Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: SCHUETZEN BLACK POWDER  (Read 3635 times)

Offline Lyle

• 2B1ask1
    • View Profile
SCHUETZEN BLACK POWDER
« on: March 02, 2021, 04:19:26 PM »
Has anyone used this powder?  I don’t know anything about it. I found a local dealer who sells this but he requires a scheduled appointment to buy it.

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
Re: SCHUETZEN BLACK POWDER
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2021, 05:33:16 PM »
I have never used it, but have heard it is quite good. Maybe someone else will chime in.

Offline Len

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2021, 07:48:16 AM »
It's a Swiss type BP. I shoot Swiss and like it. Swiss charcoal is from alder, Schuetzen charcoal is from a mixture of wood. Why not try it and then report back.

Offline Lyle

• 2B1ask1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2021, 07:59:03 AM »
I won’t be able to get an appointment until late next week, maybe not then, depending on the owner’s availability.  I didn’t want to buy several pounds without having some idea of the quality of the powder.

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2021, 11:03:51 AM »
Len, it seems I remember Schuetzen was re-branded Wano. Or am I thinking of something else?

Offline Len

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2021, 06:40:42 AM »
It is manufactured by the German WANO company
https://schuetzenpowder.com/schuetzen-black-powder-2/

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2021, 09:53:05 AM »
Hi Lyle, it's a BP equivalent to Goex. Graf's BP is sometimes re-branded Scjhuetzen.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Len

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2021, 11:06:32 AM »
I'm sticking my neck out here, but I'm not all together sure that Schuetzen and Goex are equivalent. Goex is classified as 1.1 , Schuetzen and Swiss are 1.0 , to be compared to Tripple7 which is 1.3  .
Schuetzen and Swiss therefore are "explosives", Tripple7 is "propellant", what the heck is Goex? Something in between ???

Offline Lyle

• 2B1ask1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2021, 12:02:39 PM »
I'm sticking my neck out here, but I'm not all together sure that Schuetzen and Goex are equivalent. Goex is classified as 1.1 , Schuetzen and Swiss are 1.0 , to be compared to Tripple7 which is 1.3  .
Schuetzen and Swiss therefore are "explosives", Tripple7 is "propellant", what the heck is Goex? Something in between ???

What do the numbers 1.1, 1.0 and 1.3 refer to? Where did you find these numbers?

Offline Len

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2021, 12:48:39 PM »
Some kind of international classification of hazardous material. Class 1.0 cannot be transported freely and some counties' fire regulations demands a license for handling it (not the police, but the council). 1.3 is regarded as safer and not regulated for transport or handling, otherwize than it is graded a fire hazard. Gun shops are adverse to the 1.0s as it will tie them down under restrictions, where as they have no problem supplying 1.3  I do not know what 1.1 comports transport- or handlingwize.
You might get some better answers from the gun shop that you spoke of (why do you have to book a time for your visit?)

Offline Lyle

• 2B1ask1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2021, 01:19:00 PM »

You might get some better answers from the gun shop that you spoke of (why do you have to book a time for your visit?)
I was told that only the owner has a key. I assume that the key is for the area where the BP is stored. I have not done any business with them. I have been calling gun shops looking for BP. Right now I am using Pyrodex P as that is what is available.

Offline Lyle

• 2B1ask1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2021, 01:52:18 PM »
Here is what I found on the internet.

Class 1 dangerous goods are explosive substances and articles. There are 6 sub-divisions:

Division 1.1: Substances and articles which have a mass explosion hazard
Division 1.2: Substances and articles which have a projection hazard but not a mass explosion hazard
Division 1.3: Substances and articles which have a fire hazard and either a minor blast hazard or a minor projection hazard or both
Division 1.4: Substances and articles which present no significant hazard; only a small hazard in the event of ignition or initiation during transport with any effects largely confined to the package

I only copied 1-4 as that appears to apply to black powder and smokeless powder.

The SDS for Goex and Schuetzen, as listed on their respective web sites, list them as 1.1 and Tripple 7 as listed on their website lists 1.3 or 1.4.

I have not looked at a SDS for a long time. I had forgotten about the numbering system.

Offline Len

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2021, 02:48:06 PM »
I think  Pyrodex is 1.3 and therefore easily available.

Offline Lyle

• 2B1ask1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2021, 09:56:10 AM »
The SDS listed on the pyrodex site is 1.3.

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2021, 06:11:22 PM »
Lyle, I got a notice that Buffalo Arms had black powder in stock. Get a couple of friends together and buy a larger quantity. That way you can split the cost of HazMat, keeping the cost down. You can also mix granulation. It will be delivered right to your door.