Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Ruger Old Army with 209 shotgun primer nipples.  (Read 5481 times)

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Ruger Old Army with 209 shotgun primer nipples.
« Reply #45 on: November 02, 2021, 01:19:14 PM »
Hola

Yes I bought it here. It's a Spanish made revolver. I live in the middle of a small town so no I can't shoot it here 'cos the neighbours will call the Cops and I'd get locked uo  :no_no:

The only place you can shoot these legally in Spain is on approved licenced gun ranges. You can hunt with rifles and shotguns over private land with permission though.

That really doesn't sound so different than being in the states?  (7+"

Offline Necessaryevil

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 02, 2021, 11:22:53 PM »
I looked at that gunsmith's website. It's very good. I think I am going to contact him and see if he can make the nipples for a Colt. I think they would work to shoot rubber or wax bullets using a 209 primer only for propulsion. That would be a neat way to shoot in your garage or basement without burning any powder.

He does do them Dave, but you need a hammer a modified one with a "firing pin" set into it to set them off.

He does do them for the Remington replicas in both Pietta and Uberti marques, Colt pattern hammers, you'd have to ask him.

Offline Necessaryevil

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 02, 2021, 11:31:40 PM »
I looked at that gunsmith's website. It's very good. I think I am going to contact him and see if he can make the nipples for a Colt. I think they would work to shoot rubber or wax bullets using a 209 primer only for propulsion. That would be a neat way to shoot in your garage or basement without burning any powder.

I just had a look at Henry Krank in the UK, he does a replacement part pack for the Pietta "Colt" blank firer.

The hammer has a "firing pin" in it.

https://www.henrykrank.com/general-accessories-spares/spare-parts/blank-firer-spares/pietta-1851-colt-navy-1860-army-maintenance-kit-blue-for-blank-firer.html

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 03, 2021, 03:52:07 AM »
Cool. Thanks for the link Necessaryevil. 😊👍

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 03, 2021, 08:57:33 AM »
Thanks for doing the legwork NE. Looks like I'd need one of his firing pin hammers and the nipples. That would be an easy swap. I suppose a guy could just dedicate one pistol to these parts, and always have a pistol ready for use.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 03, 2021, 09:43:52 AM »
Thanks for doing the legwork NE. Looks like I'd need one of his firing pin hammers and the nipples. That would be an easy swap. I suppose a guy could just dedicate one pistol to these parts, and always have a pistol ready for use.
Yeah Dave, that sounds very logical and cool to me.  :001_smile:

Offline Necessaryevil

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 03, 2021, 09:57:21 AM »

No pasa nada, you're welcome.

As I say he DOES do the modified hammers for the Remmy replicas, I don't know if he does the modded hammers for the Colt replicas.

In any event it wouldn't be too difficult to get something like a set screw set into a spare hammer which is drilled and tapped by a local machine shop.

Alan Vickers told me that the 209 primers alone with no powder give nearly 500 feet per second with lead round ball.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 03, 2021, 06:44:12 PM »
Now for the $60,000.00 question; are 209 shotgun primers as scarce as the others?
« Last Edit: November 03, 2021, 07:00:15 PM by Zulch »
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Necessaryevil

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 04, 2021, 03:48:15 AM »
Now for the $60,000.00 question; are 209 shotgun primers as scarce as the others?

Well Capt'n that's something I can't help you with  :icon_scratch:

Here is Spain I have only managed to find ONE Armeria in the whole of the country that sells CCI 209's

They're very common and readily available in the UK so when a friend drives over for a visit, I'm going to get him to bring me a large quantity and some 777 powder.