Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: My old Rabbit Ear  (Read 10333 times)

Offline Cross Plains Drifter

• View Profile
My old Rabbit Ear
« on: December 12, 2016, 02:25:04 AM »
This is my old N.R.Davis & Son 12 gauge that I still shoot low brass in occasionally......

every single part  on this gun carries this lonely single digit serial number

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
Re: My old Rabbit Ear
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2016, 05:02:44 AM »
I like that one, CPD! Simple and functional.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2016, 05:32:21 AM »
I'm searching for one of those CPD.   Yours is just the ticket.   Seems everyone thinks they are worth more than I want to pay or the wrist or forearm is broken beyond repair.   
That's a nice old gun.

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2016, 04:14:08 PM »
First of all you're not doing it any favors shooting modern shells out of it as it most likely has chambers between 2 1/2 - 2 9/16 inches. When it's fired the crimp will open up over the forcing cone raising pressure drastically. There's no difference between high brass and low brass. There used to be but not for many years, now high brass is a marketing ploy. That's not a serial number, it's an assembly number.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2016, 06:08:57 PM »
She is a prime candidate for brass hulls loaded with black powder.  :)

That's why I am wanting one,  I would like to try loading some brass BP shotshells.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2016, 07:21:23 PM »
I cut down plastic hulls for my Lancaster but I can only reload them once, sometimes twice.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2016, 07:50:12 PM »
Brass hulls are reasonably priced all things considered until you get up to the 10 gauge size.   $10 each is what has prevented me from buying a couple fair priced old 10ga. shotguns.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2016, 10:10:47 AM »
I had seen where the 10 gauge hulls were very pricey. My buddy just aquired his granfather's 1887 Winchester in that gauge. I gave him fair warning on the cost. When he gets them, he is going to come by and learn how to load them with black.

I've got an 1887 in 12 gauge I got when I was 11 and grew up hunting with it but I won't say nuffin about what I shot out of it. :D The barrel is 32 inches, I just couldn't get it all in the pic. I need to take some new ones.

Offline Cross Plains Drifter

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2016, 03:19:24 AM »
First of all you're not doing it any favors shooting modern shells out of it as it most likely has chambers between 2 1/2 - 2 9/16 inches. When it's fired the crimp will open up over the forcing cone raising pressure drastically. There's no difference between high brass and low brass. There used to be but not for many years, now high brass is a marketing ploy. That's not a serial number, it's an assembly number.

yeah......had to tighten and reset the action when I got it.........it does fine on low velocity (what we all call low brass around here) #1 buckshot......the barrels are steel, not twist.
funny, Dixie Gun Works didn't mention it was an assembly number when I asked them to date it for me a couple decades ago ($10 charge for that).
anything else chapping you about my shottie?

nice old shotguns you have btw.........I gotta get my '97 Winnie back from loanout someday
« Last Edit: December 17, 2016, 03:22:38 AM by Cross Plains Drifter »

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2016, 01:07:21 PM »

anything else chapping you about my shottie?

nice old shotguns you have btw.........I gotta get my '97 Winnie back from loanout someday

Nothing is chapping me about it. Just trying to help you with info is all and maybe keep you from messing it up or getting hurt by using the wrong length shells in it. It's a nice old gun.

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2016, 11:49:45 AM »
Mike, had I only known.....early last year I took a British 10 ga. double to auction! It had an under-lever barrel release, didn't seem to be too bad as far as locking up. I had it for many years and never shot it. Wanna guess what I paid for it! No, it would just make you depressed! L@J

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2016, 11:59:49 AM »
I paid 68.00 for my Lancaster and 75.00 for my L.C. Smith but she dont's got's no hammers. (7+"

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2016, 12:36:23 PM »
Mazo,   no I don't want to know.   $300 to $500 seems to be what the asking price is for anything decent.   

Hawg,   you're making me depressed.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2016, 01:41:28 PM »
  Hawg,   you're making me depressed.

I bought the Elsie in the late 80's and the Lancaster in the early 90's if that makes you feel any better.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2016, 05:37:15 PM »
Not much better but a little.   I suppose I could have bought them that cheap back then but I wasn't thinking about guns at the time.