Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Miroku/Winchester 66  (Read 9580 times)

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
Miroku/Winchester 66
« on: April 29, 2019, 12:27:23 PM »
I'm on my way to my LGS to pick up my Miroku/Winchester 66. I can't even wait!

I just wanted to pique everyone's interest. Pictures to follow in a couple hours when I return.

Sorry, I'm such a tease............... (7&
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Miroku/Winchester 66
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2019, 04:25:47 PM »
As promised, here it is! This really is a beautiful rifle. I'm very excited to have it.

It's a "Short Rifle" in Winchester nomenclature. It has a 20" round barrel and it's chambered in 44-40. I believe the crescent butt plate has something to do with the rifle designation. I think the carbines have the flat butt and saddle ring. I could be wrong.

The brass has a satin sheen to it. And it's got a bit of a reddish hue, not apparent in the pictures. I'm hoping the brass will develop a nice patina to it over time. I have no intention of polishing it.

And here's the money shot. That ever important name!

It might seem silly to spend the extra money for the Winchester name, but in the scheme of things, they cost about the same as an Uberti. Not that there's anything wrong with Uberti, quite the contrary. Uberti makes a fine Winchester copy. A lot of the CAS guys won't use anything but an Uberti. For me, I just wanted to be able to say, "I have a Winchester". Even though it too, is just a Japanese copy. But it still says Winchester.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2019, 05:13:57 PM »
Drop dead gorgeous!
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2019, 05:26:34 PM »
Drop dead gorgeous!

Thanks Capt!

I think tonight is going to be just like when I was a kid. When I got my first Daisy BB gun, it slept right next to me in the bed. I think this Winchester is gonna be warm tonight..........
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2019, 06:09:10 PM »
One thing for sure.....it'll never talk back! Great lookin' rifle!
"a dios rogando y con el mazo dando...y un buen cigarro"
-Mick

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2019, 08:40:35 AM »
Thanks Fellas!

Scooby, I had the opportunity to buy either this rifle or an Uberti in .38/.357 caliber. I chose the Winchester for two reasons. One, because it is a Winchester. And you're correct, the fit and finish is just a little better than the Uberti guns. At least to my eye. Secondly, the chambering in 44-40. I wanted the rifle to be in an original caliber. So 44-40 was it for me.

Previously I've only reloaded shotshells and .45 Colt in BP. So I had to outfit myself with everything needed for 44-40. Everything has been acquired and is enroute to me now.

I may have to find a pair of pistols in the same caliber to match it.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2019, 08:56:51 AM »

Good luck in that endeavor! Very few new repro revolvers are chambered in .44-40. I've been looking too.

FWIW, these rifles and carbines were NOT originally chambered in .44-40, but rather in .44 Henry, a rimfire cartridge (tip of the hat to Scooby for that info) although the '66 was in production until 1892 and I believe some of the later models had the option of a .44-40 chambering (somebody correct me if I'm wrong here).
I hope your Winny was warm and cozy last night... ;)
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2019, 11:11:43 AM »

Good luck in that endeavor! Very few new repro revolvers are chambered in .44-40. I've been looking too.

FWIW, these rifles and carbines were NOT originally chambered in .44-40, but rather in .44 Henry, a rimfire cartridge (tip of the hat to Scooby for that info) although the '66 was in production until 1892 and I believe some of the later models had the option of a .44-40 chambering (somebody correct me if I'm wrong here).
I hope your Winny was warm and cozy last night... ;)

That is a beautiful rifle. They were chambered in 44-40 towards the end of production. Uberti still makes 44-40 revolvers, check Taylors or Cimarron. As for the difference between rifles and carbines, Rifles have a crescent butt, more drop in the stock, the mag tube is dovetailed and they have a nose cap secured with screws. The difference between a rifle and a short rifle is barrel length.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline LonesomePigeon

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2019, 11:56:04 AM »
That is a super nice rifle. In addition to what Hawg says, I think a carbine would also have a barrel band. 

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2019, 12:13:46 PM »
Congratulations Shotgun.  You've really got something there.  Nice pictures, too.  Well done.
"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2019, 01:02:58 PM »
That is a super nice rifle. In addition to what Hawg says, I think a carbine would also have a barrel band.

They do but having a dovetailed mag tube and a nose cap precludes the use of a barrel band.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2019, 02:48:23 PM »
Thanks Fellas, for the Kindly words and helpful explanations.

I should have all my supplies by Friday, so I can load up some rounds. I'm really hoping to burn some powder in it this weekend. If that happens, a shooting report will be forthcoming.

Also, I will do a pictorial on how I load the cartridges for it. They will be real BP and lead bullets.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2019, 03:31:48 PM »
I load 44 WCF on my turret press but once in awhile I get out my old Winchester loading tool and put some cartridges together the old fashioned way.       http://blackpowdersmoke.com/colt/index.php?topic=1540.0

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2019, 08:23:58 PM »
Gentlemen, I have not located a reference were the 1866 was chambered in 44-40. Was hoping one of you could direct me.  Thanks.

Here's a quick one Scooby. I know it's Wikipedia but it does say that later 66's were chambered for 44WCF

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winchester_rifle
-Abe Lincoln

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2019, 08:29:19 PM »
Gentlemen, I have not located a reference were the 1866 was chambered in 44-40. Was hoping one of you could direct me.  Thanks.

Here's a quick one Scooby. I know it's Wikipedia but it does say that later 66's were chambered for 44WCF

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winchester_rifle

.....but, I also see every other reference stating that no 66 was ever FACTORY chambered for the 44-40. The Only centerfire round chambered in the 66 was a modified 44 Henry round. 44-40 came out with the 73. The carrier in the 66 was too short to accommodate the 44 WCF round.
-Abe Lincoln