Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Anyone else here a "Western nut"?  (Read 4634 times)

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
Anyone else here a "Western nut"?
« on: March 18, 2019, 10:44:35 AM »
Ever since I was old enough to watch TV, I've been enthralled by Westerns. Of course, when they became passe in the mid-seventies (which put a lot of Western actors out of work or scrambling to re-invent themselves) most of the general public moved on to other things and genres, until a minor box office flick would come along and re-ignite the flame, like Josey Wales, Young Guns, Django Unchained (barf!) or the True Grit remake...but many of those of us who got into BP early and stuck with it never let the flame go out.
I'm really grateful for cable channels like INSP which pretty much run the old serials all week, such as Gunsmoke, The Rifleman, Bonanza, The Virginian, Wanted: Dead or Alive, and many others and on the weekends run the great old western movies. I rarely miss my Gunsmoke reruns every night regardless of how many times I've seen them, and I know several years ago when they ran "Bonanza; the Lost Episodes" I watched every single one of them through until the cycle started over again (over 300 episodes).
In short, I never 'outgrew' the western and I'm really sorry that an entire era ended. It doubtless created many, many loyal fans among the Baby Boomer generation and no doubt is a major factor in Americans supporting the NRA, 2nd Amendment and gun owner's rights when other countries were busy cutting up their relics and beating legal, legitimate gun owners into submission via the long arm of the law.
Any other members here a big fan of the Westerns from the Golden Age, and which ones? If so, let's have a discussion!
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone else here a "Western nut"?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2019, 12:07:58 PM »
Yes Sir! I grew up on Gunsmoke, Bonanza, The Rifleman, The Virginian, all of them. We never missed an episode. Although, we watched some of them in re-runs because I was too young when they were new shows (I'm 55). We even watched the more comedic shows like F-Troop. My parents even took me to the movies once in a while (when they could afford to) and I can remember seeing. "Rooster Cogburn" in the theater. That was a treat!

But you're right, watching these shows and movies shaped us. Just like the crap the kids are watching now is shaping them.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2019, 12:40:56 PM »
Somewhere, someone on the 'net (can't remember the source anymore) has cooked up a 'conspiracy theory' that anti's in Hollywood force-fed us kids of the Sixties Westerns in order to evoke an "inverse reaction" and make us hate guns.
News flash: if true, it didn't work. *6'

If nothing else, it fueled the desire to own those classic guns of history, and thank goodness for foreign makers like Pietta, Uberti, Pedersoli and others who have made owning a replica of your favorite a reality without being a wealthy playboy.

For one thing, I believe for many of us it demonstrated a clear black-and-white picture of how a "good guy" (white hat) and "bad guy" (black hat) behaved. Almost a code of chivalry, if you will. Today's TV and movie viewing really muddies the waters. Maybe that's part of the reason so many kids these days don't seem to have a moral code?

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2019, 01:39:00 PM »
I like almost all the old westerns from the 60's and quite a few from the 50's. Love the spaghetti westerns. I've liked Clint Eastwood ever since his Rawhide days. I do like the remake of True Grit better than the original. Mainly because it follows the book better. I've probably read every western that's ever been in print from the 40's up til about 10 years ago. I don't read much anymore but when I do I usually look for westerns first.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Len

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2019, 01:45:38 PM »
From this side of the Atlantic, I vividly remember how I was given the equivalent of 25 cents every Sunday (it covered the ticket and some sweets), so that I could join my friends going to the matiné. Hopalong, Wayne, Last Mohican, Shane and I somehow remember Montgomery Clift as a western hero (don't know why). We didn't get TV until the mid 50ieths, but at least we had Bonanza for starters. The Bonanza guys where so popular, that they where ferried over to Scandinavia and made tours (at least Landon and Parnell were frequent visitors). Yes, life seemed simple then, good bad black white. And you didn't further hit a guy that went down. Chivalry?

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2019, 02:58:32 PM »
Somewhere, someone on the 'net (can't remember the source anymore) has cooked up a 'conspiracy theory' that anti's in Hollywood force-fed us kids of the Sixties Westerns in order to evoke an "inverse reaction" and make us hate guns.
News flash: if true, it didn't work. *6'

If nothing else, it fueled the desire to own those classic guns of history, and thank goodness for foreign makers like Pietta, Uberti, Pedersoli and others who have made owning a replica of your favorite a reality without being a wealthy playboy.

