Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Show us your flintlocks  (Read 41222 times)

Offline tljack

• View Profile
Re: Show us your flintlocks
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2019, 01:47:57 PM »

My gun buying days are over unless I sell something to get something else. Not likely to happen. with knowledge I didn't have when I was 13 I suspect the frizzen wasn't hardened. It sure was a pretty rifle tho. I traded it for a 63 Ford Falcon. That would have been in 1970.

You always can enjoy the guns you have! They are special.
I Love the Smell of Burning Black in the Morning

Flinters are awesome!

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2019, 08:18:01 PM »
True dat.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Dellbert

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2019, 09:08:57 PM »
Those are some fine looking flintlocks guys. I'm in the same boat as Hawg. Would haft to sale some, to buy one. From what I've been looking at, those flintlock rifles don't come cheap.

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2019, 10:18:29 PM »
Those are some fine looking flintlocks guys. I'm in the same boat as Hawg. Would haft to sale some, to buy one. From what I've been looking at, those flintlock rifles don't come cheap.

Not anything approaching an accurate depiction of an original rifle anyway. You can find Traditions Kentucky rifles and Lyman Great Plains and TC Hawken's etc. The Lyman is the closest to a real Hawken as you can get in a reasonably priced production rifle but there's only one known Hawken flinter known to exist and it's a full stock. That's not to say they didn't make any half stock flinters but the historical record for them isn't there.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2019, 04:49:00 AM »
Hi, I complain about the lock slowness of my  Pedersoli flintlocks. I have a Traditions Trapper flintlock handgun that has a locktime as fast as my percussion rifles. The only difference I see between the Pedersoli and Traditions is the lock size. The Pedersoli uses a 1/2" flint and frizzen, the Traditions a 5/8" flint and frizzen. I have spent hours and hours trying to get the Pedersoli locktimes decreased, but they still stay as slow as molasses. Increased vent size, tried different power bankings, but not much luck getting the Pedersoli's to discharge quickly. One Pedersoli has the vent hole high, the other Pedersoli rifle low vent. If it wasn't for the quick locktime of my Trapper I would think that flintlocks are all slow compared to percussion.

The reason I am interested in having a fast locktime is for optimal accuracy.

The Trapper:

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Hawg

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2019, 12:27:47 PM »
This is a custom competition gun but there's no reason they can't all be this fast.

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2019, 09:53:40 AM »
Hi Hawg, thanks for the video. My Trapper handgun is as fast. That's what I want for my Pedersoli rifles.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Dave Shooter

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2019, 06:57:00 PM »
My .50.

Sold by Remington.  I believe Hatfield made them for big green.  I'll have to get some natural light pics eventually; these don't do it justice.

BTW, I have that same model pistol in the video.  It is indeed fast.
Happily Retired USAF ossifer
Engineer?
Shooter of questionable skill...
Unabashed patriot!

Offline tljack

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2019, 12:32:58 PM »
A great book about Flintlocks that is worth adding to your library if you do not have it and you have the slightest interest in flintlock firearms is:

The Flintlock, It's origin, Development , and Use by Torsten Lenk and translated by G>A. Urquhart. Originally published in Sweden in 1939. The author retired as Director of the Royal Swedish Armory.

Not only does the book have great information, the photos of antique firearms is awesome!
I Love the Smell of Burning Black in the Morning

Flinters are awesome!

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2019, 05:22:29 AM »
A great book about Flintlocks that is worth adding to your library if you do not have it and you have the slightest interest in flintlock firearms is:

The Flintlock, It's origin, Development , and Use by Torsten Lenk and translated by G>A. Urquhart. Originally published in Sweden in 1939. The author retired as Director of the Royal Swedish Armory.

Not only does the book have great information, the photos of antique firearms is awesome!

Hi Dave, thanks for the suggestion. I see it can be purchased from Amazon and eBay. I ordered this one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Flintlock-Its-Origin-Development-and-Use-by-Lenk-Torsten-Good-Cond/254116771054?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Regards,
Richard

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2019, 08:22:08 AM »
A good friend gave me a copy of that book for a birthday (or was it Christmas?) present. Great book! I may post a couple more pictures soon.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2019, 10:07:34 AM »
This topic draws a pure interest from me. Flintlocks have never gained much attention on this forum, and rightfully so, given that it is a Colt based forum. However, my current interest in all historical firearms began with the flintlock, even before I got out of high school. I have spent quite some time on the study of them.
Scooby, only reason I haven't posted and rock lock pictures is because I don't own any (yet). And it's not a matter of not wanting one, either. So feel free, all of you who do own them, to post away with as many pix as you see fit, you'll get no complaints out of me!
Without the American flinter, there would be no "American" at all. I can still picture Charleton Heston standing at the NRA podium holding a flintlock long rifle in his hand. The significance and importance is undeniable. That is our roots and heritage, no matter where on the globe we originated from.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Len

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2019, 11:02:46 AM »
This thread is under "rifles and muskets//flintlocks"
I've got two original flinter pistols (late 18th or early 19th century) that I shoot frequently. Great fun.
One English .50" and one French .60". Stamps and gilt and inlays. Funny thing is that they are cheap. Got them at auctions. Price range for such items (unless very rare) is $200 to $500. Ridiculous.
If there's any interest, can post pics.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2019, 11:20:52 AM »

If there's any interest, can post pics.

Aye!
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2019, 12:24:16 PM »
My .50.

Sold by Remington.  I believe Hatfield made them for big green.  I'll have to get some natural light pics eventually; these don't do it justice.

BTW, I have that same model pistol in the video.  It is indeed fast.
I remember when Remington brought those rifles out. Always kinda wanted one but I think they were around $1800 at the time.