Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Cap Sucking Colts  (Read 99365 times)

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
Re: Cap Sucking Colts
« Reply #90 on: June 10, 2016, 10:47:48 AM »
Hi Kirk, the 6% silver solder I used has a flux core, see:

http://www.amazon.com/Forney-38116-Silver-Fluxing-6-Percent/dp/B000PSB6KU?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Regards,
Richard
Right. Mine did too.
But it works like a bat out of hell if you brush paste flux on first. Try it.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline GaryC

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 11, 2016, 05:30:42 PM »
Richard, I stoned off the edges on the hammers on the pietta and Uberti navy's and stoned smooth hammer face after my last post.  It helped but the navy's were not prone to cap jamming anyway.  It did not help the pocket colts at all. Neither did filling the hammer slot and trying to reprofile the hammer face on one of them.   For those I'm thinking of a cap rake or a kitterige type mod when I get round to it.

Regards
Gary

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 12, 2016, 06:39:20 AM »
Hi Gary, thanks for your report. With the small Colts with the filled in hammer slot, did cap parts jam the revolver, or just caps fall in between the frame and hammer? After filling in my 1862 Navy Pocket hammer slot, whole fired caps did fall down in the space between hammer and frame, but twisting the wrist on pulling the hammer back allowed all caps fired to fall to the ground.

I remember old cowboy movies where those shooting while riding their horse would raise the barrel up to the sky when cocking the revolver. Maybe that practice was a left over from the days of cap and ball?

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 12, 2016, 07:55:54 PM »

I remember old cowboy movies where those shooting while riding their horse would raise the barrel up to the sky when cocking the revolver. Maybe that practice was a left over from the days of cap and ball?

Regards,
Richard
Nah. Just Hollyweird drama. We used to laugh and say they were trying to "fling" the bullets for that little extra "oomph".
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 12, 2016, 08:11:23 PM »
‘Flinging’ is a different phenomenon from raising the revolver on the re-cock.  Flinging is usually accompanied with such statements as “…stinkin lousy coppers”, or “we know ya squeeled Franky, you dirty rat”. 

Raising the muzzle on cocking is usually done without lines and probably does actually have some historical basis related to C&B revolvers. 
« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 08:15:12 PM by G Dog »
"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline GaryC

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 12, 2016, 08:34:03 PM »
Richard,

I filled in the hammer slot in the Wells Fargo with JB weld.  No cap pieces but I got fired caps in the hammer slot which would cushion the hammer blow if I did not remember to turn the gun upside down to cock it.  Sometimes they would fall out turning the gun over, sometimes not.  This was like every other shot.  The hammer faces on both the Wells Fargo and 1962 Pocket Police only touch the cap at the top and slant away from the nipple as at the bottom.  I think this makes it easier for the caps to blow back into the hammer slot if the hammer rebounds even a little bit.  Also I have put Tresos on both guns. With the wells fargo I was getting cap jams (with the treso nips and filled in slot) even with 8 grains of 4F, which is a light load.  I'm going to try to come up with a Kittrige type spring plate on the 62 pocket police.  In my navys I had few cap jams and none after I stoned the hammer face and rounded the bottom corners of the safety slot.

gary

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 13, 2016, 06:27:59 AM »
Hi, this last weekend my son-in-law brought out his Pietta 1851 revolver that I gave him for Christmas. I had a number of cylinders already preloaded for him to use. It didn't take but the 2nd or 3rd shot for him to experience cap sucking. Caps stuck to the hammer, and caps falling in between the hammer and frame were experienced. A little training on the wrist twist, or overhead hammer operation minimized the cap sucking. After shooting was completed, I asked him how he like his 1851. He said shooting the 1851 was fun, but not 100% reliable as his 1858 Remington. Then I asked him which is the most attractive revolver, the 1851 or 1858. The 1851 was his preferred best looking and fun to shoot revolver.

I offered to replace his 1851 hammer with a replacement hammer where the hammer slot is filled in. His decision was to keep the hammer slot so that the Colt safety feature remained intact. With his current skill level, I couldn't disagree.

Regards,
Richard

Hi, yesterday my son-in-law came out to visit and brought along his Pietta 1851 to shoot. I didn't have any preloaded cylinders available for him and thought it was time that he learned to field load his 1851. As expected, it went slow at first, but as he gained skill the loading became very easy for him. He fired a couple of dozen cylinders. What surprised me is that there wasn't a single sucked cap, all the cap parts fell harmlessly away from screwing up the action. Based on what we have seen before, I would have expected a number of cap jams. I examined the hammer face slot and it is typical of new Pietta Colts, sharp.

I am truly at a loss of understanding on how on one day there is a large amount of cap sucking and then on another day none at all. The mystery deepens.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 13, 2016, 08:21:37 AM »
Richard,

A cap post alleviates the "mystery" since it's there for that very reason. It's an answer when there are no cap jams. (Course, it's a head scratcher when the rare one does happen! It's not perfect, just close.).     (@+

Sorry, I just had to .  .  .  .   no response requested or needed .  Carry on .         (7+"

(You're a good sport!!)

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @ goonsgunworks
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 08:23:53 AM by 45 Dragoon »

Offline LonesomePigeon

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 15, 2016, 08:20:03 AM »
Regarding Hollywood gunfights on horseback. One reason for pointing the gun upwards is it keeps your center of gravity tight and makes the gun feel lighter. Pointing a gun forward at arms length while being jostled around takes more effort because your shoulder muscles must support the weight of both the gun and your arm. 

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 15, 2016, 10:22:28 AM »
True dat, Lonesome.  IMO Colt 1860’s really shine when used horseback, that extra bit of grip really comes into play.  I love a Sixty anywhere but they seemed almost designed for mounted shooting.  Just a thought.
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline Stillwater

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 30, 2016, 07:03:17 PM »
Has anybody else tried breaking these sharp edges to relieve the tendency for percussion caps adhering to the Colt hammers...?

Thank you,

Bill
A man enters into contention and his mouth calls for strokes.

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 31, 2016, 02:01:50 PM »
Yes. 

I have never used the epoxy method to fill in the safety pin hole but I’ve stoned and sanded the hammer faces a little ... just a little. I did just enough of that to smooth out the ‘teeth’ and sharp edges that might bight into the cap and pull it off the cone on the next cocking action.  It has worked well.  I don’t get any more frequent cap detaching problems on the Colt’s than I do on Remington’s, which is not many and not often. 

I use stock Pietta cones and No. 10 CCI.  These particular Pietta cones range from 1997 to 2011 and all work just fine.
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline Stillwater

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 01, 2016, 01:14:04 PM »
This Mike Bellivue reconditioning a colt hammer.

Bill
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 01:15:36 PM by Stillwater »
A man enters into contention and his mouth calls for strokes.

Offline r5868

• View Profile
    • ANZACSONS
« Reply #103 on: August 08, 2016, 04:22:36 PM »
Had my first real experience with cap sucking with my new 1851 London Navy. First two cylinders were fine and then, the caps took two goes to fire or the caps were sucked. At home I test fired some caps, after removing most of the primer material by soaking in water. They still fired but didn't blow the caps apart. One was sucked off and stuck to the hammer. The rest tended to come off the hammer but fall clear.

Photo shows the pattern left in the cap by the hammer.

The surface of the hammer face.

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 08, 2016, 04:43:35 PM »
That hammer pic is of a hammer that has been dry fired a lot.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.