For one thing, I believe for many of us it demonstrated a clear black-and-white picture of how a "good guy" (white hat) and "bad guy" (black hat) behaved. Almost a code of chivalry, if you will. Today's TV and movie viewing really muddies the waters. Maybe that's part of the reason so many kids these days don't seem to have a moral code?

If'n that really was the case, it TOTALLY didn't work! We played "Cowboys and Indians" (Can I say that out loud anymore?) from dawn to dusk and a little after. I had Fanner 50's, a couple of Hubley SAA clones that were actually my Mom's from her childhood in the 50's, I had the Winchester rifle that took cartridges and I also had another Winchester "Mare's Leg" that had the big loop lever and a little gizmo on it that fired it every time you cranked that lever. Then My Mom got me a Daisy rifle, that looked just like a Red Rider but didn't shoot anything. It just made noise with a little spinning wheel gadget that sounded like a ricochet. I had the best childhood ever, all because of my love for the western stuff.

The stuff kids are fed now is garbage and has polluted their minds. Political correctness be damned.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2019, 05:58:19 PM »
I must admit that I'm a sucker for a good western as well. I know I'm not alone.....both here and outside the US, there are millions of us.

If you ever get an hour to kill......check out "Sad Hill" on Netflix. it's all about finding, then restoring the cemetery from "The good, The Bad and the Ugly." These people spent months getting it close to the original set, then set up and watched the entire movie there. That's a little more die hard than I am....but it's a great show breaking down all the weird stuff that happened during the making of the movie. One of the best parts is the explanation on how they accidentally blew up the bridge .... I laughed my rear off. That movie is truly one of the best westerns ever done. Too bad Clint developed an allergy to horses which prevented him from doing many westerns later in life.

Thank God there are hundreds more of them out there.
"a dios rogando y con el mazo dando...y un buen cigarro"
-Mick

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2019, 08:35:37 PM »

If you ever get an hour to kill......check out "Sad Hill" on Netflix.

I know what I'm doing tonight.........
-Abe Lincoln

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2019, 08:45:17 PM »
Any other members here a big fan of the Westerns from the Golden Age, and which ones? If so, let's have a discussion!

If it's any indication....  the default ringtone on my phone is the Bonanza Theme song.   
Other than Bonanza,  Rawhide, Wagon Train, and the Rifleman are some of my favorite TV Westerns.     When it comes to movies you can't beat John Wayne or Jimmy Stuart.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2019, 11:44:24 AM »
If it's any indication....  the default ringtone on my phone is the Bonanza Theme song.   

Which one? The original?

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2019, 01:16:45 PM »
Yes, the original instrumental version by Jay Livingston.   

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2019, 02:27:55 PM »
On Miguel Loco's recommendation, I watched Sad Hill on Netflix last night. If you haven't seen it, you should watch it.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2019, 06:59:41 PM »
On Miguel Loco's recommendation, I watched Sad Hill on Netflix last night. If you haven't seen it, you should watch it.

Glad you enjoyed it! Hope you enjoyed the signal to "blow the bridge"...... and Clint asking the director where he was going to be when it happened....... 

Those guys that did that are what you'd call the real deal western fans.
"a dios rogando y con el mazo dando...y un buen cigarro"
-Mick

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2019, 08:20:01 PM »

Glad you enjoyed it! Hope you enjoyed the signal to "blow the bridge"...... and Clint asking the director where he was going to be when it happened....... 

Those guys that did that are what you'd call the real deal western fans.

Yes! That was pretty hilarious actually. The Army guy waves the handkerchief and BOOM! Apparently Sergio was not amused! And Clint didn't want to be anywhere near it when it blew!

You're right though, those people put the "fan" in fanatic for sure. But I applaud they're work. I'd like to see it someday.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline valforgettaboutit

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2019, 10:26:03 AM »
I love westerns. I grew up on watching spaghetti westerns for the most part; I still need to watch the John Ford classics, and a lot of the more obscure ones. Has anyone here viewed any of the original django westerns on Amazon? I'm definitely going to give Sad Hill a watch.