Banner image by Mike116

Banner image by Mike116

Author Topic: Remington 1875 Frank James last revolver.  (Read 2493 times)

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
Remington 1875 Frank James last revolver.
« on: May 16, 2022, 07:13:48 PM »
The Remington 1875 single action revolver was the gun that Jesse James older brother Frank James was carrying when he surrendered in 1882.    The 1875 was loosely based on the 1858 New Model Army cap and ball revolver but the similaritiy was mostly the "sail" under the barrel.   The grips, and round barrel don't resemble the 1858 at all and of course the 1875,  sometimes called the Frontier Army uses metallic cartridges.
Remington always seemed to be a step or two behind Colt and his revolver business and the 1875 was no exception.   The 1875 came out two years after Colt introduced the Peacemaker design and Remington never could catch up.   
There were at least 3 variations of firing pins but the same hammer assembly was employed for all 3.   Grips were 2 piece walnut but Ivory or Mother of Pearl were an option.   

I own the Uberti replica 1875 in the photos below and have fired it quite a bit.   I like it for what it is but it's obvious to me why the Colt 1860 Army had a bigger following.  The hammer is a bit of a reach and the grips are kinda fat for my hands.    I don't know if the originals were the same way.   

Here's a few links for more information and some photos just because pics are always better than words.

http://collections.theautry.org/mwebcgi/mweb.exe?request=record;id=M538878;type=101

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexperience/features/james-frank/

https://truewestmagazine.com/the-peacemakers-clone/

Offline Bishop Creek

• View Profile
Re: Remington 1875 Frank James last revolver.
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2022, 07:20:10 PM »
Thanks for the informative post Mike, and as always, your leather work is exemplary!
My biggest concern is that when I pass away, my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them.

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator Extraordinaire and Part-Time Gunslinger
  • Administrator
  • "Never said I didn't know how to use it" M.Quigley
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2022, 07:30:01 PM »
Excellent post, Mike! Your gun has some of the nicest CCH I've seen in a long while, and the leather is just amazing!
I was aware that Frank was a '75 owner, how do you rate yours against other guns of the day? For example, Jesse's S&W? Is yours chambered in .45 Colt?
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline ShotgunDave

• Gun Geezer
  • Administrator
  • Black Powder Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2022, 07:37:14 PM »
Great stuff Mike. I was curious too if yours is a .45 Colt.
"Never trust an actor with a gun."
-Abe Lincoln

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2022, 07:54:20 PM »
Looks as if Frank toted a brace of the '75s in .44-40 as well as a Winchester chambered for the same.

Offline mike116

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2022, 08:21:33 PM »
Yes it's .45 Colt,  as is my Schofield.   I wanted 44 WCF but can't ever seem to find one when I have the money. 
If I have a choice I would shoot my '1871 Richard's conversion (also in .45 Colt).   I really haven't shot the Schofield enough to be objective though.

Offline Marshal Will

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, it makes people wonder what you're up to.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2022, 09:40:42 PM »
Great thread, Mike. Thanks for starting this one.

I own the Uberti replica 1875 in the photos below and have fired it quite a bit.   I like it for what it is but it's obvious to me why the Colt 1860 Army had a bigger following.  The hammer is a bit of a reach and the grips are kinda fat for my hands.    I don't know if the originals were the same way.   

The original I got to handle didn't feel quite as bulky as the Uberti equivalent.

Here's a photo of the holster Frank James turned in with his 1875 Remington.

And one I made like it, slightly shortened because the pistol it was made for had a shorter barrel.

Note the cutout Frank made along the upper part of the fold so he could cock the hammer while the pistol was still in the holster.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2022, 06:14:22 AM »
Great post Mike!!. Thank you for the links as well. Headed that way now to get myself educated further on Frank James. Your revolver and your holster leather work are both beautiful!! Z

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2022, 10:21:01 AM »
I found this in an article in the Wallstreet Journal. Is this true? I cannot confirm. I find it very possible that he may have once owned an 1851 at some point in his life though. What say ye?
"former president of Maker's Mark, has a .36-caliber 1851 Navy Colt cap-and-ball revolver that belonged to Frank James, brother of Jesse James."

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2022, 10:40:36 AM »
I found this in an article in the Wallstreet Journal. Is this true? I cannot confirm. I find it very possible that he may have once owned an 1851 at some point in his life though. What say ye?
"former president of Maker's Mark, has a .36-caliber 1851 Navy Colt cap-and-ball revolver that belonged to Frank James, brother of Jesse James."

Not entirely out of the realm. The James boys started off during the ACW, at which point nothing was available besides C&B revolvers.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2022, 10:52:50 AM »
That's what I was thinking Cap. All very interesting. One has to wonder how one allegedly winds up with these infamous guns?
Found out an interesting thing to me personally, Pvt Robert Franklin “Bob” James, son of Frank and Ann/Annie/Anna James died two days before I was born. Found these on Find A Grave site. Again, I cannot verify but here it is.
PVT, Co G, 2nd US Cav....Spanish American War, enl 9 May 1898 at St Louis MO, discharged 24 Jan 1899 at Huntsville AL w/remarks: "PVT, Very Good". Eyes: Grey, Hair: Brn, Complexion: Dark, Height: 5'4".
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/52854444/robert-franklin-james

Additional interesting info on Franks Mother Zerelda James. Read that she was nearly 6 feet tall!! Note: There appears to be a missing limb in the picture at bottom??
"A visit from detectives of a private agency caused the loss of one of Mrs. Samuel’s arms when the men, in their anxiety to capture Jesse James, threw a bomb into the house."
« Last Edit: May 17, 2022, 11:59:09 AM by Zulch »

Offline Captainkirk

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2022, 10:59:53 AM »
Now, that is cool! Something I've never seen nor heard about anywhere else!

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2022, 01:33:33 PM »
This is one gun in a series by Uberti  called "the outlaw" specifically it is the Frank gun. Any comments on this one? Nickel plating. Nice looking gun I think. Pricey? Yes.

Offline Hawg

• Now you went and done it!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2022, 01:43:09 PM »
I handled one just like that at my LGS when I bought my RM. It felt weird and muzzle heavy.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Zulch

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2022, 02:01:42 PM »
Muzzle heavy huh Hawg? Okay, so does the ring on the bottom of the grip have a purpose? It looks like it could be hung on a nail.