Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Walker wedge too small??  (Read 7470 times)

Online Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Walker wedge too small??
« Reply #60 on: December 18, 2021, 06:21:27 PM »
Yes, zulch. It is. What I'm trying to ascertain is whether or not I'm up the creek if I shave the washer a bit more and the slop comes back or the wedge loosens back up?

You don't want to leave it like it is. Shave it and see what happens and go from there.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Woodsrunner79

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 18, 2021, 06:35:37 PM »
10-4. Hawg
"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining" - Fletcher

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 18, 2021, 06:40:54 PM »
W79,
  You may have a wedge that has been "fitted" too much (especially if it is a "new to you"  revolver "  I can't remember off hand ). Even if it is, you can still use it.

But first, the thought process needs to go like this -   the butt joint at the frame/barrel lug (locating pins) is ALWAYS a solid contact surface. It is actually the fulcrum (think hinge). The arbor allows the barrel assy to "locate" wherever the length of the arbor dictates.  The only reason the cylinder contacts the barrel is because  - a.  The hand pushes the cylinder forward and  -b.  There is no bushing to keep the cyl from contacting the barrel. So it isn't a gap, it is a clearance or for modern terminology "endshake".  .0025" - .003"  (measured with the cylinder pulled to the rear) is a good clearance.

If you don't have sufficient "wedge" to get to the above setup, you can simply install an adjustable "wedge bearing" by drilling and tapping the end of the arbor for a 1/4 x 28 set screw. Grind the face of the set screw flat and polish it.  Drill and tap INTO the wedge slot (careful, don't break the drill bit !! Lol).  There ya go!!
 Install the set screw so that it just enters the wedge slot (with NONE OF IT STICKING OUT THE FRONT OF THE ARBOR!!) and check the wedge fit. If it's still too thin, screw set screw in 1/4 turn more and check.  This way you'll never need another wedge.

Mike

Offline ssb73q

• Gunsmoke junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 19, 2021, 08:34:14 AM »
Hi, I have widened too narrow wedges by putting the wedge flat on the edge of an anvil and pounding the wedge with a large hammer. You may need to remove the wedge spring before pounding. I need to do this for my Paterson and 1849 wedges a few times.

Buying new wedges can sometimes be problematic with the new wedges being narrower than the original.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 19, 2021, 11:06:46 AM »
ShotgunDave - for the sake of conversation: If I eliminate the gap and the wedge is too loose,  then what?

You absolutely have to eliminate that gap. If you don't, that gun will destroy itself in short order. Once you get that barrel fitting the frame properly, then you can address the wedge issue. If it's too loose, you could try a new one. if that doesn't work, you can do as Mike suggests and put a setscrew in the end of the arbor. That will fix it forever.

Also, if you have a welder, or know someone that does, you could put a bead down the side of that wedge to increase it's width. Then dress it down with a file for perfect fitment.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Woodsrunner79

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 19, 2021, 01:44:32 PM »
Thank you guys for all the fine input. I dressed the shim down to get the right fit in the arbor hole. But now must re-adress the wedge. I'm going to lay a bead of weld on it and refit it to the gun.

I just realized we've kicked this conversation into 5 pages and would also like to say thank you to all you guys.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 19, 2021, 09:38:02 PM »
Thank you guys for all the fine input. I dressed the shim down to get the right fit in the arbor hole. But now must re-adress the wedge. I'm going to lay a bead of weld on it and refit it to the gun.

I just realized we've kicked this conversation into 5 pages and would also like to say thank you to all you guys.

We're just glad to help. It doesn't matter how many pages we get up to. Look forward to hearing how it all turns out.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 03, 2022, 05:13:11 AM »

Woodsrunner79,  Happy new year to ya!! So how have things gone with the Walker/Wedge? It's been awhile so just curious if you have solved the issue? 

Offline Woodsrunner79

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 03, 2022, 02:39:49 PM »
I backburnered it a bit. I got it welded and partially dressed. Just haven't had a spare moment yet to properly fit it. Hopefully in a week or two. Thanks for checking in.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 03, 2022, 03:31:57 PM »
I backburnered it a bit. I got it welded and partially dressed. Just haven't had a spare moment yet to properly fit it. Hopefully in a week or two. Thanks for checking in.
I understand completely about lack of time. It’s the pace setting for 2022…. BUSY👍 Thanks for letting us know how it’s going. You have made some more progress 👍