Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: The Beals revolver  (Read 2956 times)

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
Re: The Beals revolver
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2021, 08:19:26 AM »
Yours is not a Beals any more than mine are, Richard. Sorry.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2021, 08:34:50 AM »
Hi Kirk, the only two things Euroarms got right with it being a Beals are no barrel threads showing and the short knuckle busing grip. My .44 Beals is also a stainless steel revolver.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2021, 08:51:48 AM »
After the Beals came the Elliot model of 1861 or the transitional model as some call it. Elliots patent involved slotting the top the loading lever allowing the cylinder pin to be removed without dropping the lever. That was a mistake as being jostled around while carrying, especially on horseback the pin worked it's way out. There were several changes made between the 1861 and 1863 new model. Along with slotting the loading lever the safety notches were added, the hammer spur was lowered, the sail was lengthened and the loading lever was made bigger and more robust. There were a couple of different sail designs during this time. There were some made with only one wing on the cylinder pin. There were a couple of attempts at different ways to keep the cylinder pin from coming out. One was putting a screw in the barrel in front of it. By 1863 the major changes had been made but the 63 model still underwent improvements. One of the main ones was replacing the dovetailed cone front sight with the threaded pinched sight we all know. This came at the request of officers in the field complaining that the cone sights fell out of the dovetails.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2021, 10:05:53 AM »
Thanks, Hawg!

Offline Len

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2021, 11:00:31 AM »
Good short story of the Beals to Remi saga. Thanks Hawg

Offline Racing

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2021, 06:01:15 PM »

As some of you know she´s been around for a while by now and is actually up for a liner in the near future.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2021, 07:30:06 PM »
 :eek:

That is amazing! Tell me more...

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2021, 07:49:49 PM »
You never cease to amaze Racing.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Racing

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2021, 03:57:53 AM »

She´s a Navy serial 897. Iow a real early gun.

Long story short, i was hellbent for a Beals and i wanted a Beals that´d look like new, work like new and shoot like new. Sry to say the Beals guns i ran into were either like this, run into the ground, or real nice guns - out of my price range.

The one i found, in Holland, was in a really bad state. About relic condition really, pitted to the letter all over. To the point where there was blobs of steel missing from the barrel and frame both. Spent hrs at end welding the thing up with the TIG welder and blending that crap in. Then 4,3 zillion hrs later i was at a point where the gun was up reliably and running again, just sans any rifling at all really - it had been worn down. Completely and to the letter.

As such, invested a little time setting the trigger setup up to be completely adjustable, she got on the backburner. Really a competion grade trigger though TBH.

Worth noting is that these Beals guns to not share ONE yota within with the later guns. ALL of it is "Beals only".

As you know i hot tank blue my guns "the old way" (salts only) and have refrained from sending this unit through the tank as she was up for a liner. Well. Found one and plan to drill the barrel out to 13,5mm and install it first chance i get. Then she needs to have smaller things adressed before it´s hot tank time, and hopefully a Beals in as new condition comes out the other end.

These original Navys are like 7/8 size of the Army guns making them rather neat guns to work and shoot. I often bring Navys to the range for the leddies around to use, as wimmins most often have smaller hands than we do and.. they enjoy the Navy guns even more..

What can be said for these Navys is that in contrast to the Colts, Whitneys and what not is that the chambers are way more roomy. Shoving an easy 30 grains of powder beneath a boolit is nothing.
Hence, the shooting experience in itself is very very similar to an Army style revolver.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2021, 07:24:59 AM »
I have to tell you, this just impresses the hell out of me! :toast:

Offline Desperate Lee

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2021, 07:54:49 PM »
I have 2 ASP Remington revolvers which i call my Beals models. No barrel threads and small grips that beat the hell out of my middle finger if i load them up stout. One is a 1980 kit gun and the other is a 1977 factory gun. The cylinder bores on both guns pin to .499 go and .450 wants to go but no go. Both guns have saftey notches between cylinder nipples. I love them both but compared to my SS Pietta NMA they are really small or it is overly huge, and of course all are 44 cal.
DL
« Last Edit: October 05, 2021, 08:08:11 PM by Desperate Lee »
The devil saw me on my knees and thought he had won, till I said AMEN.

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2021, 09:08:05 PM »
Other than the frame on the top one neither one is anywhere near a Beals. The smallness is because the ASP's were the same size as the originals.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.