Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Range safety  (Read 3739 times)

Offline Dellbert

• View Profile
Re: Range safety
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2021, 09:11:34 PM »
Yah! Like the subject. how about know your target and what's behind it.

Offline Dellbert

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2021, 09:31:01 PM »
Yah! Like the subject. how about know your target and what's behind it.

Offline Len

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2021, 02:15:55 PM »
Just curious about how you guys, who shoot in your back yard, organize things.
What kind of back drop have you got, natural or constructed?
How close are you to roads and neighbors?
Are your neighbors OK with your perverse hobby?

My range allows for 25 yards handgun use and 50 yrds (sniper type) rifle.. It's parallel a 100 yrds to a small road and has a high rise hill as a backdrop. The other side is a fenced off meadows (with cattle during the summer months).
I have an understanding with the neighbors (who are hunters and/or gun owners) that I shoot at certain hours Monday to Friday. There are other gun activities near by and we mostly know what is banging, where and why.
I keep a time table of the school bus, in order not to scare the kids coming from school.

How about retrieving your slugs? I use a multi layer wooden back drop and re-use at least 98% of my lead for re-casting. When I use metal gongs I roll out a tarpaulin underneath and it's like picking strawberries.

All and any input welcome!

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2021, 02:27:17 PM »
Since I moved I can't shoot in the backyard anymore. Where I lived before there were only five families on our 8 mile stretch of road. Lots and lots of trees. On one side I could shoot 300 yards down to the pond dam.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Doc Holiday

• Too many hobbies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2021, 02:38:59 PM »
Just curious about how you guys, who shoot in your back yard, organize things.
What kind of back drop have you got, natural or constructed?
How close are you to roads and neighbors?
Are your neighbors OK with your perverse hobby?

My range allows for 25 yards handgun use and 50 yrds (sniper type) rifle.. It's parallel a 100 yrds to a small road and has a high rise hill as a backdrop. The other side is a fenced off meadows (with cattle during the summer months).
I have an understanding with the neighbors (who are hunters and/or gun owners) that I shoot at certain hours Monday to Friday. There are other gun activities near by and we mostly know what is banging, where and why.
I keep a time table of the school bus, in order not to scare the kids coming from school.

How about retrieving your slugs? I use a multi layer wooden back drop and re-use at least 98% of my lead for re-casting. When I use metal gongs I roll out a tarpaulin underneath and it's like picking strawberries.

All and any input welcome!
Len
 I shoot into a natural berm. There is about a 25 minute walk to a river and then another 10 minutes to the nearest road in the direction I shoot.
 No house anywhere near to my left or my right. I do have a neighbor across the street from me, but he is in the opposite direction of where I shoot. And a neighbor next to him. My neighbors shoot more than I do.
 I always shoot after 9am and never after 5pm.
 I do not retrieve my slugs.

Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.”
― Thomas Jefferson
FREE MATT HOOVER.

Offline Len

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2021, 02:56:46 PM »
Thanks Hawg and Doc,
isn't it nice having neighbors that shoot more than oneself.
I asked the wife of the third house away from me if it was OK I shoot now and then. She said "bloody good, shoot often, it keeps the trash away".

Offline mazo kid

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2021, 03:41:17 PM »
When I shoot in my yard, the berm is a 100 foot high hill as a backstop. I can get up to about 80 yards for distance. A few years ago I could get about 100 yards, but the trees we planted have gotten big now! and I have to shoot just in front of them instead of between them. Neighbors shoot too so no problems so far as to noise.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2021, 08:51:57 PM »
I live in city limits. Ixnay on the ooting-shay. &*J
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Len

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2021, 05:21:57 AM »
Just saw a short news notice, that there was a shooting accident (one dead) at a Hollyweird western filming  location. True or fake news? Anyone heard something?

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2021, 06:22:41 AM »
Just saw a short news notice, that there was a shooting accident (one dead) at a Hollyweird western filming  location. True or fake news? Anyone heard something?

On Thursday, while filming the Western Rust, the movie's star Alec Baldwin discharged a prop gun, which killed Hutchins and injured director Joel Souza.  https://www.npr.org/2021/10/22/1048295916/props-gun-death-injuries-rust-movie-set-rare
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.