Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: What's the point of having this message board?  (Read 17956 times)

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
Re: What's the point of having this message board?
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2015, 11:01:44 AM »
Invite away, lads. Anyone who is already a member in good standing over there will be automatically registered by myself without having to go through the verification process.
In fact, that's probably the best thing you all could do for this board...if you see an opening, make the extra step. I've made numerous appeals to the membership over there, but they don't always get read, or go to the bottom of the heap over time.
And a personal invite is almost always taken as bearing more weight than a general 'blanket post' call to arms.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Dellbert

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2015, 10:31:10 PM »
Every time I use a Colt I'm learning something.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2015, 03:30:20 AM »
Every time I use a Colt I'm learning something.

Hi Dellbert, interesting point. Most any inexperienced person can use an 1858 Remington, but to effectively use a Colt requires some experience and a good understanding of the Colt's theory of operation. The Colt can be initially very frustrating to a newbie, cap sucking being the biggest hurdle, the wedge the second. However, once mastered, the Colt is a naturally pointing handgun with exceptional accuracy. The removable barrel of the Colt allows easy cleaning and inspection of the barrel.

IMO the Colts are for real men, the Remmies for boys. Take that Johnnie.  (@+ (@+ (@+

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2015, 06:49:49 AM »
Well,
 A properly set up open top will out run a Remie many times over. They will easily shoot 50-60 rounds without binding. I know of one fellow that got 160+ rounds each .  .  . no cap jams .  .  .  no binding .  .  .  .  from a pair of open tops  .  .  .  .  over a weeks time , with nothing more than wiping down the exterior at the end of the day, no disassembly.
 Can't argue with that!!
 Open tops can be as reliable as any modern handgun.

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2015, 08:50:31 AM »
Yep Scooby,  I have heard the same thing.  I have been trying to decide which one of my guns I would like to have worked over by Mike.   I want to see first hand what Mike does with an open top.   I'm just afraid if I have one done I will want to send more.   I have a Pietta 1860 Army that needs some help.   Maybe I should send him that one.

Offline Dellbert

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2015, 01:27:02 AM »
Richard! we need to put Johnnie to rest. No reason to drag it out. Don't think he'll show up here. *k)

Offline sourdough

• 1851 Navy Parts Changer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2016, 05:30:38 PM »
I normally don't visit the forums in the first section (such as this one: The Suggestion Box) but finally noticed the title and the Q by ssb73q and was surprised: he has posted a bit more than I have and I enjoy his posts and respond in kind.

I normally go to the next section first and look for new posts on the various pistol categories. I, for one, am interested in historic info on all Colt type C&B revolvers, original, replica, or "fantasy". I'm a newbie and am striving to build my library in order to discuss things intelligently. I enjoy this forum immensely and, to those who wish it goes away, my Q is: where the hell are you gonna go to discuss such things? 1858 Remmy? Colt Forum? TFR? THR?

I am not downing those sites a bit. This forum and this http://blackpowdersmoke.com/revolvers/index.php is where it is at, IMO.

What is needed is for folks to stop lurking and post good information for study, whether it is original Colts, replica Colts, Confederate copies, Pockets, Walkers, Dragoons, 1855's, et al, and include documentation. It is all interesting to folks like me who crave something new.

IMO, don't worry if what you post may not be correct. If you are wrong, most of the old-timers will chide you politely, and NO ONE on this forum is an absolute expert.

I will do my best insofar as that goes. I am outta here and will concentrate on the specific categories in the second section.

Jim
We have met the enemy, and they is us. Pogo

Offline mo58

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2016, 02:17:26 PM »
Sorry if Im intruding as a newbie here. 
Fun, knowledgeable tic for tac is a useful part of any entertaining and/or educational conversation  ...But..true bickering about these ancient revolvers? Just plain silly IMO.

Took a young friend out shooting a couple times ...hes a tinkerer, into old locks n other mechanical things. We shot a bunch of my guns and as I predicted, he was AS interested in solving issues, experimenting with loads, taking them apart, etc as he was flawlessly firing six shots dead on target.  Month later, I got a text from him with a pic of an AR that he proudly milled out. First gun hes owned and he had not shot it yet...he wanted to go shooting...go figure.  We shot all his ammo and then he proceeded to load and shoot my good old problematic cap n ball pistols for a couple hours...with the biggest grin on his face.  Curiosity, logic, fun ...combine em and you really got SOMETHING  :)

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2016, 03:11:50 PM »
Sorry if Im intruding as a newbie here. 
Not at all! Jump right in.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2016, 11:08:00 PM »
bickering about these ancient revolvers? Just plain silly IMO.

It’s not ‘bickering’ really, nor silly either.  It’s more in the nature of the perennial Chevy/Ford discussion, only way more important and interesting.  It’ll never end.  And long life to it, too.  Colt’s and Rem’s go together like peas and carrots.  I just love fussin’ over em with a highly knowledgeable and good natured outfit (meaning all of you-uns).
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 11:09:38 PM by G Dog »
"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle