Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Walker wedge too small??  (Read 7466 times)

Offline Woodsrunner79

• View Profile
Walker wedge too small??
« on: November 22, 2021, 02:37:56 PM »
Is the wedge on my newly acquired Walker too small. There's a gap on either side of the wedge and "slop" in the barrel.
"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining" - Fletcher

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
Re: Walker wedge too small??
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2021, 03:23:30 PM »
What do you mean "slop in the barrel"?  Part of your problem is the arbor is too short.  That's an easy enough fix but first check to see if you have a loose arbor. To check it, you need to chuck up the arbor in a vice and try to move the frame back and forth.  That's a different issue. Fix that first and then the short arbor.  You'll end up with a " mean" revolver!!

Mike

Offline Woodsrunner79

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2021, 04:27:33 PM »
Thanks Mike.

I haven't vised it yet, but here's what you can feel with it together, on the gun. There's no perceived up/down movement to the barrel assembly when its together. No increase or decrease in cylinder gap. It does however have side to side play. The arbor lines up perfectly with the cut-out for the wedge on the barrel. (I'm sure you're correct that it's in need of adjustment, I just wanted to ascertain if the wedge is incorrect for the gun 1st.)

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2021, 04:51:35 PM »
If it were "too small" the head of the wedge will go all the way flush with the barrel lug with the majority sticking out the far side. Does it?
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Woodsrunner79

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2021, 05:04:08 PM »
I believe so. To go any further, I'd have to remove the screw. It's bottomed out against the screw.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2021, 05:22:38 PM »
The wedge should be bearing against the front of the slot in the arbor, and against the back of the slot in the barrel. From your pictures, it looks like it's doing exactly that. If the barrel is still "loose" I'd address the short arbor. That will move the barrel assembly forward a bit, and cause the wedge not to go in so far. It should also cure the looseness, unless the arbor itself is loose. If that's the case, Mike has very easy to follow instructions on how to remedy that.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Woodsrunner79

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2021, 05:33:08 PM »
ShotgunDave

It's hard to get a decent picture of it, but there's zero contact to either portion of the barrel cut-out(front or back). It's only bearing surface is the top/bottom portion of the cut-out. Which I think accounts for why it moves side to side and not up/down.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2021, 08:15:07 PM »
It likely doesn't move up and down due to the frame/barrel alignment pins

Offline Woodsrunner79

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2021, 02:54:51 AM »
Captainkirk

That makes sense. I'll tear it apart and give the arbor a thorough examination. Any chance there's a link to the instructions on Arbor correction?

Offline 45 Dragoon

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2021, 06:03:57 AM »
The first thing to look at would be the wedge slot without the wedge installed. Like  ShotgunDave said, the forward bearing surface should be the forward end of the arbor slot.  The rear bearing surface should be the rear end of the slot in the barrel assy.  If the rear of the slot in the arbor is in line with the rear of the slot in the barrel assy,  that's the first problem. If that is the case, the wedge isn't doing anything but fitting into the arbor slot and barrel is just along for the ride. The fix in this case is to file the slot in the arbor further to the rear. This will definitely mean you need a new wedge.  Unless .  .  .   you drill a hole in the end of the arbor into the wedge slot, tap it and install a flat and polished face set screw (1/4" X 28). This will give you an "adjustable wedge bearing"  which means you can adjust for any wear or customize the wedge position to you preference.

That is an old Walker copy!! Looks like ASM or ASP make.

Mike

Offline AntiqueSledMan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2021, 08:33:58 AM »
Hello Woodsrunner79,

I've put together a little diagram which might help explain,
Let's say the Black rectangle is the hole in the Barrel looking from above,
and the Red rectangle is the hole in the Frame,
and the Blue rectangle is the Wedge.

There should be a gap in front of the Wedge on the Barrel, and also behind the Wedge on the Frame.
The Wedge is pulling the Barrel (from the rear side) towards the Frame (against the front side).

If you do have a gap on each side after it's in tight, I believe you are correct and your wedge is not wide enough.

I hope this helps (if I didn't mess it up), AntiqueSledMan.

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2021, 09:09:06 AM »
ShotgunDave

It's hard to get a decent picture of it, but there's zero contact to either portion of the barrel cut-out(front or back). It's only bearing surface is the top/bottom portion of the cut-out. Which I think accounts for why it moves side to side and not up/down.

That's definitely a problem. Sounds like the best solution is like Mike suggests. Open the slot up more to the rear and get a new wedge. Unless you want to go the set screw route.

I didn't realize your gun is not an Uberti. Depending on what year your gun was made, it may have several issues. Certain years of ASM manufactured guns are notorious for poor quality. They can be fixed though. Mine was a mess. It had every conceivable problem. But I sent it off to Mike, and he turned it into a stunner. Something you may consider doing with your Walker.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2021, 10:02:20 AM »
But I sent it off to Mike, and he turned it into a stunner. Something you may consider doing with your Walker.

Definitely the fix-all. And well worth it, I might add!

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2021, 11:23:58 AM »
But I sent it off to Mike, and he turned it into a stunner. Something you may consider doing with your Walker.

Definitely the fix-all. And well worth it, I might add!

Most definitely.

Mine was a disaster. The arbor was loose, the barrel didn't match up to the frame, the arbor was short, the wedge fell out, you name it. Not to mention the action worked like it had gravel in it. Mike literally turned it into an heirloom quality gun. All for very a reasonable price and turnaround time. Specially considering all he had to do to it.

I know I sound like a Goons Gun Works fanboy, and I certainly am. But his work really does speak for itself.
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2021, 04:44:02 PM »
That is an old Walker copy!! Looks like ASM or ASP make.
Mike

I don't think ASP/Euroarms made a Walker. I've never seen one or even a pic of one that I can remember.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.