Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Soy wax pill  (Read 5691 times)

Offline Lyle

• 2B1ask1
    • View Profile
Soy wax pill
« on: February 10, 2021, 03:24:14 PM »
I did my first test pour and cut 12 pills. Pure soy wax. I used a 357 case as the punch. I cut the rim off so I can punch out the pills. The appearance is good, round, stable, slick and dry. I just did a full size pour and I am waiting for it to cool.

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
Re: Soy wax pill
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2021, 05:43:25 PM »
Did you pour the wax into a pan of water? That is how I make a thin, uniform sheet of lube. I heat up the lube in a pan of water; after the lube melts, everything is allowed to cool.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2021, 06:42:30 PM »
This is all really interesting as I've never heard of soy wax or used it. I have used Emmert's lube tho.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Lyle

• 2B1ask1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2021, 06:51:07 PM »
I heated the wax in a double boiler. I then poured it into a pie pan. When it cooled I removed it from the pie pan. It broke into several large pieces. I tried to cut one of the smaller pieces and it was to warm. I am waiting for it to cool. Probably will work on it tomorrow.

Offline Lyle

• 2B1ask1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2021, 07:03:47 PM »
This is all really interesting as I've never heard of soy wax or used it. I have used Emmert's lube tho.

I posted a note with pictures using pure soy wax pieces over the powder and under the ball. I am impressed with the functionality of the soy wax.

Offline Lyle

• 2B1ask1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2021, 03:43:11 PM »
On the first pour I melted about 8oz of the soy wax. I poured it into a pie pan, when cooled I removed it from the pan. So far I have cut about 1/2 of the cake from the first pour. Simple math would imply that this is 4oz of wax. It is not. The cake does crumble, so the pills are not 4oz of wax. The bag is a snack size bag. I have not counted the number of pills in it. The wax was $10 a pound.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2021, 10:05:58 AM »
I'm definitely going to get some and give it try.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2021, 10:15:51 AM »
Maybe add some olive oil or Crisco to it to make it less crumbly. Why pay 10.00 for that when you can get beeswax cheaper?
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Lyle

• 2B1ask1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2021, 10:36:31 AM »
My goal was to find something that will work without mixing. Beeswax is not a lubricant. Soy wax is a lubricant. Locally beeswax is $15 per pound.

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2021, 10:56:23 AM »
My goal was to find something that will work without mixing. Beeswax is not a lubricant. Soy wax is a lubricant. Locally beeswax is $15 per pound.

Half that on ebay with free shipping.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2021, 09:29:17 AM »
My goal was to find something that will work without mixing. Beeswax is not a lubricant.
Not to be argumentative, but beeswax IS a lubricant. I use it all the time in bullet lubes, patch lube, etc. I know your goal was to find something you didn't have to mix. I also use beeswax on sticky zippers and keep a chunk on the bench to rub wood screws over so they drive in easier.

Offline Len

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2021, 09:40:53 AM »
We had a thread over on the Remi Forum some years ago "1001 ways to use beeswax", but I do think we missed the zippers

Offline Lyle

• 2B1ask1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2021, 07:33:56 PM »
I went shooting today to try the soy wax pill. The load was 24g of Pyrodex P, the wax pill over the powder then a .375 round ball on top. I fired 48 rounds. The action was smooth and the cylinder was smooth and no binding. Before going to the desert I detailed stripped the pistol, oiled all the internal parts with ballistol. The arbor was lubed with soy wax. I’m not sure what is an acceptable amount of fowling in the barrel but I have seen more junk in the barrel of my Makarov when shooting Russian ammo. I like the wax pill better than using a lubed wad.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2021, 08:53:22 AM »
That looks pretty damn clean Lyle. And you have a nice "lube star" on the muzzle. I'd say you have a winner!
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Len

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2021, 09:08:55 AM »
Lyle, with 48 rounds thru that barrel and next to none fouling, that sure is a winner. Gotta try it.