Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Frankengun L&R-ish  (Read 3594 times)

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
Frankengun L&R-ish
« on: May 14, 2020, 01:23:26 PM »
So most of you have seen my WTB ad, looking for a Pietta Navy frame. Well this is what it's for. I'm trying to build a L&R from parts. I didn't want to buy complete guns and take them apart, so I went on a quest for parts.

I had posted my recent Dance project on my Facebook page. And a fella I know in Tennessee saw it, and commented that he could have saved me time by selling me the G&G barrel he had. He contacted me privately, and offered me a 2015 vintage, Pietta G&G barrel assemnbly, complete with loading lever and two cylinders. All .36 caliber and all for $50! Needless to say, I jumped on that deal! When they arrived, I was very surprised to find an as new barrel and one brand new cylinder. The other one was very lightly used.

So my quest continued with the ad placed here and other places. A guy on another board contacted me about the 61 Navy he had. It was a complete gun, minus the barrel and cylinder. Perfect for this project. And all for $80! Score again!  The parts showed up today, so I fit them all together and completed the gun.

The barrel is stamped 2015 and the frame is dated AZ (1990), so a small amount of fitting was required. The arbor was actually too long and I had to take a little off to get the cylinder clearance right. The arbor was also a bit fat for the hole in the barrel, so some emory paper was needed there to get a perfect fit. The wedge also required fitting as it was a bit too wide to seat in fully. But now, it all fits together like a Swiss watch and functions as it should.

I know the frame is incorrect for an L&R. But I had to use what was available. No one seems willing to give up a Navy frame, or there just aren't any available. So for now, it will just have to be a Frankengun, until I can scrounge up the correct frame.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Fingers McGee

• Branson State Match, 2009
    • View Profile
    • Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Re: Frankengun L&R-ishn
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2020, 01:58:37 PM »
Outstanding.  Now let us know how it shoots.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts; SASS 28564-L-TG, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline Miguel Loco

• View Profile
Re: Frankengun L&R-ish
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2020, 03:30:22 PM »
That came out great Dave!
"a dios rogando y con el mazo dando...y un buen cigarro"
-Mick

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2020, 06:04:46 PM »
Why scrounge anything? It's unique and it looks fantastic!
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2020, 08:26:03 AM »
You are making good use of your quarantine "down-time". Nice work!

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2020, 12:55:11 PM »
Thanks Fellas.

I spent considerable time with it yesterday, getting it to run. It came with a broken bolt spring and was very hard to cock. So I took it all apart, put a new spring in, and it still wouldn't drop the bolt on half cock. Started looking at things closely, and discovered the problem, the bolt leg wasn't popping over the cam on the hammer.

I reshaped the leg and got it to work now, but it still isn't right. When the hammer falls, it's hanging up at the end of it's travel. So the bolt leg and cam are going to need a little more massaging, because that's where everything is hanging up, and causing the serious drag.

Will report back here when all is well.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline sourdough

• 1851 Navy Parts Changer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2020, 05:11:47 AM »
Nice work, Dave!

Here is mine with the wood you sold to me awhile back.

We have met the enemy, and they is us. Pogo

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2020, 07:26:55 PM »
Thanks Fellas.

Scooby, I'm not big on patience.  (7+" (7+" (7+" But you are correct, the right one will show up when I least expect it.

Jim, that gun still looks awesome. Glad you ended up with that wood. It suits that gun perfectly!
-Abe Lincoln

Offline jaxenro

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2020, 06:16:59 AM »
What is the difference between a 1851 and 1861 frame. I thought it was mainly barrel and loading lever that were different
Check out my website www.percussionrevolvers.com

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2020, 07:29:18 AM »
That was my impression also. Maybe grip frame shape?

Offline jaxenro

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2020, 07:35:46 AM »
Think the Italians even bother with different navy grips?

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2020, 11:07:51 AM »
What is the difference between a 1851 and 1861 frame. I thought it was mainly barrel and loading lever that were different

I believe the frames are exactly the same. This frame came from a gun with the 61 Navy style barrel, so I've just been calling it a 61. Also, this frame had the extra screws and cutouts for a stock. like an 1860 Army.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think a lot of the original 61's had them too, just like their Army big brothers.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline sourdough

• 1851 Navy Parts Changer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2020, 05:14:51 PM »
Dave,

The common Uberti 1861 Navy was marketed with a 4-screw frame CFS. It had the bottom backstrap recess for the yoke attachment. The Pietta 1861 Navy 4-screw frame revolver was CFS but the back strap did/does not have the backstrap recess. Go figure, as every Pietta Navy I have encountered has had the recess, no matter if it is a 3-screw revolver. The only Pietta back straps I have encountered without the recess are my Pietta Dance .36 and a backstrap I bought 6 years ago for my Pietta G&G from VTI.

We have met the enemy, and they is us. Pogo

Offline Dellbert

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2020, 08:27:08 PM »
Looking good Dave. L@.

Offline jaxenro

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2020, 05:58:44 AM »
According to Wiki, an always unimpeachable source, about 100 were 4 screw frames. Probably more 1851’s than 1861’s were 4 screw