glad you got to go to the range, I haven't had the opportunity for a while.  Life gets in the way sometimes.
Knowledge carried to the grave unshared, is wasted.

www.NoonSharpening.com

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 04:52:02 AM »
Biggest drawback to shooting a lot is you have to clean a lot too.  I try to put at least a few cylinders worth through each gun I take.  That makes the cleaning worth it.   I really should shoot more,  The range I use is on the ranch where my son manages.   20,000 acres with a brand new pistol range in the middle of it.  Only one other person has used it since he's worked there.   It is an hour and a half drive from my house.
I finally hit a few times with the 1911,  it is a nice gun, looks good, (no plastic) feels nice in your hand, but I just don't enjoy it as much as the BP guns.   The S&W .38 is like pointing your finger, it just works for me.   Next modern revolver I buy will be a Colt for comparison.

Offline hiker.wild

• just do it !
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 07:23:12 PM »
my dragoon was a little tight as well..the wedge was drove in to deep..that and it had a hair trigger..disassebled it and filed the notch a bit deeper on the hammer ..now it works real slick !  thanks again for the fine job done on the holster and belt mike...
next sunny day ile rigg up and hit the trail with the dragoon....................................
fieldlines.com

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 07:49:56 PM »
Sounds like fun.  I've heard you have a couple good trails up there in Alaska.    My Dragoon was unfired when I bought it even though it was made over 30 years ago.  What a shame to leave that thing sit all those years.   I need to do a little work on the wedge and sear on mine but I love shooting those big framed revolvers. 
Post some pics of your trail walks if you can.

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 02:59:37 PM »
Mike, nice looking guns there! I know what you mean about having guns for a while that haven't been shot. My 2nd Dragoon is about 16 years old (would have to check the date code again), bought from a friend's estate and never shot. I bought a Walker about 6 years ago, got a conversion cylinder for it, and that, too, is unfired. That is going to change the next range outing!

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2014, 04:36:25 PM »
Hey Mazo,   I think it's time to get some powder put through that Walker.  I don't like to have too many guns around that I have never fired.   
I don't have any valuable guns that need to be preserved for future generations and these Italian reproductions are just made to take out and have fun with.   I can't see keeping them in a safe and taking them out to look at once in awhile.