Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Bolt on ASM Dragoon Model II  (Read 5073 times)

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Bolt on ASM Dragoon Model II
« on: May 03, 2022, 11:28:46 AM »
Okay, I bought this Replica Arms ASM awhile back. I just finally had a chance to look more closely. I pulled the cylinder off and I noticed the bolt looks kind of small compared to others that I have. Also, the hand has slop in it. I can pull the hammer back but at times it is a little precarious and requires and extra pull with my thumb to get it to lock at the second stage of the trigger. The bolt seems to engage fine and the cylinder doesn’t appear to have any rings. What say ye? Someone possibly file the bolt? I also need to break the revolver down completely and see what’s going on with the hand too. When in the first position the hand has front and back free movement which is the slop I am referring to. Is that normal? Thoughts and or suggestions from anyone will be most appreciated. Picture to follow.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2022, 05:07:24 PM by Zulch »

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
Re: Bolt on ASM Dragoon Model II
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2022, 11:48:01 AM »
Definitely looks like someone had their way with the bolt. It looks small. If the hand moves back and forth, it sounds like the spring is weak, bent or broken. You'll need to take it apart and see.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2022, 12:14:14 PM »
Definitely looks like someone had their way with the bolt. It looks small. If the hand moves back and forth, it sounds like the spring is weak, bent or broken. You'll need to take it apart and see.
Roger that Dave and Thanks. A weak or broken spring makes sense. I will do that and take some photos for posting. I bought this one on GB. :-/ LOL It purty but it need help an tlc.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2022, 05:09:10 PM »
A correction. I was wrong about the hand having slop in the first trigger position. It’s fairly firm at that position. It has the slop at the second trigger position.

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2022, 10:40:27 PM »
If it wiggles or flops just from changing position of the gun the spring is probably bent or broken. It is relatively easy to push back into the slot but it should pop back out when you let go. If it wiggles side to side it's too narrow for the slot. Some side to side movement is to be expected. IMO if the gun functions as it should don't worry about it.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline AntiqueSledMan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2022, 04:05:35 AM »
Hello Zulch,

I once replaced a broken Trigger/Bolt spring on an ASM with a Uberti spring,
it was a direct replacement for one of my 1851's. But I will add most parts between
my two Armi San Marco's wont interchange.

AntiqueSledMan.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2022, 05:03:05 AM »
If it wiggles or flops just from changing position of the gun the spring is probably bent or broken. It is relatively easy to push back into the slot but it should pop back out when you let go. If it wiggles side to side it's too narrow for the slot. Some side to side movement is to be expected. IMO if the gun functions as it should don't worry about it.

Hawg, Thank you sir. So, you are referring to the hand it sounds? Correct? If so, when the trigger is fully cocked back the hand does have side to side movement and if you point the gun north the hand falls back and if you point the gun south it falls forward. Hope that makes sense. I haven't fired the revolver yet. The thing that is most odd to me is that it often requires an extra pull back on the hammer to seat properly?

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2022, 05:10:09 AM »
Hello Zulch,

I once replaced a broken Trigger/Bolt spring on an ASM with a Uberti spring,
it was a direct replacement for one of my 1851's. But I will add, most parts between
my two Armi San Marco's wont interchange.

AntiqueSledMan.

Thank you ASM. It sounds quite possible that I may be able to change out some of the internals with Uberti parts if necessary? I looked on VTI and noticed that most ASM parts are unavailable. I've still yet to break the gun down to explore further. Regarding screws. Do you happen to know if Uberti or Pietta screws will fit an ASM? I have a boogered up screw that I would like to replace.
    Also, I assume that the bolt, as long as it appears to be functioning properly, should not be of concern? The size just seems a bit tiny comparatively speaking. The ASM Model 3 Dragoon that I have has a larger surface area bolt. Again, as I'm often told, I overthink things. Thank you for your reply.
Tim 

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2022, 06:05:59 AM »

Hawg, Thank you sir. So, you are referring to the hand it sounds? Correct? If so, when the trigger is fully cocked back the hand does have side to side movement and if you point the gun north the hand falls back and if you point the gun south it falls forward. Hope that makes sense. I haven't fired the revolver yet. The thing that is most odd to me is that it often requires an extra pull back on the hammer to seat properly?

Ummm no. If it falls forward and back depending on where the gun is pointed the hand spring is broken. If the spring is broken when pointed muzzle up the cylinder wont turn when you cock it.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2022, 06:11:08 AM »

Ummm no. If it falls forward and back depending on where the gun is pointed the hand spring is broken. If the spring is broken when pointed muzzle up the cylinder wont turn when you cock it.

Ahhhhhhh, I see. Thank you Hawg. I did fail to mention that the slop in the hand occurs when the cylinder is off the arbor. Based on what you have said I will put the cylinder back in and point northward and see if it indeed does still turn. Thanks for your input Hawg.

Offline G Dog

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2022, 12:23:06 PM »
Zulch, you're asking people to guess for you.  Open it up, look things over and then you'll know.  There is no substitute for a visual observation.  Good luck.
"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
                                                   --   Aristotle

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2022, 12:27:05 PM »
Zulch, you're asking people to guess for you.  Open it up, look things over and then you'll know.  There is no substitute for a visual observation.  Good luck.

Good point, G.
BP gunsmithing isn't magic. Changing out broken or worn parts is easy.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2022, 12:49:28 PM »
That is obviously true. Time is the avenger. In the meantime nothing wrong with casual conversation. I thought that was what forums were/are about? 🥴
« Last Edit: May 04, 2022, 12:59:10 PM by Zulch »