Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Basket Case Navy  (Read 5674 times)

Offline Pat/Rick

• View Profile
Basket Case Navy
« on: July 13, 2014, 05:12:49 PM »
My Brother in law gave me a basket case navy this weekend. The thing had been through a fire,the finish is definently "antiqued". The mainspring is weak and the grips are gone. The (Italian) manufacturer is unknown, it has the squareback trigger guard. The softer metal's, Brass and plating and spring , are slightly disfigured or minus tempering (mainspring). He had the trigger and bolt spring replaced, his smith said it should still shoot.

It's ''loose'',, need's a new wedge and mainspring, and the cylinder arbor has a slight bit of play. My question's are, (oh boy  here it comes *6')

How can I tighten the arbor ? Is there a method for doing that at home?

Or, should I use it for part's and as a learning aid?

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Basket Case Navy
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2014, 05:34:21 PM »
The arbor is screwed in and locked with a pin. Drill out the pin a little oversize and tap the hole. Clean off the threads on the arbor and use red Loctite on the threads. Screw the arbor back in and put a set screw in the place of the pin. You can see the end of the arbor and the pin with the hammer cocked. Install the barrel and wedge so you know the arbor is lined up correctly while the Loctite dries.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 06:31:54 PM »
The arbor is screwed in and locked with a pin. Drill out the pin a little oversize and tap the hole. Clean off the threads on the arbor and use red Loctite on the threads. Screw the arbor back in and put a set screw in the place of the pin. You can see the end of the arbor and the pin with the hammer cocked. Install the barrel and wedge so you know the arbor is lined up correctly while the Loctite dries.

^^^^^^^this^^^^^^^^^
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Pat/Rick

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2014, 07:48:46 PM »
Thanks Hawg!! I'll start making up a part's list and get after it. I'm going to have my wife take pic's withher digital and maybe I can figure out how to post photo's. It would be nice to be able to offer a photo step by step of the resurection.

I'm not planing on doing anything with the finish. I'd kinda like to have one with a been there, look and have wanted an avenging angel for awhile as well. This may be doable with this one and I'll not be out much if all I end up with is spare part's LOL.

As stated I'm unaware of the manufacturer. Besides the "for BP only" and "made in Italy" on the bottom barrel flat, the only other marking's are the typical proof stamping's. It doesn't compare to my Pietta Bros. revolver's cylinder arbor in profile. Though unique, I don't think I care for the squareback TG

Besides DGW and VTI, who else sell's the necessary part's?

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2014, 03:32:47 AM »
Before you get parts you need to know who made it. ASP (Euroarms) made some square back navies, Uberti makes one and I think ASM made one. Pietta makes one in .44 with a brass frame but IIRC that one uses the longer grip frame of the 1860. I don't think Pietta ever made a square back .36 with a steel frame but I could be wrong. The gun should have a manufacturers logo on it somewhere, maybe under the loading lever close to the frame.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Pat/Rick

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2014, 04:01:27 PM »
Thanks Hawg, I'm still looking though I didn't get time today. I'll take a look again this evening.

Question, can manufacturers be distinguished by nipple thread pitch?

The wedge hole/cut/broach, in the arbor is square on the front and radiused on the back cut if that matter's or help's ID the manufacturer.  There's an answer in there somewplace.

I truly appreciate the help that is so freely given on this forum.  Thankyou.

Offline Pat/Rick

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2014, 04:36:40 PM »
DGG in a circle, so ASP/Euroarms. And AC=1977

Sooooo, who carry's Euroarm's part's these day's? Best selection,pricing,customer service, etc?

Also, is the nipple size thread pitch known?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 04:40:35 PM by Pat/Rick »

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2014, 09:12:28 PM »
DGG in a circle, so ASP/Euroarms. And AC=1977

Sooooo, who carry's Euroarm's part's these day's? Best selection,pricing,customer service, etc?

Also, is the nipple size thread pitch known?

Nobody I know of.
Most of the parts available from Dixie or VTI can be fitted without much trouble. Track of the Wolf can tell you which nipples will fit your gun, and if they can't, I've been told they will match them up if you send an old one.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"