Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: All-Around Gun "Grease"  (Read 6822 times)

Offline shooter13

• View Profile
All-Around Gun "Grease"
« on: April 22, 2018, 05:37:19 PM »
Am I to believe that the places which should take a little shot of grease would be best served by a little shot of bore butter, or is there something else I'm missing?

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
Re: All-Around Gun "Grease"
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2018, 08:25:44 PM »
Anywhere I could use gun grease, I use lithium grease.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2018, 11:56:45 AM »
Bore Butter won't adhere to the arbor for me.  It soon blows off and dissipates.  For the past several years, upon Captain's recommendation, I have used Lubriplate 630.  That stuff works great.

"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2018, 03:23:57 PM »
Hi, I never use any grease type of product on BP revolvers. Fouling turn the grease to black goo that is difficult to clean off. I simply use Ballistol that is water miscible. The only place I use a grease is on cartridge revolvers that use smokeless powder.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2018, 05:13:46 PM »
Grease on the insides won't hurt anything. Petroleum based lubes turn into a hard to clean mess anywhere combustion occurs. Bore Butter gets runny when it gets hot.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2018, 09:19:31 AM »

I have shot many a blackpowder rounds with vaseline as a main lube. Well shit my pants and slap the dog, it is a petroleum product.

There are exceptions to every rule and Vaseline is one of them. It is a petroleum product but it's not as refined as lubes are. It seems the more petro products are refined the worse they are. Synthetic lubes and grease from what I hear work well too.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2018, 10:55:27 AM »
Hi scooby, IMO a correct BP lube isn't a myth. Bullet lubes on manufactured lead bullets are either designed and used for smokeless or BP. Water cleanup of BP shooting is much easier with a lube that is water miscible. A BP sub like Black Mz suggests that no lube is desired at all.

Closely held beliefs are a terrible thing to waste?

IMO using a water miscible lube for BP revolvers simplifies water cleanup.

Regards,
Richard

There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2018, 12:52:13 PM »
Hi scooby, IMO a correct BP lube isn't a myth. Bullet lubes on manufactured lead bullets are either designed and used for smokeless or BP. Water cleanup of BP shooting is much easier with a lube that is water miscible. A BP sub like Black Mz suggests that no lube is desired at all.

Closely held beliefs are a terrible thing to waste?

IMO using a water miscible lube for BP revolvers simplifies water cleanup.

Regards,
Richard

This is also true. Any lube that isn't water soluble is going to be harder to clean, especially any kind of grease.

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2018, 01:25:37 PM »
....IMO using a water miscible lube for BP revolvers simplifies water cleanup Regards, Richard
   I agree, but for storage I like my bear grease- beeswax, Ballistol for shorter term.

Offline Len

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2021, 11:27:57 AM »
I'd like to get some info about gun grease and oil used in the 1840 to 1860ies. I do not think there was much petroleum based stuff around at that time. I've been doing some tests with making my own none petroleum based oil from mutton lard, beeswax and vegetable oil, something that is fluid and can be used for preserving the guns from rust. I can get a fluid by using canola oil (also good for sealing a skillet). Treated the old Manhattan a week ago and shot it today. Surfaces looked good and felt smooth but not sticky. Cleaning the gun after shooting, with hot water and soft soap, was easy, So now, if the concoction will stay odourless for a longer period, I might start using this as my standard choice.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2021, 12:13:50 PM »
They used olive oil, flax oil, tallow, whale oil, rendered animal fat. Grease was made from oil and soap.

Offline Len

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2021, 12:49:27 PM »
They used olive oil, flax oil, tallow, whale oil, rendered animal fat. Grease was made from oil and soap.
Thanks Hawg. I take it, as so many old guns survived in good condition, the vegetable and animal oils/greases where quite good for this purpose.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2021, 04:49:28 PM »
Thanks Hawg. I take it, as so many old guns survived in good condition, the vegetable and animal oils/greases where quite good for this purpose.

Whale oil was the preferred lube after percussion revolvers came about but the others did work. Whale oil was used by watch makers for many, many years. Unfortunately you can't get whale oil anymore.

Offline Doc Holiday

• Too many hobbies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2021, 06:20:36 AM »
I have been using this on arbors.....and nipples.....
content://com.amazon.cloud9.FileProvider/images/screenshot/1623071925753-1566156327.jpg

Good or bad?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2021, 07:29:01 AM by Doc Holiday »
Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.”
― Thomas Jefferson
FREE MATT HOOVER.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2021, 06:57:22 AM »
I have been using this on arbors.....
content://com.amazon.cloud9.FileProvider/images/screenshot/1623071925753-1566156327.jpg

Good or bad?

Linky no worky.