Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: What did you do today  (Read 349756 times)

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
Re: What did you do today
« Reply #2160 on: March 28, 2023, 08:02:50 PM »
The newer paints will kill you faster than the old stuff. Full body safety suits are required to spray it. The new tech stuff is just a lot better for durability.
"a dios rogando y con el mazo dando...y un buen cigarro"
-Mick

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, it makes people wonder what you're up to.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2161 on: March 28, 2023, 09:33:42 PM »
That's outstanding, Mick. Thanks for the photo. I love those early El Caminos. Does that V-8 emblem on the side mean it has the 283 or the 327 Turbo-Fire in it?

It was a 283 car.....but that motor has been transplanted into a buddies jeep. It's a 4.8L LS now. It was cheap, and I can easily drop a bigger LS in if I feel the need, the blocks are all pretty much the same.

I'll probably just leave the 283 emblems on it.,,,,just because.
Those emblems are very cool looking. I'd leave it too. Now nice it is that the larger engines are so interchangeable. I look forward to photos after you have it all painted.

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2162 on: March 29, 2023, 02:13:26 AM »
The newer paints will kill you faster than the old stuff. Full body safety suits are required to spray it. The new tech stuff is just a lot better for durability.

Imron is polyurethane and it's pretty dang durable.it was originally an aircraft paint and I think it still is. It also keeps a high gloss wet look after it dries.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2163 on: March 29, 2023, 09:12:28 AM »
With all of the things going on in the world right now (not to mention firearms) it’s difficult to get overly interested in slot cars and Caminos.  You’re right though, I don’t have to read it but I do anyway.  It’s just that I don’t know why.

L@J

Not a damn thing any of us can do about all the things going on in the world. I'm certainly not going to let any of it affect the way I live. I get great joy from my guns, slot cars, and real cars.

I keep my head down, live right, and teach my children to live right. That's the best any of us can do.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #2164 on: March 30, 2023, 03:09:51 PM »

Imron is polyurethane and it's pretty dang durable.it was originally an aircraft paint and I think it still is. It also keeps a high gloss wet look after it dries.

Imron is a high end polyurethane. But other manufacturers have polys of equal or better quality....like PPG or Sherwin Williams just to name a couple. The "Imron" trade name has been around for 6 or 7 different generations of the name and is still around today. It is now owned by Axalta.

When I owned my auto paint store, we sold a Sherwin Williams product that far outlasted Imron for gloss retenton. My biggest customer was the Pima Air Museum. There are planes sitting out in the Arizona sun for almost 20 years that are every bit as shiny as the day they were painted. But most don't want to pay the price for it on the automotive side.
-Mick

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #2165 on: April 06, 2023, 04:20:17 PM »
Finally finished my taxes. Started the paint stripping process on the El Camino. It's a messy messy ordeal.
-Mick

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #2166 on: April 06, 2023, 05:28:55 PM »
Finally finished my taxes. Started the paint stripping process on the El Camino. It's a messy messy ordeal.

Yes, it will be. Lots of luck on that!
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2167 on: April 07, 2023, 10:04:57 AM »

I don't miss that at all. Are you doing it with chemicals, or mechanical?
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #2168 on: April 07, 2023, 01:43:24 PM »
Well Dave.......aircraft stripper first.... the most messy way. I wanna get all I can that way and see where it ends up.  As you know, I may still need to get the nooks and crannies soda blasted, but we'll see when we get there. Body is coming off to go on the Rotisserie. I wanna do it right and be able to reseal all the seams etc. Big project for a vehicle that just isn't worth that much to anyone but me.
-Mick

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2169 on: April 07, 2023, 01:53:02 PM »
I dunno, Mick. It might be worth more than you think. I saw a '65 El Camino advertised for 80K a while ago.

I like that you're doiing it right. So many don't get the full treatment and still rust out underneath what otherwise would be a good paint job.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2170 on: April 07, 2023, 04:20:20 PM »
Well Dave.......aircraft stripper first.... the most messy way. I wanna get all I can that way and see where it ends up.  As you know, I may still need to get the nooks and crannies soda blasted, but we'll see when we get there. Body is coming off to go on the Rotisserie. I wanna do it right and be able to reseal all the seams etc. Big project for a vehicle that just isn't worth that much to anyone but me.

I hear ya. But I beg to differ. That car is worth a lot now. Specially with all the work you've put into it. And now a new paint job will only make it more valuable.

You may know this already, but here's a little trick for you using the stripper. Brush it all over the part you're stripping, then cover the part in plastic. Let it sit for a for a few hours. You'll be surprised how much more paint comes off the panel. Keeping the gasses in under the plastic really kicks the stripper into high gear.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2171 on: April 07, 2023, 04:36:17 PM »
Yeah Mick, that Camino is worth a lot more than you think it is.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #2172 on: April 07, 2023, 04:52:07 PM »

I hear ya. But I beg to differ. That car is worth a lot now. Specially with all the work you've put into it. And now a new paint job will only make it more valuable.

You may know this already, but here's a little trick for you using the stripper. Brush it all over the part you're stripping, then cover the part in plastic. Let it sit for a for a few hours. You'll be surprised how much more paint comes off the panel. Keeping the gasses in under the plastic really kicks the stripper into high gear.

Thanks Dave! I'd heard that years ago...but had forgotten about it. I'll  that for sure!
-Mick

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #2173 on: April 07, 2023, 05:18:48 PM »
That value has gone up over the past few years.... but I'll be into it a lot more than I could get out of it. I'll never sell it....so it really doesn't matter to me. Just blessed to be able to afford this one thing in my life.
-Mick

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2174 on: April 07, 2023, 09:29:03 PM »
That value has gone up over the past few years.... but I'll be into it a lot more than I could get out of it. I'll never sell it....so it really doesn't matter to me. Just blessed to be able to afford this one thing in my life.
Good to hear. Some things just don't have a dollar value. One of these days I'll get down there to see it.