Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Dance Wannabe #2  (Read 14433 times)

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, it makes people wonder what you're up to.
    • View Profile
Re: Dance Wannabe #2
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2020, 01:14:53 PM »
Very nice! It appears that fitting the new bolt was a bit tedious. Good job!

Regards,

Jim

Thanks. It was certainly worth the effort.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2020, 07:03:00 PM »
Excellent work Marshal. I know this one has been giving you fits. Nice to see it coming together.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2020, 07:42:47 PM »
Thank you, Dave. Some of them aren't as easy as others but those make things interesting.

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2020, 05:59:21 PM »
Finally I got to get out and do something on Wannabe #2. I decided the next thing to attack is the barrel. I started by making a new front sight.

Then I cut the barrel to 6", just like one of the originals.

Saw, file, sand, bevel the bore. I used one of the dovetail guiides to get a flat cut.

If you don't have one of these hand chucks, get one. It's great for places where you don't want to take too much off at once.

My intention was to make the barrel round, but the flat top made it easy to locate the center for the sight.

The next thing to do was to turn the barrel round. I took Dave's arbor design to chuck it up in the drill press.

First I filed the tops of the corners to get a head start on the round section.

I got going with a file first, then sandpaper. I did take it out occasionally and file some to true the round part where it wasn't to my liking. Then it would go back into the drill press and get more sanding. Eventually I got it round.

The bottom end of the arbor got put into a piece of UHMW polyurethane (pretty much like the stuff they put in my hip the other day). I lubed the bearing surface with break free so it wouldn't melt the UHMW.

A little bluing and there it was. The sight still needs to be soldered in but there are some markings to defarb first. I like this 6" barrel.

I guess the next stage will be to remove the recoil shields. I would be tempted to leave it as a Leech & Rigdon but it's a .44 so that's not going to happen. Dance it will be, then.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2020, 09:34:52 PM by Marshal Will »

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2020, 07:16:16 PM »
Nice progress!  (7&
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2020, 07:22:24 PM »
Thanks, Captain. After a few weeks of not working on it, it was nice to accomplish something.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2020, 07:28:13 PM »
Thanks, Captain. After a few weeks of not working on it, it was nice to accomplish something.

I just love watching these projects coming together!  L@.

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2020, 09:29:50 PM »

I just love watching these projects coming together!  L@.
So do I. It doesn't have to be my own, either. It's fun to learn how others approach them.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2020, 09:18:22 AM »
BRAVO Marshal!!!! That looks fantastic!

I love how you took my idea and ran with it. Refined and improved it. Very cool!

Hopefully we can inspire others to try some of this stuff.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2020, 10:18:23 AM »
What I like is that fact that you fellers have done your research and homework and are building your replicas to be more historically accurate than the replica makers!

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2020, 10:31:50 AM »
What I like is that fact that you fellers have done your research and homework and are building your replicas to be more historically accurate than the replica makers!

I for one don't understand why the manufacturers didn't do it right. It would have been very easy to do. And I don't buy the argument that they were worried about them being mistaken for originals. Not a valid argument.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2020, 10:37:10 AM »

I for one don't understand why the manufacturers didn't do it right. It would have been very easy to do. And I don't buy the argument that they were worried about them being mistaken for originals. Not a valid argument.
Correct, Dave. They have control of their own stampings, markings and date codes.

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2020, 01:31:03 PM »
Thank you Dave, Capt.

Working on these things is a whole lot of fun. It is too bad that the manufacturers don't just make a really accurate replica. But then I wouldn't have any reason to make them. I also would like to see more people start making their own. Dave and I aren't doing these things with specialized machinery. Our technology is pretty much what was available in the 1800's. Mine will be as accurate as I can get it except for the rebated cylinder. That I don't have a good fix for. To make one in .36 would certainly be more accurate in that regard. For the sake of accuracy, I suppose I'll have to do one of those, as well. Ah, another excuse... :-H

Offline sourdough

• 1851 Navy Parts Changer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 02, 2020, 03:45:40 PM »
Mine will be as accurate as I can get it except for the rebated cylinder. That I don't have a good fix for.

That is because the original Dance .44 was produced on a larger frame than the Navy sized frame that their .36 revolvers were based upon. Pietta tried to go around that obstacle using a lowered Navy frame water table (no cut for the rebated cylinder) and a larger diameter non-rebated cylinder. Not historical at all. Purely Pietta mindset to stay within their marketer bean counter parameters. Pietta had to also create a new bolt for their Dance .44 as the Pietta Navy .36 bolt won't work with the larger cylinder/hammer geometry, even with the CNC products these days.

Pietta Dance .44 cylinder and Pietta Navy .36 cylinder.

Dr. Jim L. Davis (RPRCA) knew a boatload of information about both the Pietta and Uberti Dance revolvers. I have gathered as much information from him as I could from his previous threads/posts on other forums (Dr. Davis passed in September 2019). He explains why Pietta is further forbidden to produce a Dance .36 revolver due to a contractual dispute between Pietta and Tony Gajewski stemming from the production of Pietta Dance Firearms Company Angleton Texas. 36 revolvers, and explains how Pietta went about producing Dance .44 revolvers until recently (pandemic times).

https://blackpowdersmoke.com/revolvers/index.php/topic,560.0.html

To make one in .36 would certainly be more accurate in that regard. For the sake of accuracy, I suppose I'll have to do one of those, as well. Ah, another excuse... :-H

Just go for it! Keep up the good work!

Regards,

Jim
We have met the enemy, and they is us. Pogo

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 02, 2020, 09:04:09 PM »
To make one in .36 would certainly be more accurate in that regard. For the sake of accuracy, I suppose I'll have to do one of those, as well. Ah, another excuse... :-H

Just go for it! Keep up the good work!

Regards,

Jim
Thanks, it'll be another fun one. I do have to finish the one on the bench first, though.