Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Just done and did it.  (Read 12146 times)

Offline Hewy

• View Profile
Just done and did it.
« on: July 28, 2016, 08:58:41 AM »
After considering an 1862 Police for a lonnnng.... long time, ordered a  Uberti 5 1/2 "today.
Will let yall know what it is like. Should be gettin it next week. L@.
Hewy
BETTER TO GETTIN than GETTIN GOT.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
Re: Just done and did it.
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2016, 10:15:43 AM »
Hi Hewy, congratulations, good for you. I look forward to your first shooting report. Don't forget the photos.  :)

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2016, 10:29:36 AM »
You are sooooooooo weak!  (7+"
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Hewy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2016, 11:48:20 AM »
You are sooooooooo weak!  (7+"
I are that. )l_
Hewy

Offline Hewy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2016, 04:16:32 PM »
Hi Hewy, congratulations, good for you. I look forward to your first shooting report. Don't forget the photos.  :)

Regards,
Richard
Richard , as you are the collector of variuos Colt .36 models, I wanted the Uberti because it seems to be closer to original
Police size. Hopiing to get a good one. Dixie has a bunch in stock and after talking with a knowledgeable
person there, I was assured that they would replace or refund my purchase  if I'm not happy.The one thing that
was acknowledged is Uberti's slip in QC............I'll see L@J
Hewy
Hewy

Offline Fingers McGee

• Branson State Match, 2009
    • View Profile
    • Central Ozarks Western Shooters
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2016, 04:33:00 PM »

Regards,
Richard
Richard , as you are the collector of variuos Colt .36 models, I wanted the Uberti because it seems to be closer to original
Police size. Hopiing to get a good one. Dixie has a bunch in stock and after talking with a knowledgeable
person there, I was assured that they would replace or refund my purchase  if I'm not happy.The one thing that
was acknowledged is Uberti's slip in QC............I'll see L@J
Hewy

Dixie is a good place to deal with.  They have always made me happy.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts; SASS 28564-L-TG, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2016, 05:57:07 PM »
Good for you Hewy,  you will like the feel of the Police model.    The smaller frame makes for a fun shooter in .36 cal.

Offline LonesomePigeon

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2016, 07:30:23 PM »
According to the Dixie Gunworks flyer I have, the Uberti 1862 Police actually has a correct chamber to bore relationship.
1 - 32" twist
Lands .360
Grooves .370
Chamber Diameter .372

Offline Hewy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2016, 06:50:33 AM »
I reread the discussion started in 2014, comparing Pietta and Uberti see http://blackpowdersmoke.com/colt/index.php?topic=896.0
Interesting..... part of my choice is that the Uberti is same sized as the original Colt Police.The other is Dixie sale of $295.
Looks to me like the wrong gun shipped, was the picker out in warehouse, that happens.
Hewy

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2016, 08:30:29 AM »
Hi Hewy, you may want to see these video:

The main issue for the Colt (Uberti) 1862 is cap sucking. My Uberti 1862 is mostly a safe queen because of this issue. I had similar cap sucking with the 1849 revolvers, but now use them exclusively with 32 S&W conversion cylinders. These small framed Colts when used C&B have cap sucking, but are still a joy to hold. My babies:

The Remington 1863 doesn't have any cap sucking, go figure.

I look forward to your shooting report. Hopefully, you will have better success than me.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Hewy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2016, 10:49:40 AM »
I recall seeing the two videos before, watching them again today makes it more significant
knowing one is on it's way to me. :)
Thanks for the reminder.
Hewy

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2016, 11:30:34 AM »
Hi Hewy, don't dispare if you have cap sucking with your new 1862 revolver. There is a workaround that helps cap sucking, see:
http://blackpowdersmoke.com/colt/index.php?topic=960.msg16625#msg16625

Goonworks (Mike) could also put in a cap rake for you.

Regards,
Richard

Offline Hewy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2016, 05:13:21 PM »
Received the 1862 Poilice today. Beautiful, nice gripe blueing, case harden frame and tight action. Cycled the hammer 1/2 cock, full cock all operated perfect.
Feels comfortable in my hand.
Got the cleaning gear out to degrease and wipe down the packing oil.Removed the barrel wedge the nipples needed to be
removed to get the grease out, and of course typical tighter than the .............you fill in the blank.
Here it comes tried to reset the wedge, lightly tapping ya right . Harder tapping nothing with a plastic small hammer no go.
This my first Uberti, I was hoping from what I have read they are a little  better than Piettas ....hummmm not yet.
All my Piettas have worked just fine. In particular the last 1851 Navy I bought it is perfect.
Ya I could file the wedge on the Police but, do I really need to ?
Dixie will take it back I know.  :(
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 07:13:23 PM by Hewy »
Hewy

Offline Hewy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2016, 07:20:19 PM »
Now that I have settled down and really took a magnified look at the wedge and the cylinder pin slot, they don't mate.
The wedge has squared edges and pointed corners. The slot is slightly rounded at either end of the opening.
So sez I, just file the wedge to match the slot. OK sez I , I will and I did . Guys guess what, the wedge fit fine. Just a light tap
and scured the barrel.
I'm happy again............Lets see how it shoots (@+
Hewy

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2016, 09:49:31 AM »
Hi Hewy, glad to hear you got your 1862. I want to see photos and more photos.  &\? &\? &\?

Regards,
Richard